1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon / HID

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by NoSilverBullet, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Sep 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    NoSilverBullet

NoSilverBullet [OP] N60 member

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Old Man Emu suspension: 884x coils, Dakar leaf pack, Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Cruisin Offroad bolt-on sliders. Relentless Fabrication aluminum front and mid skid plates + steel transfer case skid. SnugTop Hi-Liner "Sportsman" canopy. Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon (flood beam).
    A few weeks ago I installed a set of Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon on my Tacoma. They are 35 watts HIDs. Both are the "flood" beam pattern.

Basically, the light spreads super wide and down the road over 300 meters (1000 ft). This is perfect as auxiliary driving lights around where I live.

[​IMG]
    I haven't tried them much so far because we're just starting to get early sunsets around here. From my initial tests, the actual light output is exactly as advertised. No hot spots either, just a super even, super wide light beam with good throw.

One thing I was worried about going with HIDs was the warm up time. My initial impression is that that's really not an issue at all in real life. From cold, they take about 3 to 5 seconds to come to full power. Then when dimming for oncoming traffic, they come right back on instantly.

I've previously had the "regular" Hella Rallye 4000 halogens in a "euro/driving" beam on my previous truck. They used 100w bulbs. They were OK, but I always wanted a bit more spread. Also, my previous truck (F-150) had a pretty heavy duty alternator and power consumption was never an issue. With my little 4 cylinder Taco, I wanted to be a bit more conservative. Those HIDs are WAY brighter than the halogen Rallye 4000.

The installed lights are shown bellow (with the white plastic rock guard and with the clear one, ready for action).

I can report later on how the lights perform in the long run if there is any interest.

8142014195738.jpg
    8142014195848.jpg
    IMG_20140914_185745.jpg

2. Sep 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    NoSilverBullet

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Old Man Emu suspension: 884x coils, Dakar leaf pack, Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Cruisin Offroad bolt-on sliders. Relentless Fabrication aluminum front and mid skid plates + steel transfer case skid. SnugTop Hi-Liner "Sportsman" canopy. Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon (flood beam).
    Also, those lights are rather bulky because of the integrated ballast, so make sure you have enough room to mount them. As explained in another thread, I had to get an extension welded on my light bar to make them fit.

IMG_20140914_185820.jpg
    IMG_20140914_190006.jpg

3. Sep 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    yea they are some nice lights. but most around here wont spend that kinda money lol.

4. Sep 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    NoSilverBullet

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    I'm not saying everyone should buy them. It all depends why you put auxiliary lights on your truck...

Up here, we get up to 18 hours of night time during the darkest part of winter. We have tons of large sized wildlife on the highways too: caribou herds, elks, moose, bisons, etc. A good set of lights is cheap insurance if you compare that with hitting a 2200+ pounds bison.

Also, have you looked at the price of the light bars some TW members put on their truck? I guess it all comes down to priorities and intended usage.

Products Discussed in

To Top