1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer vs. A.R.E. truck caps - opinions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MusicOn, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Apr 21, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    Ken b

Ken b Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Surprise, Az
    Vehicle:
    14 offroad 4x4
    ARE shell, bedrug, TRD wheels
    Just go to both websites, they are identically built.

2. Apr 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Not really

3. Apr 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    DCLBFTW

DCLBFTW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    06 dclb
    OME 887's, Bilsten 5100 up front at 0, dakers and nitro-charges in the back, 9500lb winch, 42" led light bar on an oem rack,ridgid d2's up front and 4 duallys cut in the bumper, Back rack with highlift mounted and a uws tool box 2500 watt power inverter, Body Armor4x4 front and back bumper, leer 100xq cap, all pro skids and sliders
    got a leer 100xq and i love it
    :D

4. Apr 22, 2014 at 3:17 AM
    saltair

saltair Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport
    Undercover has a nice looking tonneau cover and they have a newer version that came out this year for the Ford, GM and Dodge. Hopefully Toyota will soon follow.

5. Aug 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    saltair

saltair Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport
    Does anyone have the Leer 100XL with the over head lock box. What 's your opinion of the lock box?

6. Aug 16, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    I have a hot for the Leer 180cc with roof racks but I can't justify spending that much moolah on it at this point.

7. Aug 17, 2014 at 6:51 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I went from a tool box, tonneau cover, softtopper, and now an ARE CX cap with windoors.
    Best purchase ever. Super pleased. It was a hard choice deciding on a shell or not. With a lot of help from TW people I made my mind up. Love this thing.
    I have no experience with Leer but I'm sure they are just as good as ARE.

[​IMG]

8. Aug 17, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    saltair

saltair Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport
    NICE!

9. Aug 17, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab

10. Nov 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    timothom

timothom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Access cab sr5
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    Went to a local dealer today, the only one in the area. They can't get Snugtop..yet.

They have both Leer and ARE, the prices for Leer are a couple hundered more for a comperable ARE. They talked me into a Leer, I like the 2-row gasket that seals against the bed. They quoted me a price of about $1950 for everything for a Leer 100R with a carpet headliner and a sliding fold-out front window. I like the two manual locks on the back of the 100R. I don't really want the locks tied to my keyless entry or ignition.

That's the price out the door for everything. Seems kind of expensive to me, although the headliner and sliding front window do add a couple hundred to the options.

Just wondering what people think of that price here? And also the Leer toppers in general...

11. Jun 10, 2015 at 5:30 AM
    Tacoma Mountains

Tacoma Mountains New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4WD Short Bed Crew Cab
    Helper Springs and a disappointing Leer Cap
    Good morning Campers. I've just joined to share my Leer experience. It was disappointing, and I'd recommend a very thorough look before you buy. Talk to others in the area with Leer caps to see how the dealer treated them. I sent a long letter (below) to both Leer and Leonard, the franchise that installed the cap, and received a fairly useless reply from Leer telling me to take the truck back to the sub-standard dealer. Buyer beware. I had never heard about A.R.E. caps, but I wish I had before I bought the Leer. Anyway, here's what I wrote, and here's the reply I received. Do your research...

P.S. Something I didn't discover in time to be included in the letter below - the LED interior dome light only works when either the parking lights or the headlights are on. Stupid, unacceptable wiring in the harness.)

First conversation, sent on the Leer website, on 2 Jun 2015:

I know your company only has so much influence with dealers, but I had a bad experience yesterday with the Leonard store in Asheville where we purchased our 100XR for my 2013 Toyota Tacoma. The purchasing part was easy - the owner of that franchise, Kevin - was attentive and assured us the cap would be a perfect fit, without any issues.

He talked us into the carpet on the interior when we mentioned we'd be transporting a dog back there, and that would be great, except after a single rain, the interior carpet is wet in about a 2' section, and I can't figure out where the moisture came from. The bolts holding the cap to the bed stick down nearly 2" below the aluminum blocks that attach the cap to the bed, where they will surely injure a dog or human in the back, or tear anything that is placed inside. The wiring harness for the lighting is loose and if I don't attach that somehow to the side, it will tear out quickly. And finally, the installation took nearly 3 hours because (according to Kevin) the cap wasn't a perfect fit. While we waited he took a grinder and ground off fiberglass so the truck tailgate would actually close with the cap in place, leaving bare fiberglass that he tried to cover up with a piece of rubber that didn't stay attached on our initial drive home. Finally, the truck cap was turned over to us with the cap being absolutely filthy. I have photos if you're interested, but I fear this might simply be what you expect from your dealers.

