1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil catch can

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Detective_Dan, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Aug 11, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    Tacotime99

Tacotime99 The Angry Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Bumpers Sliders Skid plates 33" tires
  2. Aug 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    LMAO Newegg!!!!????? I only thought they were computers, comp parts, tvs, electronics etc…that is interesting. Is there the option of not adding the top filter and keeping it closed?

edit: I see there is.

3. Aug 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    ^^ I just got mine from newegg a couple weeks ago. Version 1 was $85 free shipping. It was through a newegg reseller, not newegg itself. Installed last weekend and will check on it after first oil change.

4. Aug 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    Tacotime99

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    So you see mine is set up like that. But I'll add that the bolt on top actually has a built in o-ring in it to help seal the can on top. I was thinking I would add some gasket sealant or get an o-ring for it like i did the "dip" stick next to it. So when I saw the built in gasket/o-ring I just left it.

Overall, I'm not seeing the benefit of the $85 version vs the $58 version...I got a cool little filter (that I'll never use).

5. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    less the breather on top, that's teh same can as this
    http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Catc...UTF8&qid=1407784253&sr=8-9&keywords=catch+can

and unless your turbo/super charged, you don't wnat the breather.

might as well save some money on a can that has a reputation for leaking. i've had a real fun time getting mine properly sealed.

7. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    TRDh4vok

TRDh4vok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    Palm Beach County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD PreRunner Sport
    -4" MaxTrac Spindle lift -5100 RCD Bilstein's -1/2" Strut Spacer driver's side (Taco Lean fix) -1/4" Strut Spacer passenger side (Taco Lean fix) -4" Tapered Blocks -Extended length U bolts -Front Skid Plate -Exhaust Tip -Tube Steps - Silver -Bed Extender -LEER Tonneau Cover -Rampage Roof Cab Lights -Rampage Tailgate Light Bar Six Function SUPERBRITE with Reverse Lights, Running Lights, Brake lights, Emergency Hazard and L & R turn signals -exLED Toyota Tacoma Custom interior LED Light Kit -PIAA Xtreme White Plus head lights and fog lights -NITTO Terra Grapplers 285-70-17 -30" Avec CR-Series Led Light Bar in bumper grill -Two 6.5" Led light bar's attached to the A pillars -Hood hinge bracket mounts from Famous Fabrications -Exhaust muffler Aero Turbine AT2525XL -OEM Roof Racks -OTTRAW Rocker switch -Stant locking gas cap -Large T emblem and mid mount bracket from Diaz Fabrications
  8. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    so you are saying the W1 cans leak? Is the link you just sent the one you have? I don't want the breather at all. Just was going to leave it plugged if I got one.

9. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i've got the one i linked. if you look at it closely, it's identical to the one you linked, minus the htreaded hole int he top for the breather. i'm pretty sure they all come from the same factory in chine, and then get various company names engraved.

10. Aug 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    I could honestly careless what brand. I just want to know it it sealed and does the job. Does that one leak at all? Shoot I will just scoop up one of those.

11. Aug 11, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    it does leak, but is fixable. the bottom section is threaded and unscrews from the rest fo the can. when you first get it, unscrew the bottom, load up the threads with your favorite gasket maker, and tightent he crap out of it.

12. Aug 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM
    Tacotime99

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    I'll have to keep an eye on mine, but no leaks as of today (and i drove the piss out of it when installed it yesterday).

Thanks for the heads up. Glad I only spend $58 on this lol. I did keep all the stock PCV hose so I can always take it off.

13. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    These are known to leak period. Countless threads around the web about them leaking. They leak where the oil level indicator plug into the body of the oil can. I had them and they are POS. I'm glad I bought the W1. 19k miles on the W1 and not one single drop leaked. You get what you pay for :thumbsup:

14. Sep 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Yup^^^^^^

15. Sep 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    I installed my Oil Catch Can in April of 2014 with 75,000 miles on my '08 PreRunner. Today I changed my oil after 5,000 miles and was amazed at the amount of oil that was collected!
    IMG_6156[1].jpg

IMG_6157[1].jpg

IMG_6158[1].jpg

IMG_6159[1].jpg

That is a 20oz Gatorade bottle (not the small ones).

16. Sep 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Dang I need to get one of these^^ f that is a lot of oil

17. Sep 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan [OP] "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    probably the last "oil amount" update ill do, as im sure you all get it by now.

10,000 miles on the dot, and heres what ive saved from being pushed back into the motor

SAM_0766_zps7d1a56c2_d0af881753dde6c5ff3c7ab019c16dbce7dedc17.jpg

18. Sep 15, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Into the engine then into the atmosphere. Even if a person isn't a tree hugger, that makes me cringe thinking about all of that oil being burnt and vaporized, from all of the cars on the roads. Keeps the engine clean and makes the engine a little more green. :)

19. Sep 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan [OP] "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    my main concern is the motor lol.

20. Sep 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM
    Deerhunter1911a1

Deerhunter1911a1 Jeeper gone Taco!

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD V6 6-speed MANUAL BABY!
    None yet. Soon to come.
    Looks like the only place to find this specific can now is on eBay. $89 silver or $99 black. Ill be installing a black one shortly. Only 35k miles on my girl now; gotta keep her clean!

Products Discussed in

To Top