1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Modified Taco, to keep or to sell

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mtelkhunter, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Aug 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    Mtelkhunter

Mtelkhunter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Custer,SD
    Hi all!
    I'm new to the forum and to the world of Toyotas, hence my problem. I bought an '01 Tacoma with 120k to use as a hunting and daily driver vehicle. After checking it out, I've come to realize all the mods that have been done. It has a 3" body lift, a 3" suspension lift and has had a SAS. The lifts were obvious, but being green, I didn't even know it was supposed to have ifs.

I wasn't after a serious off-roader, just a get around decent 4x4 with decent economy. My question is; would it be better to just sell this thing to someone who would use it, or should I go back to semi-stock for what I want it for?
    I got into this thing fairly cheap, as the body isn't great.

Any suggestions?
    Here's some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. Aug 29, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    Tacotime99

Tacotime99 The Angry Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Bumpers Sliders Skid plates 33" tires
    Keep it, tons of people mall crawl in jeeps and they never see offroad. Needs a good cleaning on the underside. But it looks good.

Might want to get a drive shaft made to connect the front so you can actually use it as a 4x4. But just because it's SAS doesn't mean it's a rock crawler.

3. Aug 29, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I'm assuming you have drove it on the street at high way speeds? If it has good street manners I say keep it. Just a good tune up under the truck IE check ball joints, steering linkage, get a front drive shaft, clean and paint everything under the truck & and pull the body lift off if you can.

Also post some pics of where the links mount to the frame just seeing that the axle was pulled from a Jeep and noting was changed makes me think corners might of been cut when fabricating the front set up.

If it's set up safely and handles on the road well I don't see why you cant DD the truck. Mine is a DD linked front and rear on 37's.

4. Aug 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    Mtelkhunter

Mtelkhunter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Custer,SD
    Appreciate the insights guys. I have the front drive line, u-joints were so bad I pulled it to wait for parts before it dropped in the road.

The frame connectors and links are from some kit it looks like. The cross member and frame connections for links are not home made for sure.

It drives like crap right now, tie rod ends are wore enough I'm actually scared to drive it as is. First comes new tires, tie rod ends and get rid of body lift. Guess I'll keep it and enjoy.

Thanks

5. Aug 29, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Personally I consider a really expensive but badly done SAS to be way worse than a stock IFS, especially if I'm not needing a solid front.

If I can make it safe and turn a profit, I'd do that and buy a truck that actually is what you are after instead of trying to make do with one that isn't.

Products Discussed in

To Top