1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100's top nut gap issue

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mreding21, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    mreding21

mreding21 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Toytec 2.5'' lift, Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Installed 5100's a few weeks ago with everything looking solid and riding great. Just went out 4wheelin this past weekend and noticed afterwards that I have a gap between my washer/bushing and the top strut rod nut that I can hear all the sudden now when hitting any bumps. (Can hear the vibration of the washer and strut mount. Everything seems tight and I had not heard the noise earlier. Also, the dust boot has dropped, so unsure if they are related at all..... See the pics below. First set is the drivers side with a gap, 2nd is the passenger wide that is correct. Please advise what may be going on as it seems I have the right install and bushing setup Really just unsure as top nut is in same position with same bushing setup as the correct one.....was thinking possibly just adding additional bushing to get it tight. Everything seems to function properly just loose feeling right now with washer rattle

IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg

2. Sep 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    mreding21

mreding21 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Toytec 2.5'' lift, Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    FIXED IT - For everyone's future reference, the issue was a missing washer above the dust boot (there is a small spacer in the boot that holds the boot into place), washer goes on top of that before the inside bushing of the top strut mount. Turns out 4wheelin over the weekend pushed the boot spacer through the bushing because of the lack of washer to facilitate a proper hold. Had to disassemble and reassemble. Turns out the passenger side did not have it installed either but hadn't pushed through yet in order to let the strut rod push through more and have the gap. I went ahead and fixed that one as well instead of waiting and having to do it later. Anyways........ my advice to all, check your assembly twice before having to do the coils over again. Easy fix but time consuming with having to basically reinstall new struts and coils again oveer 1 tiny piece..... Live and Learn.... If you are in or around Denver, I highly recommend going to A&M MOTORSPORTS on FEDERAL for any service, work, or anything you could ever need. Truly great people who are very knowledgeable, trustworthy, and fair. Thanks Rich, Butch, and Matt for all help and teaching me the ropes while doing so. www.gotoanm.com/

lo2hi and diabetiktaco like this.
  3. Apr 3, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    matt 157

matt 157 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    California
    Vehicle:
    2003 Black Xtra Cab 4WD SR5 TRD
    Pioneer DEH 8400 head unit/deck, Crunch 1100 watt amp, 12" Kenwood subwoofer, Kicker mids & tweeters, AllPro front tube bumper, Smittybuilt tow hooks, (welded pipe for muffle) straight-pipe, 4 orange "Raptor" lights in grill, Duratrac tires, American Eagle rims, ProComp 2" front leveling kit, Plasi-Dipped black on chrome trim, PIAA fog lights w/ in-cab switch, Unidin CB/Firestik II/8 ohm PA speaker, TRD leather 5-speed shifter knob
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but what are you supposed to torque that nut to?? Snug? Really tight? Had my 5100s for a while but replaced control arm bushings and now I'm putting it all back wondering what I did the first time

4. Apr 4, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    2nd screen name

2nd screen name Tacodelaplaya

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    LV/SD
    Vehicle:
    06 AC Sport Prerunner
    Front: Maxtrac, DK heim UCA, 6112 Rear: AP expos, Fox 2.5 RR DSC Fn fivestar with General reds
    Snug. Just until the bushing starts to squish

5. May 27, 2020 at 10:30 PM
    bayareatrdtaco

bayareatrdtaco New Member

Member:
    Im running into the same gap problem right now. Guess Ill have to wait until the morning to take it apart again :(

Products Discussed in

To Top