1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amateur (Ham) Radio BS and Callsign Thread!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Traveler, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Any one have a good site for how to properly guy your antenna. I know the absolute best is to go out the same distance as how high the guy wire is, but I also know there are some math calculations for moving the ground point in.

Please keep in mind that I haven't guided an antenna since I was in the Army (a long time ago) and we went out the distance of the cable, which was precut to the right distance. I am sure they taught me the formula back then, but I was like... "the wire is precut, why the hell do I need to know this!"

2. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Great writeup, thought I would bring this over here and share it.

Original article can be found at http://www.4x4ham.com/content.php?297-Ham-radio-antenna-mounting-for-2004-Tacoma&

3. Aug 9, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Try the Rhon tower site I think they have a diagram.

ry the

4. Aug 13, 2014 at 1:09 AM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    N6EAJ. I use a FT-8800 in my 1st gen Tacoma with a Diamond NR-73BNMO antenna. I mostly use it to rag chew on the way into work, but occasionally get out to the desert and it is great for communicating with a group.

[​IMG]

Matt

5. Aug 13, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Damn. that is a clean truck!! Nice setup.

edit: What are the switches for? above the mic & below the radios by the usb charger.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. Aug 13, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    Update on my project:

I got a used Diamond x50a with 30' of coax, a 8' steel pole and folding tripod... all for a smoking deal.

I will use it as is until I get my new fiberglass telescoping poles. Need a few more pennies in the piggy first.

plan to build the drive-on mount and hitch mount.

Started building a case for the antenna, got 2" pvc and put screw caps on either end. It fits, with only half an inch to spare with the tailgate closed (running directly front to back). Going to paint it, then put a pad at one end of it (reduce shock when loading antenna). Need to make a bag for the ground rods and mounting hardware.Should all store nice and safe on the trail and in the garage.

Ordered the mounting bracket for the face plate from Yaesu (back ordered). Only $3, order two just in case.

Still need a speaker... anyone have a small one they want to donate to my project? :anonymous:

Found a flexable mounting rod sitting in the garage, going to mount the face plate and speaker to the rod and then it to the trak system in the bed.

This should give me a kick-ass field setup for working events.

Pics will come later.

7. Aug 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    To the right of the USB charger is the level control for my subwoofer amplifier. Before the new stereo, the furthest right button changed between turn signal modes on my corner lights (kind of a long story :) ). I replaced that stereo with a different stereo that had a backup camera input so I made that same button turn on my backup camera so I can see what is behind me even if I am not in reverse. A more recent picture.
    [​IMG]

The switch above the microphone..... that is my super secret switch. :rolleyes:
    Getting back to ham radio stuff..... the brawn of the FT-8800 is mounted behind the rear seat.

[​IMG]

Matt

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. Aug 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    How do you like that stereo? How is the glare?

I have been thinking of upgrading my stereo and about adding a backup camera, but not a huge fan of the video display in the mirror types? The glare on my Kenwood is killing me.

And back to ham...
    What antenna do you have and where is it mounted?

9. Aug 13, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    I like the stereo mostly because I really like having a backup camera that doesn't need a separate display and I like having the album art displayed. It is the KIV-701 with the Bluetooth module plugged in. It doesn't have a CD player. I have a 32GB memory card plugged in. I also like that the memory card plugs into a cable so you don't have a card or thumb drive sticking out the front of the radio waiting to be broken off. With a iDevice, navigation and cover art is a breeze. It takes a lot of conforming to get the album art to show off a memory card (only supports cover art from MP3s, can't be too large of file, and the image has to be JPG). I think the KIV-701 is discontinued, but the KIV-901 is still sold.
    Normally glare isn't a problem, but if the sun is just wrong it can be hard to see the album art. The display is big enough that I can normally see necessary info.

The antenna is a Diamond NR-73BNMO and I have it mounted on the driver's side rear corner of the bed. I would like to have it on top of the cab for the best radiation pattern, but I would have to remove it or fold it over every time I went in and out of the garage and I am just too lazy for that.
    [​IMG]

10. Aug 14, 2014 at 4:30 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I would not get too concerned with the pattern I really doubt that you could measure the difference. Mine is also mounted there I would prefer to just break the antenna instead of yanking it out of the roof and having to repair that too. The loading twist in that type of antenna gets caught in things pretty quick. The antenna I have mounted back there is a 3 band antenna it's 61" long and I have broken it twice on trees. The HF antenna on the other side is low enough that only the whip hits the trees I have to fold the 3 band down the remove the HF whip to get into the garage.

11. Aug 14, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra

I took heat shrink and put it on the loading twist, to prevent it from getting caught on anything.

12. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    Lavadog

Lavadog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernie
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD
    ICON 2.5 Ext Travel C/O w/Resi, 2.5 ICON Rear w/Resi, ICON UCA, Dakar Springs, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/75/16, Method Racing Wheels 301, K&N CAI, WeatherTech mats, HomerTaco Satoshi Grill, de-Badged, Pelfreybilt Cab Mount Chop, Pelfreybilt Skid Plate, Custom Pelfreybilt Sliders
    Taking my Technician Test tomorrow morning, any advice on the Test?

13. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    llibrm

llibrm OH NOOOOOO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Winthrop, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB, 06 LC120 (sold)
    Pelfreybilt Aluminum Bumper, KING 2.5 on all four corners, 4x4 illuminated switch, Cobra 75 w/ 3' Firestick, 2M/ 70cm Radio w/ Diamond NR770HB, Pelfreybilt bed bar, Lightforce Stiker 170s, BD 20" OnX6, BD S2 ditch lites, BD Fogs
    you know it, you got it. Its easy if you read the manual. dont freak out. Ask for your general afterwards. Its easy too.

You got this

14. Aug 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    Lavadog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernie
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    ICON 2.5 Ext Travel C/O w/Resi, 2.5 ICON Rear w/Resi, ICON UCA, Dakar Springs, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/75/16, Method Racing Wheels 301, K&N CAI, WeatherTech mats, HomerTaco Satoshi Grill, de-Badged, Pelfreybilt Cab Mount Chop, Pelfreybilt Skid Plate, Custom Pelfreybilt Sliders
    Thanks for the confidence boost.

15. Aug 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    JackDaRiffer

JackDaRiffer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    How did it go?

I passed the Extra this morning.

16. Aug 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Congrats!

17. Aug 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    Lavadog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernie
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    I also passed this morning. Congrats for passing the Extra.

18. Aug 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    JackDaRiffer

JackDaRiffer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    Congrats!!! Thanks!!

19. Aug 18, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    Lavadog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernie
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just received my Callsign: KK6ONT

I guess I should stop dragging my feet and go buy a radio.

20. Aug 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Congratulations to both you and JackDaRiffer
    If you are looking for VHF/UHF without spending a bunch, the Baofeng UV5R is a heck of a deal. An external antenna can really make the 5W go a long ways. I bought one as a backup/loaner radio a year ago for $44. I see they can now be had for $33 and free two day shipping if you do Amazon Prime.
    http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5RA-136-174-Dual-Band-Transceiver/dp/B009MAKWC0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408424027&sr=1-1&keywords=baofeng

I used my VX-7R (handie talkie) in my truck with an external antenna for a few years before going to a dedicated mobile radio. It is nice having a mobile radio always hooked up in the truck, but the $$ investment is a lot more.

Matt

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top