1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AR-15 BS Thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by BulletToothTony, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Aug 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Got the gas block and gas tube off, attached are videos of the gas block and BCG end of the gas tube, and the picture is of the gas hole in the barrel (Diameter is slightly larger that a 5/64ths punch).
    Gas block end
    [​IMG]

BCG end
    [​IMG]

Gas hole (looked burr-less to me)
    [​IMG]

2. Aug 21, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Hey guys,
    I live in CT where AR's are considered evil. My brother bought an AR22 setup from a less than reputable shop and the thing runs like crap. My impression is that they bought a polymer complete lower and polymer complete upper from MidwayUSA or some comparable place and snapped them together. However the lower had a polymer hammer and the 22 bolt was too narrow for the hammer to fit into as it is about twice as wide as a steel hammer. They sold it to him with the hammer not striking the bolt, but getting hung up on the bolt rails because they pay that little attention. Most of why he bought it was that it was a "legal?" way of getting a lower. But we would like to get this thing up and running. They shaved down both sides of the hammer to make it fit, but it is getting light strikes among other issues.
    I bought a Boonie Packer Better Mag adapter hoping my 15-22 mags would help iron out some of the feed issues, but it wont quite fit, which leads me to beleive that it is a DPMS or Tactical Solutions because the Boonie site says they wont work with those companies, and both companies sell relatively cheap uppers that would be the kind the shitty gun shop would go for.
    I think I am going to try to file down the boonie to get it to fit the contours of the upper better, and am going to try a steel hammer.
    I know there is not a lot of failure info here as it has been a while since it has been fired, but are there any suggestions?

3. Aug 21, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    Put a steel hammer in it. Try different ammo (what are you using anyhow) get it at least halfass running and pawn it off on some other sucker. You'll do nothing but regret spending money on a polymer lower (other than Cav Arms)

4. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    My guess is it is a chiappa upper. Those things are notoriously crummy. Can you get a picture of it?
    Based on what you wrote, I would try a metal hammer.

5. Aug 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Thanks, I will order a metal hammer after I measure the hammer pin.
    Are the things to look for to determine who made the upper? I didn't see any marking.

6. Aug 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    Not bad, Reach out to 300 and put em all within a half dollar and you'll be set!

7. Aug 22, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    300? Yds? With irons? Man, I can barely see past 100 yds. I'm gonna need a scope past that.

I've never shot paper at 100 yds, but I can ping the medal targets all day long at 100 yds, although I can't vouch for my accuracy at that distance.

One thing I noticed when shooting at 100 yds during the last few rounds of my mag, is my eyes get fatigued when shooting that far. Any tips you guys recommend to work on the fatigue?

8. Aug 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    do you shoot with both eyes open?

9. Aug 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    With the AR, I think I have been one-eyeing it. That is probably leading to my fatigue. Will have to start training with both eyes open.

I shoot my XD9 with both eyes open though.

10. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    t.hornstra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Irons can reach out to 600 with a rifle length barrel. You're focusin on the front sight post, yea? at first, you can focus on the target for a reference of center mass, but revert back to the front sight post. This should be crystal clear. You'll see the target moving in the background but breath normal. Keep a high grip on the weapon and squeeze the trigger. The whole time keeping the front sight post clear. people fatigue themselves when they try and focus out to a distance, squint, readjust their eyes and eventually fatigue their body from trying to hold the weapon from swaying.

11. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    t.hornstra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    You can shoot one eye for iron sights. Only time really both eyes can be open is close range and with a red dot type optic. Just dont be squeezing the hell out of your face to close your eye. should be almost natural and gently closed.

12. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5 Premium
    OK I posted a pic of my pistol build a week or so ago and finally had the chance to bring it to the range.

Started out with a standard carbine buffer spring and carbine buffer. It wouldn't cycle either 223 or 556 ammo. OK, I had purchased a Springco Blue spring recommended by someone more knowledgeable that I on AR's....still no go. LGS advised running an H2 buffer.

Using the Springco spring and H2 buffer...no go

Using the standard buffer spring and H2 buffer it will cycle 556 no problem..will not cycle 223. Oh and although it cycles the 556, the bolt doesn't lock back after the last round...bummer

Suggestions?

10.5" Radical Firearms upper Gas port .092
    Aim Surplus NIB BCG
    PSA LPK
    Anderson Mfg. Lower

13. Aug 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Ted. I gotta practice focusing on the front sight instead of the target.

14. Aug 22, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    Depends on your eye dominance. If you're RT handed with a strong RT eye dominance you can shoot pretty much anything with both eyes open (obviously the same is true left handed with a strong left dominant eye. If you're weakly dominant or cross eye dominant your gonna end up squinting

15. Aug 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yea I shoot RT handed, but am LT eye dominant.

16. Aug 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Yea I'm the other way around :(. I'm sloooowlllyyy training myself to shoot with my left eye, doing pretty good, but still use both eyes every so often and it throws me off on long range.

Picking up a Henry Survival rifle AR-7 in eh..9 days :D and have a hold on a Ruger Scout with a left handed bolt (yay)

17. Aug 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Are you sure your hammer spring isn't installed backwards?

18. Aug 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    That's what it sounds like...

Weird how a heavier buffer will allow it to cycle better...

19. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    Anyone ever used freedom munitions?

They have a brass trade in program where they give you $2.50 towards your order for each pound of brass you give them. I can fill a 5 gallon bucket up in a weekend at my local public range and then ship it in a large flat rate box (holds 40-50 lbs). I could probably fill up 2 of the boxes with what I can get in a weekend if I stayed there all weekend

20. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    You can sell that brass for more than 2.50lb. I wouldn't go for it

Products Discussed in

To Top