1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Arbitration didn't go well..........

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by XJ1100JKen, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Aug 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    A lot of my statement was sarcasm. I find it hard to tell when you're being serious on Tacoma World:p.

If enough Tacoma's with driveline vibration issues hit the used market and the truck you are trying to trade vibates, then yes I could absolutely see it effecting your Tacoma's trade in value.

BUT...

There is so much demand still for Tacoma's that I don't see it seriously effecting the overall resale values of the Tacoma. Take a look at the Jeep Wrangler. Those things are a ticking time bomb when it comes to vibes, transmission problems, transfer case problems, engine issues, squeaks, rattles, rolls, etc yet they hold there value better than 90% of the cars and trucks on the market. Demand trumps all and unless this issue gets to the point where it effects most of the Tacoma's on the used market and drivers shy away, which isn't happening, then the value of the Tacoma will not drop.

Now...

[​IMG]

I still want to see how this resolves for the OP. He seems to be a normal guy with normal expectations that's at his wits end dealing with Toyota. Should I ever get in a similar situation it'd be nice to know his outcome.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. Aug 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Make for some hysterical commercials.

Toyota TRD presents new for 2015 Tacoma and Tundra line.
    The Technical!
    If you have hostages to take, a government to overthrow, or a rival faction to annihilate you need dependable vehicles.
    We've listened to our customers worldwide.
    Naturally the Technical has all the features you've come to associate with Toyotas legendary quality.
    But The Technical offers more.

2500w conditioned power supply handles most weaponry systems.
    Upgraded bed for mounting light weapons.
    Sunroof with stabilized gun mount.
    Semtex Ultimate security system renders your Technical theft and tamper proof.
    Blacktooth scrambled security GPS-Glosnass-Galileo/EnTune with SatCom means your and your team's boss and moneyman stay secure while still letting you jam the tunes.
    Expanded underseat storage suitable for cargo or hostage.
    Upgraded air-conditioning; face facts, when four guys can't shower for a month, live on field rations and adrenalin, the locker room whiff is going to need combatting.
    [​IMG]

Contact Fleet Sales for volume discounts.

3. Aug 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    .... really .... you watch to much Fox News .... or it's the only thing you tune too .... are you also the guy who wouldn't own a Mitsubishi cause dem jap zero's shot at your daddy .... just saying that's a pretty silly excuse not to buy a vehicle ... it's not like toyota offered them the technical sales trim lol.

Tacoma has the best retained value in Canada. It's number 2 or 3 in the states. That's a fact just as much as you were offered a cruddy number for your trade in. I hope you like your Ford. My company went Dodge this time around and I hate mine. I wish I could go back to an F150.

4. Aug 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    XJ1100JKen

XJ1100JKen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    ok, DS arrived, there was some shipping damage to the dust shield on the yoke. Already spoke to Bob about what to do.. he apologized for the inconvenience and said whatever it takes to make it right, they'll do it. I am going to try and straighten the shield out a bit, if it fit's into the outer dust cover (tail shaft) and runs true, we'll leave it like that. If it doesn't run true, Bob has offered to cover all cost to ship both ways to replace the yoke and re balance the DS.

I should have it installed shortly and take it for a test drive if possible.

5. Aug 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Waiting for results. I'll be extremely curious what's going on with the Tacoma if this fix works. :popcorn:

6. Aug 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    Well, sadly I only have bad news. The DS made no difference in the vibration.

IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg

7. Aug 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Bad deal. New lawyer or new frontier time?

8. Aug 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    Yeah, my hopes were high..big disappointment. I did make contact with the Toyota service manager regarding the Eva report with specific vibration details, he offered to bring the Tacoma in and install a recent TSB. It addresses low speed vibes and has resolved a couple of cases with higher speed vibrations.
    I just need to re-install the two piece DS and take it to the dealer next Tuesday, they'll measure the pinion angle and order the corresponding spring pack. Sounds like there are a couple other components too, a trans mount and steering wheel damper. Better late than never...

9. Aug 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Yeah, it's pretty low brow of them to only offer these solutions after you've gone this far.

10. Aug 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    Agreed. We'll give it a shot, if it works, great. If not, well let's not go there quite yet!

11. Sep 5, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    Well, I had really hoped the latest TSB (rear springs, steering wheel damper and engine insulator) would resolve or at least reduce the high speed (intense at 70+) vibration... no cigar. The service manager said "Toyota is aware of the vibration but doesn't have a fix at this time, maybe they'll change something in the redesign that will get rid of it."

