1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cree DR 30" experience?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Texasantilib, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Aug 29, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    Texasantilib

Texasantilib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 4.0 V6 Tacoma
    Weather Tech digi fit floor mats, TechDeck w/Ram mounts, Leer XR100, 13" AntennaX, Stainless braided brake lines, AFE air filter
  2. Aug 29, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I haven't heard of the brand before but if you are looking for something a little less expensive and still really high quality, check out AVEC off road lighting.

http://www.avecproducts.com/

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/336748-finalized-avec-pricing.html

GREAT pricing, excellent customer service and FREE shipping!! Doesn't get much better than that.

I, personally, have their 30" CREE DR bar and I love it. Great output and heavy duty construction. Cannot say enough nice things about them. I will be ordering their dually lights soon to convert my OEM fogs and will eventually get a 50" DR of theirs to mount on the roof!

3. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    To me, it looks like it's just another reseller. A lot of people just buy them wholesale in bulk from China and resell them for profit. See those exact looking bars all over eBay from China. You'd get one cheaper there and probly a longer warranty than 1 year. About all you'd be getting is faster shipping and easier return if you purchase in U.S. tho. Look elsewhere I say.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Sep 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    jktwenty

jktwenty Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    little 4x4
    ok, well here is a little secret. CREE did not manufacture this light bar, CREE however manufactured the l.e.ds in it. CREE is the largest manufacturer of l.e.d's in the world... Rigid, trailboss. ect, most likely ALL use CREE l.e.d's. ( i dont even think there is another manufacturer of l.e.d.s) The difference in the light bars is the driver board (how much power is sent to the l.e.d's) and the light housing. If you are willing to dismantle this light and re-assemble it with some silicon and maybe even possibly upgrade the board, this light should last just as long and be just as bright as its $1k+ rivals.

5. Sep 15, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    HtownBB

HtownBB Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    6" Pro-Comp Lift XD Wheels 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T
    Just be aware. I went on the cheep via one of the group buys on here. First rain I had afterwards I got moisture behind the lens. It works great but the moisture drives me nuts.

6. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    Warranty? Pming you right now

7. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    Edgeplay

Edgeplay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM
    -Leather Seats -Weathertechs -LED map and dome -6K HID head lights, -Glove and Center Consol organizer -30" LED bar in lower valence
    I have the same problem. I want to take it out and lit it sit in my basement but don't want to take everything apart.

I plan on getting a good one from somewhere and going to try to stay away from the Group buys for this stuff.

8. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    Did you buy it from the same guy?

9. Sep 16, 2014 at 4:44 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Cree is the most widely used because they are very good leds, reliable and more cost effective. From what I've gathered on the three that I know of off hand, is that epistar is probly the lowest on quality, which you will find in a lot of the really dirt cheap bars with really crappy reflector designs. Cree is next up. Really popular and used in a lot of different bars ranging from the lower end bars to knock off versions of name brand bars to being used in name brand bars at the top. Luminous I haven't heard much about. But from what I've learned they are the leading manufacturer of big chip leds. And are probably the best out there. But the only company I know of that uses them is vision x. IMO vision x is the top of the tier. They have amazing circuitry technologies that are put into their lights and use the best looking and most efficient reflector designs, 1st only to rigid. I have a vision x knock off bar that is EXAXTLY the same except the circuitry and leds used. It uses Cree leds and a simpler circuit board without all the fancy tech. The reflectors are the same vision x uses. I've seen pics of other another guy that had the same bar but purchased from vision x and it is definitely a brighter output than mine. But not a HUGE significance that I'd pay $1000 more than I did for the knock off. And no moisture or issues. Only thing is the paint is pretty thin and scratches easily. But who cares. Can be recoated for less than a Benjamin.

