1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Cruise Install on 2004 V6 4x4 Manual Trans. WITH PICS!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by buzzhead8189, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Aug 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    buzzhead8189

buzzhead8189 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 4x4 Manual Everything
    Icon Coilovers and Rear Resi, Dakar Springs, CBI Sliders, Homemade Rear Bumper
    Like many others I didn't realize my truck didn't have cruise control until after the deal was done. I installed factory cruise and took some pics. All credit goes to brando113 for posting up the basics years ago in the following thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/6621-add-factory-cruise-control-your-1st-gen-tacoma.html

"It is surprisingly easy to add factory cruise control to your 1st Generation Tacoma (Except 5VZ-FE 2WD M/T, 3RZ-FE and 2RZ-FE). So what I am getting at is: all of the 6 cylinder A/Ts and 6 cylinder M/Ts with 4WD already have most of the equipment needed for cruise control. The actuator is the electronic throttle control motor and the brain is the ECU." - brando113

SO, if you don't have the electronic throttle control motor you probably need the following writeup.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/336686-2001-tacoma-cruise-control-install.html

If you DO have the electronic throttle control motor, keep reading.

Factory Toyota Parts Needed
    Clutch Switch Assembly: 82280-14030
    Brake Switch Assembly: 84340-04030
    Speed Switch Assembly: 84630-0C010
    Three little screws. No idea. Found some in my scrap heap that worked...

Tools Needed
    10mm wrench
    14 mm wrench
    Phillips screwdriver
    Tiny straight blade screwdriver
    ?T30? TORX bit
    Dremel with drill and sanding drum
    - May be substituted with pocket knife, file, torch, or teeth

Time Needed
    2.5 Hours

Step 1

Disconnect battery with 10mm wrench.

[​IMG]

Step 2

Locate the Clutch Switch plug. It is hiding under the dash in front of the left kick panel.

[​IMG]

Step 3

Remove clutch pedal return stopper bolt with a 14mm wrench. Circled in the pic below.

[​IMG]

Install Clutch Switch Assembly where this bolt was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember that plug you found? Plug it into the Clutch Switch Assembly. (Note: You may or may not have the linear spring in the photo. That is the squeaky clutch fix.)

[​IMG]

Step 4

Unplug and remove Brake Switch Assembly with 14mm wrench. It is located under the dash above the steering column.

[​IMG]

Replace it with your new Brake Switch Assembly and plug it in.

[​IMG]

Step 5

Using a small straight blade screwdriver pop the little round screw covers out of the steering wheel shroud. Careful! They fly out with great enthusiasm and get lost immediately. There is one on each side.

[​IMG]

Remove the TORX screws, they have retainers so they won't come all the way out, which is okay. (Hillbilly Note: I used a T27 and it is NOT the right size. Too small, but it did work.)

[​IMG]

Grab the airbag and start wiggling it towards yourself. It's kinda wedged in with friction. Don't get too crazy though, there are wires inside to be mindful of.

Unplug the small black ground wire and the yellow plug from the airbag. Both circled in the photo below. Set airbag aside.

[​IMG]

Step 6

Go unwrap your brand new Speed Switch Assembly

[​IMG]

Remember that little black ground wire? Notice how it is all alone in a 6 pin plug? Your new Speed Switch Assembly has the same 6 pin plug. That little black ground wire needs to be transferred to the new switch's plug.

[​IMG]

Now is a good time to make sure this whole operation might work. Go reconnect your battery and plug the Speed Switch into the steering wheel. Turn on cruise and see if the dash light illuminates. After this go back and disconnect your battery so the airbag doesn't kill you during reassembly.

[​IMG]

Step 7

Eyeball where the switch will go to determine where to make a hole for the switch.

[​IMG]

Get your Dremel out and go crazy. Sanding drum worked great. This is what I ended up with.

[​IMG]

Probably could be made smaller if you take the whole steering wheel off or already have a nice writeup to follow. ;) The hole need not go quite so close to the driver.

Test fit your switch and trim as necessary. Keep in mind the function of this switch. It needs up and down and backwards clearance.

Step 8

Mount the switch and plug everything back in. I reckon the screws intended to be used to mount the switch are identical to the brass looking ones in the top of the following photo. They are like 1/2" long wood screws. Be mindful of the routing of that little black wire.

[​IMG]

Step 9

Press your airbag back into place. Install TORX screws and little covers.

Admire your new cruise control control.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 10

Reconnect your battery and go for a test drive.

Look Ma! No feet! And a functioning original clock!

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

StillCrawlin likes this.
  2. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Nice write-up! Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your new cruise control!

3. Aug 23, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    yqa5u6y2_381838d46215642abbcc36c9602d7febac4674d7.jpg

Based on this picture, this mod is a no go for me?

4. Aug 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    buzzhead8189

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    Looks identical to mine. Have a look in this thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/336686-2001-tacoma-cruise-control-install.html

Hunt around your truck for the currently unused plugs. I hunted and didn't find either of them on my truck so I came back to the forum and found brando113's thread.

"It is surprisingly easy to add factory cruise control to your 1st Generation Tacoma (Except 5VZ-FE 2WD M/T, 3RZ-FE and 2RZ-FE). So what I am getting at is: all of the 6 cylinder A/Ts and 6 cylinder M/Ts with 4WD already have most of the equipment needed for cruise control." - brando113

I would say based on your picture and 2004 V6 A/T you could do it the way I showed.

5. Aug 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    Darryle

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    Mine is a PreRunner, not 4wd though, still a possibility?

6. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    buzzhead8189

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    I interpret brando113's statement as:

V6 A/T: This method works
    V6 M/T 4X4" This method works
    Every other combo: This method doesn't work

I could be very wrong. I'm still new to the Tacoma world.

7. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    Darryle

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    Okay, soon as the funds replenish, I am getting on this.

Thanks Darryle

8. Jan 23, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    Darryle

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    This is all that I needed for my 2004 PreRunner Automatic:

Speed Switch Assembly: 84630-0C010

Worked like a champ, Thanks for the motivation!

The 3 screws are:

#10 x 3/4" pan head for the innermost screw going thru the aluminum of the steering wheel
    #10 x 1/2" pan head for the two outermost screws just going thru the plastic of the switch

I also used a 1 1/8" carbide hole saw for my hole in the steering wheel trim, was a snug fit though.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  9. Jan 24, 2015 at 6:37 AM
    buzzhead8189

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    Glad you got it sorted! Life is much better with cruise.

10. Apr 19, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    Joey1954

Joey1954 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    I have a 2003 Automatic 2WD with out cruise. Am I correct in understanding that the only thing you added were the 3 screws and the speed switch assembley, you did not need the brake switch or the module under the hood on the 2001?

11. Jun 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    NrF

NrF Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    Basic
    Ha!
    Answer? (also have a 2003 2.4 auto)

Thanks

12. Jun 13, 2015 at 11:41 AM
    Nowhereman04

Nowhereman04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tar Hill Blue NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 04 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    Bilstein 5100's front, Bilstein 5125's rear
    Nice write up man.

13. Jun 13, 2015 at 12:29 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    on my 04 sr5 prerunner with auto v6 it was as simple as just putting in the CC switch for the steering wheel and that's it, it works perfectly.

the 04's with auto tranny are ready to go, you just need to install the CC switch and plug it in to have CC

Products Discussed in

To Top