1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED thieves Will Have To Work Hard To Get My Light Bar

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cootdawg, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Aug 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    cootdawg

cootdawg [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    East Tennesse
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma TRD Sport
    3 inch Readylift,17x9 Mickey Thompson Sidebitter wheels and Baja MTZ Tires , Window Tint, Black Emblems/ Decals ,In channel VentShades , 23 inch LED light bar, Black Nerf bars and Bull bar Shorty Antenna , TOY black 3rd brake light cover
    Tacoma MT Z 016.jpg

Tacoma MT Z 031.jpgEveryone knows LED light bars are expensive and most guy's mount them on a bull bar or light bar which is easily and quickly removed by someone if they are brave enough to take the chance on getting caught. I had mine on a bull bar and thought of this so I took the bar off and made some custom mounting brackets and installed the light behind the lower grill, My light is 23 inch long but you can mount up to a 31 inch light in this location , bigger the better right. I've had the light mounted in this spot for 4 weeks now with no cooling problems to the engine or any other issues.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. Aug 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    North222

North222 Well-Known Member

Member:
    How was getting the lower grill out? I thought about doing the same thing with my 31" light on my 2014 but didn't feel like pulling off the bumper skin or damaging the grill connectors. I went with a bull bar.

3. Aug 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    cootdawg

cootdawg [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    East Tennesse
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma TRD Sport
    3 inch Readylift,17x9 Mickey Thompson Sidebitter wheels and Baja MTZ Tires , Window Tint, Black Emblems/ Decals ,In channel VentShades , 23 inch LED light bar, Black Nerf bars and Bull bar Shorty Antenna , TOY black 3rd brake light cover
    I didn't take the bumper off , I made 2 custom brackets and mounted them onto the bolts that attach the frame to the front aluminum bumper supports ( the same bolts you use if you mount a bulbar on your truck then bolted the light bar to the custom brackets I made, If you go to a local fab shop they can make you some for around 20-30 bucks. You install the custom brackets from up under the front end, just crawl up under the front bumper and you'll see what I mean, there not a lot of room to work in but I think it's worth the cost and effort because no one will spend the time to steal it, plus if you offroad you wont tear your expensive light off. Hope this helps

4. Aug 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    North222

North222 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to take another look at the room also. I have an SC so there's the extra cooler, etc to work around. The way it is now it looks kinda cool on the bull bar but I would feel safer if it were hidden. Yours looks great BTW!

Products Discussed in

To Top