1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Doing the maintenance yourself

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shwaa, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Aug 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    I've got one of these. 18k lbs might be overkill for this truck
    2010-10-02_09-30-00_895_ead7d0075ea4ee8a896f064206c1c12391a99957.jpg

2. Aug 31, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    Absolutely NO FUCKING WAY IN HELL WOULD I WALK UNDER THAT SHIT!

3. Sep 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    And his last words: "and now to torque the oil pan plu....uuhhh"

Oh well, no good for tire rotations anyway..

4. Sep 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Shoot I live in a condo in the city, no storage for anything. I do all my work on my truck in my parking lot. Heck I have even change my oil & filter, rear and front dif, Trans case oil, air filter, all spark plugs, greased the zerks, installed my skids, relocated breathers in a walmart parking lot. you just have to get out there and do it. Living in an apartment/condo has never really hinder me at all for working on my truck and gaining more knowlege so I know how things work on the Tacoma for future repairs.

5. Sep 2, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    I have plenty of space and decent tools, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense. I have a lifetime alignment at Firestone, so I usually take it to them, pay $20 and get my oil and alignment done. Honestly I can't change my own oil for less than that.

Brakes are something I will always do- Firestone quoted me $275 to do the front discs on my Scion- I did them myself in 30 min. for $40.

6. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    TheTacoAdventurer

TheTacoAdventurer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD OR
    Forever modding!
    I agree here. Since getting my Tacoma, I have lived in a house and an appartment. It was certainly nice having a garage at the house, but I have no intentions of stopping working on my truck now that it resides in a parking lot. Just have to watch out for the cars parked next to me. Although I don't think I would go to a Walmart to work on it :cool:

7. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    HAHA I decided to go to Walmart since it is right over the fence from my condo after getting into it with the Prop manager when I was Flushing the Tranny fluid out of my wifes car and changing the oil. He said that in the bylaws you can't work on a vehicle on site. It wasn't until later that night I read through all the by laws and it says in capitail letters. "No MAJOR car repairs" I have this high lighted and ready for the next time I work on my truck to pull out and show him. A MAJOR car repair is a overhaul, bodywork, engine swap etc. Not me changing the oil :) so I can't wait to shove that in his face......anyway just venting I guess LMAO
    I love working on my truck. It is a peaceful stress release (unless something goes wrong)

8. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Have you looked around for any local "DIY" garages? There are several in California where you rent a stall to work on your own vehicle. It's not as cheap of course as letting a shop do it, but some people really enjoy the pride in working on their own vehicle.

PLEASE. I beg you not to get those types of lifts. They are inherently dangerous, unless they have been redesigned to have the primary section bolted to the floor! Those lifts are VERY prone to tip over when a vehicle is lifted. I have seen several with a car on it's side when they tipped over sideways.

9. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    braik

braik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4.0L 4x4 BASE
    2" Ironman 4x4 (B) Front Spacer Level LR UCAs Level 8: Tracker Wheels 255/75 Cooper ATPs Welded Rock Sliders Weathertech floormats Wet Okole seat covers JVC Head Unit Diff Breather Mod Zip Tie Mod Needle Bearing Mod HID Retrofit (Acura TL-R)
    Did some work in the Home Depot parking lot after hours. The police weren't pleased about it, but they didn't bother me more than once or twice. I do what I can in the parking lot, what I can't at my in-laws about 200mi away, and what I don't have the ability to do I bring it into the shop for. Been taking advantage of the free dealer oil changes lately, double checking their work of course ;)

Do what you can, where you can. It doesn't make you any less of a man to know your own limits and let the professionals do their job.

10. Sep 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4

Best thing about Walmart is they are open 24hrs here. Have never said anything to me. Same reason you see so many RVs "camping" in the lot on trips.

11. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Live in a 17 unit townhouse community and am the only one who does any kind of truck maintenance, usually just oil changes, plugs, etc. No static from neighbors. Main reason, especially on oil changes, is I KNOW it's done right - fully warmed up, let it drain as long as it takes.

12. Sep 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    That's why I do mine also, too many horror stories of dealerships screwing up a simple oil change.

13. Sep 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    ^^^ and I like that good stuff oil....no BS oil. I want what I want not what you want to put in there. Takes like 10 mins to do it anyway.

14. Sep 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

Sadly I have to agree on this.

Products Discussed in

To Top