1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 tacoma transfer case 4x4 automatic

Discussion in 'New Members' started by OhioBBD, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Aug 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    OhioBBD

OhioBBD [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4
    Hello everyone I am new to the site. I am also a new Tacoma owner. Today I drained and filled my tranny but in the process what I thought was the fill plug turned out to be the below instead. now the below pic in not my pic its one i found on the net. However, this is the plug I took off by mistake.Now i lost about a 1/4 quart of gear oil before i got this plug back in and bolted down.

So next week im going to drain and fill the transfer case and i see the drain plug and fill plug for it but this is up above what i think is the fill plug for the TC. What is this plug? and do I fill from this point? I lost some gear oil from it will draining and filling put gear fluid back up there?

transfer case.jpg

2. Aug 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    OhioBBD

OhioBBD [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4
    Well after some research I found out this plug was on early 2005 taco and this is where the speed sensor goes for the manual tranny. now My only question I have remaining is if I drain and fill the transfer case, will oil reach back up there after I lost 1/4 quart?

3. Aug 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Why don't you just put a cup of gear oil back in?

4. Aug 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    OhioBBD

OhioBBD [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4
    I am going to drain and fill this weekend.. But this sits high up on the transfer case and according to everything I read when you fill the transfer case its only up until it starts to run out of the fill hole which rests half way between the drain plug and this plug pictured in my post.. I guess my assumption would be when the truck is running it throws oil up to that area up top? Would that be a correct assumption?

5. Aug 26, 2014 at 12:25 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    that would be called splash lubrication...and yes, it will lubricate the entire inside of the transfer case.

Howard

6. Aug 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    OhioBBD

OhioBBD [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4
    Well I changed out the fluid in the transfer case with full synthetic took just a little over 1 qt until it started dripping out of the fill hole then greased all the fittings along the drive shaft have to say it was pretty easy job and seems to take out alot smoother. I like the fact at how easy it is to do maintenance on the taco. Next weekend I will change out the rear differential gear oil for full synthetic.

7. Aug 31, 2014 at 4:50 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:

nice, keep up the good work...

Products Discussed in

To Top