1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo and supercharger combined

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by metrick1215, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Sep 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    metrick1215

metrick1215 [OP] Pirate Medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    I was wandering the world of the internet and stumbled upon a project.. just wondering if anyone has attempted or tried this on a tacoma or anything else.. What power do you think would be produced running both? any problems with it.. Not that i want or ever could afford to do something like this it seems like an interesting concept..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9ddBIseTo

Obviously without the blower (not a blower fan except on a drag car)

I would say its possible to do and still fit under the hood, as i saw someone that did the turbo under the truck and back to engine bay.

2. Sep 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    It has been "done", locally to me. Was never fully realized though. Owner never was able to finish the build.

Rear mount custom turbo, matched with the TRD s/c. The truck made 16 psi in the 2k rpm range. My memory is vague on the exact rpm and boost psi. I can find the video though. That truck had a built engine.

Then there have been a few to be made in the UAE. STS rear mount turbo and TRD s/c. Not much data is available on those though.

3. Sep 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Dear god man is there anything you haven't done to a Tacoma motor yet? :D

4. Sep 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    If it is performance related, I have been apart of nearly every effort. ;)

5. Sep 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    metrick1215

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    I mean some people like one over the other for Top or bottom end power.. so if you have both.. i would be interested in seeing it especially at 16PSI at 2K

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. Sep 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    CFI AandP

CFI AandP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '18 BBP DCSB Limted
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  7. Sep 21, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    metrick1215

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    I know its been done.. i just would like to see what kind of numbers a Tacoma could pull .. also that is a 28 Cylinder motor.. holy crap!!! 3000HP

8. Sep 22, 2014 at 5:48 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I'll have to post up the pictures that I have, when I get home. As far as I know, there were only two kits made. One for the twin charged truck, which had a built engine, and one for stock engine which was only a rear mount.

9. Sep 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I remember the first gen MR2, you could buy a twin charged kit from HKS back in the day. Don't know how much power it made but that was pretty cool to see back then.

10. Sep 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    The biggest problems associated with twin charge is two fold really:

1: boosted boost compounds on itself. You will want a built engine.

1a: so does the heat. The TRD S/C is already a heat animal so you would need a way to control that. This can be hard to do considering the TRD S/C doesnt have a intercooler.

2: The turbo's boost over comes the S/C which becomes an obstruction at a certain point and the S/C will have to be bypassed to get max top end power, which can be complicated.

11. Sep 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Good call, sorry. Its also much more efficient than the 1st gen; uses 4 lobe screws vice 3 lobe eaton sytle compressors.
    Its water to air so it doesnt need to be too big.

Products Discussed in

To Top