1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM tranny fluid cooler or not

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by arnold, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Sep 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    arnold

arnold [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 sr5
    Have a 2001 taco, 4x4,doublecab w 5VZ-FE engine and auto trans.
    I've read many threads suggesting the 1st gen. do not have OEM tran. fluid coolers.
    I have 2 lines from my tranny to the bottom of my radiator.
    Planning on buying a travel trailer, so will need to cool the tranny fluid.
    Is this an OEM cooling system for my tran fluid or will I need to install a cooling system?
    Thanks

MattMan01 likes this.
  2. Sep 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    muddog67

muddog67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im curious as well what the other guys say

3. Sep 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    TRANSMISSION COOLERS
    Do not wait for the light on the dash to illuminate at 302 degrees ....you are too late by then
    If you do not have a transmission cooler on your truck and you plan to tow or haul heavy loads or you are in constant stop and go traffic every day or use 4X4 low a lot , consider purchasing a cooler . The cooler thats built into your rad is designed to cool the transmission with the weight of just the truck by itself .When you are in 4x4 low , your torque converter is usually in the stall stage and creates a tonne of additional heat .
    In 4x4 low when crawling , an additional cooler with a large electrical fan is best because you are not generating enough air flow through the cooling system .
    If you live in colder climates ,consider mounting the cooler after the internal radiator cooler as this will allow the engine coolant to warm the transmission quicker during those cold winter months .
    If you are skeptical that antifreeze is going to contaminate your transmission ,consider bypassing the interal rad cooler but go with a cooler that uses low line drop technology as suggested below.
    160 - 200 are considered normal temps providing your engine radiator is functioning properly . If your engine overheats , your transmission will also overheat when using the factory internal rad cooler .
    Normal fluid temperature in transmission to be 175 deg. F.

Rate of oxidation to double for each temperature increase of 20 deg F above normal (175 deg F). As oxidation rate doubles, useful life of fluid is cut in half.

At 175 deg F life is 100,000 miles
    At 195 deg F (20 deg above 175) life is 50k miles
    At 215 life is 25k miles
    At 235 life is 12k
    At 255 life is 6,250
    At 275 life is 3,000
    At 295 life is 1500
    At 315 life is 750

At temperatures much above 300 deg F the metals in the transmission will tend to warp, twist etc. high temperatures causes the formation of varnish deposits which impair or pre vent transmission operation.

At a fluid temperature of 415 deg F fluid life is 30 minutes!

Source: Empire Lubricants Inc.

Consider a scan guage to monitor your fluid temp http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Comp.../dp/B000AAMY86
    There are also mechanical transmission temp guages that work well , but for about the same price and far less work , the scan guage will give a vast amount of functions in comparison to a mechanical guage .The Sanguage is a better option considering the mechanical guage would have to be plumbed into either the transmission pan or the incoming cooler line . With the mechanical guage , you are creating another possibility for transmission fluid to leak .
    At this point in time , the Ultra guage does not offer transmission temps

This is how Low Pressure Drop technology works::
    When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is viscous. The unique Tru-Cool design allows the colder, thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler. As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes hotter and thinner, It's then directed through the core where it is cooled. Tru-Cool's highly efficient cooling technology combines improved protection against lube failure with optimal heat transfer.
    http://www.amazon.com/Long-Tru-Cool-.../dp/B005XZXB1M
    Long Tru-Cool Oil Coolers offer advanced cooling protection for many towing applications. The advanced technology out performs TUBE & FIN Designs, Delivers up to 15 times less flow restrictions, 30% more cooling delivers maximum heat transfer, Self-Regulating for maximum lube flow protection through start-up, varied temperatures and driving conditions, heavy loads and towing.

And here is a guy who recently installed a cooler and bypassed his rad cooler http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...agram-pic.html

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  4. Sep 9, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    arnold

arnold [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 sr5
    Thanks for the replies.
    Appreciate it.

5. Sep 10, 2014 at 4:21 AM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    I bypassed mine with a tru cool 4454. City driving my temps are no higher than 180 with no load.

6. Sep 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    2scars

2scars Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD 4x4 Doublecab
    All-pro, T-G, Budbuilt, Warn, Tepui, Homefab rear bumper
    I have a Hayden cooler after the factory in new radiator. My temps never get over 150-160 F in the mild summer. Is that TOO cool, winter is coming.

7. Sep 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    wncjim

wncjim Active Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    I would suggest getting a Trans cooler. When I bought my truck it already had a Trans cooler and an electric brake controller, I guess the previous owner pulled some type of trailer with brakes. My previous truck did not have an external Trans cooler but did over heat while pulling a small travel trailer in the NC & Virginia mts. It was a ram 1500 with a V8.

Products Discussed in

To Top