Now, all these cheaper bars that are produced in China are great and all. But some are not. You really don't know what yer gonna get. You may get a good quality product. You may not. This is the risk you are taking when not getting anything name brand. And that goes for anything in the world. I honestly do believe you get what you pay for. I took a risk in buying a knock off but I got lucky and haven't had any issues. Even took one all apart without applying any addtl silicone and it still has no leaks.
    But, as far as deciding what to look for, pay close attention to the details you can see in the pics before purchasing one. If it looks cheap, it's probably designed cheaply. I tend to look at the reflector design. And make sure they list what type of leds they use. And for the one the OP listed, it says Cree so it's probably gonna be ok. I also look at the design of the housing. But hard to tell how it's gonna be assembled. You could also browse eBay and take a look at all the different styles they sell there from China. Then when you're shopping at us retailers of somewhat unknown reputation, you can tell immediately that they are probly purchasing them in bulk from China and just making a profit. These topics of quality are the same as everything else in the world. China crap is often garbage. But there are some good products and reputable manufacturers out there. Just don't know what your getting is all. But you can at least make an educated guess based on popularity and common sense if something appears to be higher quality than others... Only other thing I could suggest is to make sure you have some kinda of warranty. I think mine came with a 3 year warranty. Anything around that range would be good. 1 year or less I stay away from. That way you can always return it. Might be fun claiming that with China resailers, but ah well, they'll understand me when ibstart ranting and raving with emails if I ever have any issues with them translating. Heh.
    Anyways.. just thought I'd finally share my thoughts on that. Been wanting to throw that out there for some time now. Don't take it the wrong way either, heh, just rambling on. Not trying to dissuade anyone or hate. Just something to think about for you guys debating the options of more cost effective bars that aren't REDICULOUSLY over priced and still get a great product.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Sep 16, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    Edpsx

Edpsx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    13' Double Cab Limited MGM
    K&N Intake, Stainless Tube Steps, Pioneer 8500BHS, Coming Soon:, Morimoto H1 Mini, Viper 5704
    There are LOTS of LED manufacturers. Cree, Epistar, Nichia etc. They all have REALLY good LEDs and really crappy LEDs. Its all in the batch and how far from the crystal they are harvested. They seperate them by lots and grading scales, but I'll tell you right now that nobody gets the top of the batch LEDs except medical and military applications.

So saying Epistar makes crappy LEDs vs Cree could be like comparing their lowest lot LEDs to Crees middle of the line LEDs. Its all a crapshoot as to which LEDs you are really getting unless you can get a written statement from the manufacturer to which LEDs you are actually receiving. That said, no LEDs made in the last 5 years are "bad" LEDs unless they batch you get had issues when they were made. LED manufacturing has come a long long way.

Id be more interested in the optics and drivers than the LEDs themselves so long as they are 10w. I like the extra wattage and better optics for that longer throw distance like traditional halogens or HIDs can get.

11. Sep 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    ^^This is true too. I wasn't trying to say they are bad. I'm sure they're all great leds. But there are differences and those subtle little differences are what separates them from the rest. Basically which is better designed and more efficient. I was just simply trying to state that some manufacturers that are better than others. And Cree certainly is not the only one.
    And I agree. A lot of the reflectors/optics just look plain funky and not very effective at all. That's why I'm so happy with the ones I got. And speaking of exactly what you said about better optics and 10 watts, I have exactly these. Four Vision X Evo Prime replicas. 42"/20"/ (2) 8". 10 watt Cree led's with deep reflector bowls. These puppies really throw.:D
    Like I said the vision x brand for these are crazy $$$. The 42" was $1200, plus shipping I'm sure... The knock off China Cree version for 42" is $350. I'm really happy with my "slightly less effective" design:p

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  12. Sep 16, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    mikevee

mikevee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 prerunner trd offroad

Dude you're awesome! haha:D:D

As he stated just now, i'll get you a 30" cree (16400 lm), and a harness for 211 out the door. Our track record has been pretty darn great on here.

Products Discussed in

To Top