I have a really hard time believing that so many people would be content with a vehicle that vibrates as bad as this one does at 70+ mph. Especially with how fast most people drive here in TN! I do realize not everybody drives at or above the posted speed limit.

I would really like to hear from any 2nd gen Tacoma PreRunner Access cab v6 owners that do or don't have vibrations at highway speeds. Maybe we can isolate the problem to a specific build date, or range of time.. thanks

12. Sep 5, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I'm with this answer.
    OP I am sorry that has happened.
    In all the years I have driven a Toyota truck (several since 1987), they have ticked, squeaked, or vibed. All my manual trucks eventually got the squeaky, creaky clutch pedal that I still read about on TW. The rust first was on their seams, now the frames. The leaf springs sqeaked & sagged over time. IMO, the "characteristics" became more prevalent once Toyota stopped producing trucks with JT VINs and moved to ones starting with 4T.
    That said, none of my rigs even cost me much more than regular maintenance and brought miles & miles of smiles. I could even sell them no problem even with odometers in high 150k range.

I know your question was experience in the 2GEN vibes. I can tell when I bought my 2013 I drove over 6 different configurations. I bought the one that didn't vibe.

Wish you the best

13. Sep 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    My 4x4 2013 DCLB does not have these vibes, for whatever reason.

14. Sep 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    They did try a set of 17" wheels off a TRD 4x4 that did not have the same issue with vibrations... At least that's what I was told.

15. Sep 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON

Yeah, never even considered there would be these kind of issue with a new Toyota. It has been an expensive lesson in purchasing a new vehicle..and soon to be even more expensive.

Thank you.

16. Sep 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    Thank you..

17. Sep 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Do you know where your Taco was manufactured?

I have this theory. I want to stress that it's only a guess that could use some looking into and it may not help you at all.

I'm pretty the Texas plant only assembles double cab models now. All other configurations come from the Baja Mexico plant. Maybe one of the of the factors in whether a truck shakes or not is whether it was built in Texas?

My truck, as well as most of the trucks in western Canada, come from the Mexican plant. The vibration issue is not nearly as common up here. I have two friends that have Taco's in my year, all Mexican taco's, and they don't have the issue either. I even talked to a few local dealers about the issue, and while they've had a truck or two with small vibs, they didn't seem to think there was a widespread problem out here. I know they could be bs'ing but I figured I'd mention the chance that it's a possibility. Could the Texas plant trucks have more pronounced issues? It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. Maybe then it'd be easy to find out if there's something different done to the tranny's (more/less fluid within spec, different source of electronics for tranny, etc.) that could be causing this issue.

I know, it's just an idea. Figured it may be worth sharing.

18. Sep 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I'm not an expert but issue seems to be random. is it because the tail of the transmission is not bolted inline with the rearend causing the driveshaft not to be straight in line to the rear. seems like an easy fix.

19. Sep 6, 2014 at 7:03 AM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    Just looked it up. The first letter is T = California. Prior to the arbitration, the field service tech tested my Tacoma and two others on the lot. From what I recall, they were all three were delivered to the dealership during the same period. I think the build date was 12/2013 on all of them as well. It doesn't sound like all that many 2014 prerunner Tacoma's are having the high speed (highway speeds) vibrations. So can it really be a characteristic if all of them don't have it? Or was it isolated to one manufacturing plant, and/or one specific component (frame, trans, flexplate ?) during that particular time span?

And just for the record. The vibration at highway speeds this tacoma has, is not a little/slight buzzing or barely noticeable.. It shakes the seat, doors, the floorboards, center column etc. It is fricking annoying as hell! And, I can't imagine it's not going to cause premature wear throughout the vehicle..

20. Sep 6, 2014 at 7:21 AM
    XJ1100JKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BIG SILVER LEMON
    I'm no expert either, which has been painfully obvious based on my wasted effort and money trying to resolve this issue.

I'm pretty much done trying to fix it. At this point, I'm gathering information for the lawsuit. I have talked to other dealers in the area regarding the issues and how Toyota of Murfreesboro, TN. dealt with the issue from the beginning. They both state that TOM did not take make the effort to keep the customer happy. I talked to the sales manager at Cool Springs Toyota yesterday about the possibility of trading this thing in (don't really want to burn somebody else though).. He said they have a 3 day return policy, our stealership did not, he actually said there was no chance of doing that.. our truck is a used vehicle now.

Products Discussed in

To Top