1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How fun would you deem the Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ice, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Sep 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    We actually own a WRX and a Jeep Wrangler along with the '11 AC. It is a PITA to keep the wheels balanced and with the six speed manual is terrible in traffic, but does just fine on the back and dirt roads...

Not the most fun vehicle to drive, but very practical.

Howard

2. Sep 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    DSC_0862_a6ee2bea769d3df8acd01125a0b4bd630a687cc7.jpg

Taken me everywhere I have wanted to go and more

3. Sep 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    Fun driving mine, always driven a truck, it's not hard to work on and modify, gives me sumthin to weld on and play with, it kinda sucks as an on road vehicle nowadays, off road it's A LOT of fun

4. Sep 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    LCBogey

LCBogey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    I just got my Tacoma about a month ago and have really enjoyed it. In the past I have owned a WRX & most recently a X-Terra Pro-4x. Obviously the most comparable is the X-terra, but so far like the Tacoma better.

It's not an exotic car by any means, but I love it!

5. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    for a semi-urban redneck, I have always said the taco is the best 4-wheeled thing you could buy to have fun in. especially with manual trans.

with swaybar on it is a blast on the street, just enough power to over-steer. take the bar off for a more challenging ride!

my favorite thing is when im loaded with camping gear, pass all the power-strokes, cummins, and dirty-maxs' towing their razors and whathaveyou, and then watching as they go by my camp with sad faces a couple hours later cause I beat them to it, had the windows up and a/c on to boot!

its a great machine to have if you can only have one.

and to be completely honest, most guys that tow their rigs do far more difficult trails than I can, or will, im just saying that the road-treck for me was a lot more fun than it was for them, and I have gotten this near-stock truck in some places that made them question their spending

6. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock

Mmmhmm. I don't know about that man. My truck is pretty quick for a naturally aspirated Tacoma, being much lighter than stock and well tuned. My wife's duramax will blow my fucking doors off. I know because I've tried to outrun her. I can barely keep ahead in tight corners, but as soon as there is a straight stretch I'm done. What really pisses me off is her truck gets much better mileage than mine, despite weighing a metric shit ton more. Offroad is a different story, but onroad those diesels are very difficult to compete with.

7. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    agreed, i remember my first time driving a duramax, and both my bro's cummins will kill my truck, and even my old power-stroke keeps pace despite an over-built bed filled with heavy tools and a 1500lbs welder on it, buuutttt

they are stuck at 55mph with a trailer, and i get to go 70! not meaning that my truck will smoke a diesel, but that i get to have more fun and make better time on a trip to go camping. :)

8. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    In California they only get to go 55mph.. How ever every other state (maybe a few I don't know of) they get to go as fast as any car. Just semi's have to go 10mph slower on interstates

9. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    My buddy has a bone stock first gen cummins that is about even with the taco until 75 or so, then I squeek by because he runs out of gears. It's a 1991 with a quarter million miles on it. Yeah, in the dirt we win hands down, but mostly because we are lighter. Any good liter UTV will smoke a taco offroad...because it's lighter...just something to think about.

10. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    I love driving mine. I just drove back to Calgary, AB from Yellowstone today and I smiled all 10hrs I was behind the wheel.

11. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    ok, ok, ok, so, in the case of excess funding, in a different state, having a big-truck, and a designated off-road-only could lead to good times. fair enough.

for me, i'll leave this thing

[​IMG]

at home, throw some gear into the taco, hold the speed-limit at top-gear up grade, and still wheel it just fine to get to where i want to. . . .

is the taco fun. . . yes

and, i see it more worthy to just lt or strait-axle the taco rather than buy a toy, buy a trailer, buy another big-truck, and deal with keeping the three together, just to go out and have a good weekend.

maybe im the crazy one, cause im stuck in:

the car does wife things

the ugly ford does maybe someday i could be my own boss things

the company (not mine) gmc does the paying kind of work things (see what i did there)

and my taco does FUN things. whether a trip to the pharmacy, or a trip to the mountains, i would rather drive NOTHING ELSE! unless you want to get into maybe i could have a Ferrari fxx for the pharmacy trips

12. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I love my truck for it's resale value, practical use, good power (for me), the way it looks, I can look over most vehicles, and last it hasn't left me stranded yet :thumbsup:

13. Sep 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    Ice

Ice [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner Trd Sport
    Anyone else wanna provide their input on the entertainment value of the Tacom?

14. Sep 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    sanchez

sanchez Off Road Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    sr5 Trd Off Road
    Coverking cr noeprene seat covers, Compustar remote starter, Husky X-act fit floor liners, ARE cap, bed mat, 17"DAI Storm wheels, Goodyear Dura Trac tires, 20%tint
    I'll pipe in, after having 3 Tundra's the past 6.5 years this Tacoma is wicked off road and maybe because it's new but I seem to be putting on the K's. Now don't get me wrong if the driver hadn't ran the light I'd be driving a Tundra but I'm pretty frikin happy I finally have my Taco!

... and the new 3rd gen is coming out next year..the wife works for Toyota Canada and that is all their talking about. I hope she's right and there isn't any delays.

15. Sep 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    CodeBlue

CodeBlue Member

Member:
    What are the better options? Isn't the Frontier basically the only other mid-size truck right now? At least until the Colorado comes out? And then you'd be taking a chance on a GMC...

16. Sep 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    TacoBazinga

TacoBazinga Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Belchertown, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Manual, Magnetic Grey
    TRD Exhaust, Short Throw Shifter, Bead Lock Wheels, Undercover LUX cover, TWM Performace Desert Eagle shift knob
    FTW

17. Sep 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    I love driving mine. It is so much more powerful and comfortable than my old 2wd 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. It handles on-and-off-road like a dream and it's built like a brick shit-house compared to that shaky, noisy, gutless old thing.

I was going to keep my crappy old Ranger for daily use and get a 3/4-ton diesel pickup for fun, but after test-driving a bunch of them I began to really dislike them. The diesel pickups have awesome power but they suck balls off-road, everything about them is more expensive than a gas pickup, the handling is ponderous and I have never needed to tow anything in my entire life. My friends and co-workers who have diesel pickups deal with $350.00 oil and filter changes, multi-thousand dollar repair bills, and truck payments that rival or exceed my house payment. I have never once regretted getting my Tacoma instead of a diesel pickup.

Once I drove a 6 speed/4.0L Tacoma, I instantly felt a zen-like wave of complete joy and inner harmony wash over me and I knew it was the truck for me. No vehicle is perfect but there is nothing else out there with the Tacoma's combination of reliability, daily usefulness and off-road awesomeness.

18. Sep 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    joshipps

joshipps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4
    Sick dent
    I absolutely love driving my Tacoma, it's almost like there's an aura of reliability and awesomeness that just surrounds it that i've never felt with any other vehicle.

Offroad..its lots of fun to drive. Onroad...its not the greatest thing since sliced bread but it works. I would deem my WRX a "fun" vehicle to drive. My Tacoma is a "good" vehicle to drive.

19. Sep 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I love my Tacoma and I love driving it. I put something like 1,500 miles on it in August when I was at home on leave from Korea because I wanted to drive it everywhere.

I do miss my WRX because that car was a blast to own, but I prefer my Tacoma. It's a jack of all trades and gets the job it's built to do done very well. That said, when I pay her off in a year or two I'll be buying an STi and use the Taco as a DD and the STi for once and a while fun. :D

20. Sep 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Yeah...what he said.

Products Discussed in

To Top