1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alarm question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Engine33, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Sep 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    Engine33

Engine33 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky
    I have another question that I'm having a difficult time finding an answer for.

If I buy a Viper alarm system with remote start, what will that do to the "engine immobilizer system" already installed?

-b

2. Sep 7, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Not sure if this helps but here is what I experienced with my Camry just last week when having an remote installed.

Now a days the remote starters are a bit different than the one I had years back. There are 2 accessories available, one permanently houses the valet key in a sealed box under the dash, the other reads and stores the valet key code while not leaving the key in it. This box is connected to the remote starter and it reads the code of the valet key when the remote start is enabled. The way that it was described to me is that when called to start, it pulls the code, any other time is as if the valet key is not in the car.

Another thing that I was told was once installed, you must lock and unlock using either the OEM of aftermarket remote, not lock with one and unlock with the other. I was told that if you lock it using the OEM fob and then unlock it using the remote starter fob, you will set off the OEM alarm. That all being said, unlocking using a remote starter fob and the OEM system not recognizing it, may affect your already installed immobilizer if it depends on the OEM system and fob. Keep in mind that you are accomplishing the same functions as the OEM system, yet you are not accessing the features through the OEM system, kind of going around it. The system that I had installed in my wife's car was an Avital, made by Viper.

I suggest that you post a question on www.the12volt.com for confirmation.

3. Sep 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Sounds like a pain in the ass.

4. Sep 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Traffic
    Vehicle:
    CustomTacos Mafia!
    Nachos, Lemon Heads, My Truck Is Stock!
    Good question. I am going through the same dilemma. I plan on having the Viper Smart Start two way alarm installed. But I do not want the remote start. I just want the capability of having my phone notify me when my alarm goes off. I don't want the factory immobilizer bypassed during the installation. I also am not sure about the starter kill feature. Will this also bypass the immobilizer?

5. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    I think these questions are best suited for Viper as I have asked the same ones and have been told that these issues would not be an issue.....

But I would talk with the Viper installer to verify each concern you have with different operations of stock kill features....

My Viper 5806V will be installed in 3 weeks......

I was told that the individual programming features set by the installer should cure these issues....

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  6. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    jakub4

jakub4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jakub
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB Sport in fast blue
    ADS shocks, Dakars, Lots of custom electrics, too much money spent
    I installed a viper 5901 r/s & alarm in my 2011 last winter, so I have a little bit of experience with these. The OEM immobilizer is only bypassed when installing the remote starter portion of the viper systems.

For alarm only, you don't need a bypass at all. The starter kill portion of the viper systems is optional, but it provides an additional layer of security in case someone tries to start your vehicle while the system is armed. It essentially involves cutting one of the ignition wires at the steering column, and wiring it through the alarm brain box so that the alarm controls when you can start the truck.

Although you're only interested in the alarm portion, I would consider getting the r/s & alarm combo, since it's usually not a lot more money, but once you find a need for it it's a lot nicer to have, and upgrading to it later on basically involves scrapping the old alarm system and buying a new one. There really isn't an easy way to add remote starting ability to an alarm only unit.

Products Discussed in

To Top