1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help putting Back up Camera on 2012 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by edteach, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    edteach

edteach [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I almost backed into a car that was backing out of a parking lot. With my Topper its hard to see well. I want to put on a BUC . My Tacoma is a 12 model pre wired. From all I read this is wired for a rear view mirror back up monitor? What model is best to use and how much do they run? Do any of you here have sources for purchase? Thanks a million.

2. Sep 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    skeighter

skeighter Well-Known Member

Member:
    My cousin recently installed a lock like this one. Not sure if he purchased from this site, but the price was about the same and it was similar. I watched him do most of the job, couldn't have taken him more than an hour. Video is displayed on radio screen in dash. Toyota quoted him almost $700 for just the camera. No harness or labor included. And this one includes a tailgate lock as well.

http://tailgatecamera.com/products/...a-with-locking-handle-and-integration-harness

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Back in 2012 I installed a back up camera and review mirror on my daughters 2012 Tacoma. Like yours, hers was already pre-wired. All I needed was a camera that fit the handle and a mirror with the capability to show it.

After careful inspection, making sure the wires and connectors were where they should be, I searched and found a new OEM Toyota back up camera for a 2012 Tacoma, off of Ebay that fit exactly in the tailgate handle. I got lucky because the seller said that he purchased the wrong camera for his wifes Toyota Camry and just had it there and wanted to sell it. Purchased it for $25 bucks. As for the rear view mirror, well I wanted an exact OEM mirror as those used on 2012 Tacomas so purchased an OEM mirror taken off a 2012 Tacoma that the seller was selling since he had replaced the mirror with another brand. Mirror was in excellent condition! Purchased it for a little over $100 bucks.

I saved a lot of $$$ by installing the rear view mirror and camera myself. Really nothing to it, just about anyone can do it just make sure you know what you are doing. Total amount spent, around $165 bucks. Not bad.

Installed everything and my daughter has not had any problems since.

Did the same with fog lights for her 2012 as well as replaced the intermitted wiper blade switch.

Here is a picture of the rear view mirror that I installed. Couldn't find a picture of the rear OEM camera that I installed.

mirror11.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top