Overall I'm very disappointed in Leonard of Asheville, and disappointed that your cap didn't fit correctly without nearly 2 hours of grinding fiberglass. And by the way, whomever installed the passenger-side side window cranked down a couple of the bolts tight enough to visibly deform the metal frame. I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Is my experience the norm for your product or did I have a right to expect better? If I replace the extra-long bolts with ones that do not hang 2" below the rail, will I be voiding any warranty? Since I now have bare fiberglass in two places on the back of the cap, should I expect delamination in those areas due to moisture intrusion? Will the installed carpet mold and mildew because of water intrusion? (I know the cap is not waterproof, but this carpet is soaked, )and it doesn't seem like the area below the window and above the wet carpet is wet, leading me to believe it's not coming in from the front window). Why did I pay nearly $1,800 for this if I would have had the same problems with cheaper caps? I hope to hear from you.

The response I received from Leer Customer Service on 9 Jun 2015:

Sorry that you Leer cap experience wasn’t what you expected. I can assure you that the Ashville store is a top notch dealer, with that being said some time minor adjustments need to be made at installation time due to variances in truck boxes, if you are unhappy with your cap, I would recommend that you take it back to the dealer and they can send it back to be examined for leaks and to fix any of your other concerns.

So, am I expecting too much? Was I wrong to not settle for what I see as shoddy work? Just wanted to share this experience from my point of view...

bruce

12. Jun 28, 2015 at 5:52 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I'd take it back and get them to fix the mistakes. If not get a refund

13. Jun 28, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    i have the are z series cap on mine. only problem i had after 3 yrs was the window handle in the back glass cracked. replaced under warranty by me. they supplied the parts to do it. the only fail on my part was to not get the sliding tilt in window in the front of the thing. my bad

14. Jan 26, 2016 at 5:43 PM
    A.R.E. Sucks

A.R.E. Sucks New Member

Member:
    I WOULD NEVER DEAL WITH A.R.E. AGAIN! THEY WON'T SUPPORT THEIR PRODUCTS. I had paid way too much for one of their canopies new and it was only 8 months old when the tempered glass in the back flip up window shattered. They don't make a replacement window, they force you to buy the whole door. If that wasn't bad enough, they wouldn't work with me directly. Dealers mark up the parts a lot and then won't sell it unless they are paid to install it. That's another $200, if you can find a dealer that follows through. The factory doesn't for some reason forward emails with all the data about your canopy they require to even email them a question. Then the dealers drop the ball. After 8 months, many volleys with the A.R.E. factory and two dealers, I still am driving around with a new canopy and no back glass or security for the shell. I wish there was a law against this kind of B.S. and I wish some authority though it was worth pursuing. I fully regret buying A.R.E.

15. Jan 26, 2016 at 5:44 PM
    hcm

hcm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    ^Just a little sketchy that the account was made for this sole purpose. Love my leer 100R by the way. Bought used and colormatched paint is still in great condition, all moving parts work as if brand new, and it looks great on the truck.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. Jan 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    A.R.E. Sucks

A.R.E. Sucks New Member

Member:
    Come visit me in Oregon and say that to my face. Is it so hard to believe that a USA manufacturer won't support a premium product in this country? I'm not a big fan of LEER either, but on my other truck, at least that company was willing to send me an engineering pdf of the back window so I could make a replica out of plastic. Yes, I made the account for this purpose because I have no other recourse against this company but to convey my experience to others so they are aware of such practices. I hope A.R.E. finds this thread someday since communicating with the peons at customer service makes no difference. I'm not expecting the execs in their ivory towers to bother with actual consumer opinions. I wish someone would have told me about them so I could have avoided A.R.E. All of you be happy with your canopies from A.R.E. but you'd better hope you never need a replacement part.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    BassAckwards likes this.
  17. Jan 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Search ARE in the search bar and let it rip brother

SPREAD THE WORD

18. Jan 26, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  19. Jan 26, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    Leppz

Leppz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport Premium
    You should talk with your insurance company regarding the shattered broken glass. It could be a cheaper option than having to fork out the money for a new flip-up window yourself.

A.R.E does cruise this forum.
    @areaccessories
    Try PMing them about your problem.
    I'm sure them not selling just the glass insert and only the whole window/door is because of a valid reason like the way it is hinged and assembled.

I had a problem with one of my windoors hinges binding on my A.R.E. when first bought my cap. The only way to fix it was to replace the whole windoor.

20. Feb 13, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    denver osborne

denver osborne Octoyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Deej
    California coast
    Vehicle:
    toyotatruckonly
    I am wondering why folks like the flip down front window so much... my dealer mentioned that it is easier to clean the back of the truck but I could do that with a fancy skinny brush. From the cheapness I ahve seen with all these the last thing I want is a another crappy mechanism to break

BassAckwards likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top