1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passenger Window Shimmy/Shutter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shore990, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Sep 19, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    shore990

shore990 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    I've taken my truck to the dealer twice to address this issue as it's still under warranty (2014 DCSB OR). My front passenger window shimmys or shutters as you roll it up. It's not major, but the window should go up smooth like all the other windows. My concern is that the window motor will have accelerated wear and tear or possibly has a bad motor itself.

The first time I brought it in, the dealer stated that it was due to the fact that my front windows were tinted. Now, keep in mind that they were tinted as part of a package the dealer threw in when I bought my truck. And, the driver side is also tinted without issues. At first they wanted to charge me for the labor of taking the door panel off, which they gave up when I contested. They said there was a small amount of adhesive from the tinter still on the window. They cleaned the window and told me to try it for a few days to see if that would help.

It sort of helped, but I still have the shimmy when I roll the window up. I took it in a second time and they said to wait a few months to see if anything "loosens up". They said the tinted windows tend to have tight fit and they acted like this was normal and that it would go away.

Has anyone else had any of their windows shutter when they rolled them up? How did you fix it? I don't feel like I should have to fix the issue since its under warranty, but they clearly don't care or don't know how to fix it. Its not a huge problem and the window is still totally funcitonal, but if its something fixable I'll just take care of it.

2. Sep 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Sounds like lies they are giving you. I'd take it to another dealer and have them fix it.

3. Sep 19, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    shore990

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Yeah, I've thought about it. There are a few dealers in the area. It's just such a hassel to drive all over town to get them to do anything about it.

I was hoping someone would come along and tell me that they've seen the issue and it's an easy weather stripping trim or something that I could just fix.

I'll probably just wait until my next service and see if it gets better. If the motor does actually go out, I would think they can't deny the replacement under warranty.

4. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    If you hear some grinding type noise also, then it's probably the motor.
    If no unusual noise, then not sure?

My passenger side failed a couple years ago with virtually NO use,
    so it can happen.

I must say the whole window lift motor design isn't the most robust.

Good luck with it.

5. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    shore990

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    No grinding noise. It doesn't make any odd sounds besides the shimmy of the glass moving up. I may take the door panel off and check it out further.

6. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    did the aftermarket tint they put on void the warranty, or did the tint come with a warranty ? remove the tint, that is the problem.

7. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
  8. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    shore990

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    The tint was installed through the Toyota dealer. I'm sure they take it a tint shop, but they included it in a package with the clear bra. No problem with the warranty as far as I know. Surely they wouldn't endorse getting it done if it voided your warranty.

I live in CO where the sun is always out quite radiant. I've had tinted windows on almost every vehicle I've owned and never had this issue. Again the driver's side is fine. Tint may be the problem, but shouldn't be. The dealer shouldn't sell it or endorse it, if it causes problems.

9. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    shore990

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top