1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch squeaking?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ninj, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Aug 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    Ninj

Ninj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White TRD Off-road SR5 6 Speed
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    I have a 6 speed manual transmission. I’ve recently noticed a small squeaking, almost sounds like a squeaky belt, while my foot is not on the clutch. When I depress the clutch the squeaking stop…Any ideas on what the problem may be?

6 Speed.jpg

2. Aug 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    wannabetrd

wannabetrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3inch front 2inch rear lift with add a leaf and extended brake lines trd exhaust
    Sounds like a noisey throw out bearing

3. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    GsxRtaco

GsxRtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I had the same problem it was the throw out bearing. There's a tsb out on it might as well change the fork right away, if you look up the tsb you'll see what I'm talking about.

4. Aug 12, 2014 at 5:34 AM
    Ninj

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    URD True Cold Air Intake URD MAF PnP Version (Very easy to install) Full Custom Exhaust 2.5" Stainless Steel Pipe, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2 stock catalytic converters (2 cat deletes), X Pipe, Dual Flowmaster Super 44s, 2 Jones 18 inch stainless steel tips, Full exhaust exits before rear passenger wheel like the SVT Lightning (I have Krisxone’s 09+ ECU adapter so I can go URD Boosted, Tested and working) 3 Inch Ultimate Toyotech lift (Silver Painted Coilovers) with Old Man Emu Leafs (No add-a-leaf here)
    Thanks for all the replies guys!!! If I run the truck for a week without fixing it right away (On road, no offroading), can I potentially hurt the transmission? If so I won’t I just want to know the magnitude of damage this might unleash...I hear the sweaking right from start up and the sweaking stops when I fully depress the clutch to the floor

5. Aug 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    Ninj

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Haha I'm not looking to grenade anything on my Tacoma, I made an appointment with the dealer I will ride my R1 until the Tacoma is fixed....thanks for the info Berk!!

6. Aug 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
    6 speeds don't have the pilot bearing. If your not under warranty go to urdusa.com and get their TOB and steel sleeve. It will fix your problem. Our TOB rides on an aluminum shaft that eventually gets worn and causing the squeak.

7. Aug 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    Rideslikeagirl

Rideslikeagirl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jewels
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    2" leveling kit, extra leaf in rear, BFG tires on 17" Fuel wheels, side steps
    Same thing happened with my 2010. It doesn't hurt to not fix it right away but it does become annoying as hell. Toyota did a recall but replaces it with the same crappy part. Best to go aftermarket and replace it with a steel sleeve.

8. Aug 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Ninj

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    I'm under warranty and I'm having the stealership look at it today. Of course on start up it didn't squeak today and the whole ride to the dealership it didn't squeak at all...On the URD site I only see a short throw shifter

9. Aug 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    Check out East Coast Gear Supply. I think they sell the sleeve. URD makes it and there is another company that sells the part as well, (sorry can't remember who). This is def. your prob though, common on 6spds. Dealer will prob fix if still under warranty, but i promise you the problem will return sooner or later.

10. Aug 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    Ninj

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
  11. Aug 13, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    offgrid taco

offgrid taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ned
    mass
    Vehicle:
    18 cement TRD sport 6sp manual ac cab
    Mine has had the squeak for 200k miles and still works ok. Its not going to grenade or leave you on the side of the road, its just annoying.

12. Aug 13, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
  13. Aug 13, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    Ninj

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    It's under warranty Toyota is going to fix it, I bought the URD upgrade, I'm going to install the upgrade after the OEM work is done...Thank guys for all the help!!!

14. Oct 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    hotrodrob

hotrodrob Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Tacoma
    leveling kit, after market wheels, camper shell
    09 Tacoma was making a chirping noise at idle which stopped after depressing the clutch pedal. It was diagnosed as the throw out bearing. I let the dealership know that I'd researched the issue online and that it seemed to be a chronic problem with these vehicles. Without mentioning this, I'm not convinced the dealership would have looked into any further. Before the dealer researched the TSB, they said the warranty department would not cover the throw out bearing because it's looked at as wear and tear after about 10k (plus or minus) miles. After finding the TSB, the warranty department covered it. I was glad to hear that the $1300 estimate (entire clutch kit replacement including clutch plate resurface) got reduced to a $50 deductible!! A member reported on another thread that his warranty was up, but the dealership cut the labor in half since there was a TSB out for the issue. They replaced the slave cylinder with one that is sized differently than the original part, the throw out bearing, and maybe one or two other items.

Products Discussed in

To Top