1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are "same manufacturer" parts as good as true, OEM parts?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by EdFlecko, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sep 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    I contacted YotaShop to inquire about a rebuilt motor and I asked them if they could compare their motor to a brand new, OEM motor that I might have a Toyota dealer install, and they said: "We offer an engine with components made from the same manufacturer that Toyota uses."

I'm not sure how warm and fuzzy that makes me feel. I don't know about auto parts, but if we were talking dog food, there are plenty of manufacturers that produce absolute shit quality food that will give your dog cancer as well as better quality foods...all under the same roof. So when YotaShop says their components are "made from the same manufacturer that Toyota uses", does that mean much???

Opinion???

:D

Ed

2. Sep 16, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I don't know too much about the engines but i know (this may be obvious) that toyota doesn't make 100% of their parts. Example Matsuba ujoints are the same as OEM toyota as they are one of the suppliers.

Not to probe, but why not get a used engine out of a running truck instead of a "new" one?

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    One reason to get a rebuilt motor is that you know the condition of the engine when it goes into your vehicle. New gaskets, heads are pressure checked and machined if needed, new water pump, timing belt, etc if you specify...

I have found out that many places want at least $2500 just to replace a head gasket vs $1600 for a fully rebuilt engine... That's a pretty great reason to go rebuilt instead of used in an unknown condition other than "it runs".

4. Sep 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    You're not prying - you're question is perfectly legit.

I don't like the idea of not knowing how the motor has been cared for. For ME, I'm much more willing to pay more money to know, with 100% certainty, that the motor has been taken care of from Day 1.

I've made a couple of calls, and from what I'm hearing, most wrecking yards charge about $1,500 for a used motor, which I think is laughable for a motor that you know nothing about and that someone may have beat the shit out of. I'd pay $500 for a used motor...but certainly not $1,500.

Ed

5. Sep 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    68dave

68dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Baltimore/WV mountains
    Vehicle:
    $500.00 project 04 TRD 4x4 Lifted 4runner Stock Tacoma TRD Lifted 94 FZJ80 Stock 95 FZJ80
    Toytec Boss kit & OME leafs, 231mm tundra brakes SCS wheels...
    I was in the same situation as you, rebuild mine, buy one already rebuilt or buy used. I bought a 04 taco TRD with a blown motor, PO neglected a leaking oil filter. I took advice from a member here and searched Ebay for a used engine. I found a used 3.4L from a totaled 03 prerunner with only 69k miles. It came complete with the wiring harness for $1200 and $200 shipping from Az to me in Md. and i couldn't be happier. Salvage yard emailed me many pics and gave me the donors vin# so i could run a carfax to verify the last recorded mileage. I replaced the Tbelt and related items, hoses, tune up parts ect... while it was on my motor stand. It doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil. I've read alot of good things about Yotashop. If i would have went that route that's who i was gonna purchase my rebuilt engine from.

015.jpg
    018.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Sep 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Ed, the motor from Toyota I'm assuming is a new crate motor. That being said, you will get an engine with "new" oem parts and not something that's used or reconditioned.

Engine rebuilders sell rebuilt (reconditioned) engines. They take a used engine, tear it down and mic it out, replacing the parts that fall out of spec with new oem or aftermarket parts and re-use the parts that do fall within the factory tolerances.

I don't know what the price difference between the two are, but i'm one for peace of mind and I don't mind paying extra for that peace.

I'm sure that the rebuilder you contacted is a competent mechanic and stands behind his product. I've seen their company name on this forum used more than once and it has all been positive. I'm sure that you've inquired as to a warranty, that helps to put some at ease if its a good warranty.

These decisions aren't easy as it involves alot of $$$, but a little of homework goes along ways. Looking at your avatar, you have some investigative skills, you'll come to the right decision.:oldglory:

7. Sep 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    From those prices though I would bet that the $2500 was for parts and labor, and the rebuilt engine for $1600 was for parts only.

I think you should look around. On average $1000 for a junkyard engine is about normal. And that is for one that has over 100k miles usually. I deal with used engines all the time, and when it comes to Toyota and Nissan engines, even used they do not come cheap.

This is where you look at if an engine has been REBUILT, or RECONDITIONED. A rebuilt engine is not the same as a reconditioned engine, though the words are incorrectly used interchangeably. A reconditioned engine has the same process of teardown, and measuring. However a reconditioned engine only reuses the block, crankshaft (after mic work and polishing/grinding) and heads, after machine work is done. (including valves) A reconditioned engine has new pistons, rods, bearings, etc.

8. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    I did an engine swap on a 2.7 last year and did the online route of finding an engine as there were none local. Cheapest salvage engine IIRC was about $1400 up to 6k, which is insane. Rebuilts on ebay started around 1200, over 2k through local parts shops.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top