1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dust Pre/Post Snorkel install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cltypes32, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Sep 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    cltypes32

cltypes32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD 4x4
    ARE, DR C/O, Icon Resi, OME Dakars, ARB bumper, KR Fab Sliders
    I have a 3.4 Taco. I'm on the fence about installing a snorkel. I know it's great for raising your intake for water crossings and dust. My normal driving will be for the deserts of the west, southwest and Baja. I've read that the dust and bugs will increase after the install (Safari Snorkel). That's because the stock intake is in a pretty good place for dust protection, inside passenger fender well. Any feedback from anybody who's has pre/post install?

2. Sep 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    bowyer2002

bowyer2002 always tinkering

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco SR5 D-cab 4WD
    OME 882s, OME shocks all around and OME Dakar spring packs, ARB, Warn 8000, ARE shell, Custom rear bumper w/ reciever, 5-235/80R17 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on FJ wheels, grey wire mod, Hi-Lift, Hellas, Red-Line hood lifters, Scion radio, sliders, Safari snorkel & LED Ditch lights on CBI mounts.
    I don't desert drive but I do drive a lot on gravel roads. I don't worry about the dust before/after my snorkel install.
    The initial reason the ARB snorkel was invented is FOR dusty conditions.
    The dust is less dense above the hood than at the hood PLUS you get cooler air from outside the engine compartment PLUS people will ask about your snorkel/truck!
    However, some bugs do make it into the snorkel (I have seen them but they're caught by the filter) but you can screen them out with a prefilter (shown in the photo).

pre filter.jpg

3. Sep 24, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    cltypes32

cltypes32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD 4x4
    ARE, DR C/O, Icon Resi, OME Dakars, ARB bumper, KR Fab Sliders
    See pic...It's what I'm concerned with. I'm typically not the lead vehicle. I've read that have the stock intake will get you cleaned air vs a snorkel because it's tucked behind the wheel well.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top