1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I think my AC compressor is seized

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stuligan, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Aug 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    Stuligan

Stuligan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    Hey guys and girls, I started having an issue with my AC Thursday evening. When I started the engine with the AC turned on the belt screamed to all hell and smelt pretty bad. My AC light on the center console blinks when I try to turn it on. I'm pretty sure it's seized but has anyone had this problem that would be able to tell for sure? Thanks.

EDIT: Hey guys, I've figured out that when this case the compressor isn't actually seized! It still needs to be replaced, but it's not seized. The issue is the dampener that connects the clutch to the actual compressor wore out, and that's what was causing the squealing that I thought was the belt.. So the compressor still works (I'm pretty sure), the clutch still works, and so does the pulley. But them all working together doesn't work.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Aug 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    If the belt screams when the compressor clutch was engaged, but not when disengaged, yeah it is a seized compressor.

3. Aug 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    Fan-freaking-tastic... know where I can get one for a reasonable price?

4. Aug 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Check the clutch hub. A lot of times the rubber separates from the inner hub, and when you turn on the AC it squeals like a bad belt until the light flashes.

Still a pain in the butt, Toyota wants an arm and a leg for a new clutch, but cheaper than a seized compressor for sure. When mine went I found a salvage compressor for under $200 and swapped the hub.

5. Aug 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Ebay has kits pretty cheap. If the compressor blew it sent shit into the rest of the system. Pretty easy to install all the new parts yourself, than get it charged for $50 somewhere.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Aug 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    I just pulled mine off I'm doing a total part out. 50 bucks for the compressor it works perfectly fine

7. Aug 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    Hey. I had the exact same thing happen to me about three months ago.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/331383-air-conditioner-broke-any-thoughts.html

I got one from this website.
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...bal&N=0&Ntt=2009+Toyota+Tacoma+A/C+Compressor

Good Luck!!!

8. Aug 21, 2014 at 4:05 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Thanks for the tips guys, I ordered a new compressor and it arrived yesterday, just need to go a couple more days without it till I can install it on the weekend.

9. Aug 26, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Bump; not sure how the forums work when you edit the first post, but I've found the issue for all you who have made the assumption of the problem/might have a similar problem in the future.

10. Aug 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    ^^ Interesting....so have you gotten it fixed yet? Curious who fixed it and how much it is going to cost at the end of the day?

Cheers

11. Aug 26, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    She's still sitting in pieces in my driveway since saturday waiting on a new alternator and tensioner pulley. I'm not paying someone to work on my truck :p. I'll have Canadian tire charge the ac system for me, but that's about it.

I found a compressor online for about $350 after shipping. The dryer is inside the condenser on an 05, so I elected to not change the condenser for now. It may turn out that I need to, but I'm not forking out $315 to Napa right now to do that. I spoke to a few friends who have done their AC, one of whom is a Toyota Service Tech, and they said as long as debris isn't floating around in the system then I shouldn't need to replace the condenser/dryer. (Compressor didn't fail, the dampener did, so no crap floating around inside, and I sealed off the hoses as soon as they were disconnected from the compressor.

I also elected to replace all my idlers, the tensioner, and the alternator while I have the truck apart. The alternator was a replacement based on when I took it off the plastic casing on the back of it was all cracked. It's more of a precaustionary thing. I'm also upsizing from the 90A Alt to the 130A, both are OEM parts. (trucks with tow packages get 130A). The idlers and tensioners are due to the bearings feeling dry, and I wrecked one of the idler bearings when I pulled it out of the idler to grease it. The belt will also be new once I put everything back together.

12. Aug 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    :)Sounds like you've got a good plan; just remember to buy an o-ring set and lube them a bit before installing/connecting. Backing wrenches where necessary tightening aluminum lines, etc. etc. A good vacuum by the pros will clean out enough of the vapor moisture as long as no liquid gets in.
    Should be good to go

13. Aug 27, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Thanks man, I need to get the correct O-rings first. The whole thing is buttoned back together except for the AC lines.. All the ports and hose ends are still sealed off... Toyota gave me the wrong o-rings. So it will be a couple more days before I can get back to the dealer and try again to get the correct parts.

14. Aug 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    jdvailco

jdvailco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    92 2wd reg cab 4cyl manual >> 05 Prerunner Access Cab 4 cyl manual >> 15 2wd access cab 2.7
  15. Aug 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    Stuligan

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd

Products Discussed in

To Top