1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Chevy Colorado mega-thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by KenLyns, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Sep 25, 2014 at 12:54 PM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

Gross.

[​IMG]

Awesome.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. Sep 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^The curved cab might be a styling attempt to make the truck's rake less apparent, but it limits storage space behind the rear seats. Since the access cab is straight cut (could be dictated by the suicide door geometry), GM would have had to spend extra on tooling. Note there are three bed side designs - straight long bed, curved long bed, and curved short bed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs

The last gen Colorado had a boxed frame.. Didn't help much then. They also had issue with the aluminum front diffs cracking. Those who wanted a beefy front diff upgraded to the cast iron unit from the H3 alpha since the platform was the same.

4. Sep 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    hour

hour TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Well, that would involve keeping my Ram for about 17 years. I have no intentions of keeping any vehicle that long. We'll see if the Ecodiesel has typical diesel longevity. If you just bought a new 2500 SLT and are having problems, you should get things resolved under warranty?

I care that it's more fancy, to answer your question. I didn't even have cruise control or intermittent wipers on my 2012 Tacoma :rolleyes: I'm not sure why you think I'll be dumping it soon.

5. Sep 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  6. Sep 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Warranty didn't help me when the battery mysteriously lost charge, twice, while I was in field hundreds of Km's from a dealer. The dealer still hasn't figured out why it happens. Btw did you know that dodge doesn't actually label the battery terminals positive and negative on my model? Instead they put a cheap plastic red cover that can break off on the positive side and they think that's good enough. I'm lucky the farmer that came and rescued me was paying attention or we could of easily fried the truck because of that retarded battery design. Once the cover is gone, unless you are a bit auto knowledgable, you could easy hook the batteries in series and cause all sorts of expensive non warranty damage!

Neither did it help me when I lost 4x4 in the bottom of a coulee forcing me to go along the river bank illegally to find another way out. Good luck with your Ram, my 6 month old 3/4 ton is the shits and the warranty isn't keeping me working like my Tacoma does. I just hate beating the shit out of the Tacoma since it's my personal truck and I'd like to make it last 250,000 Km's.

7. Sep 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    hour

hour TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    There's not even a tiny + or - printed on the top casing of the battery? Either way, not like Ram makes the battery. You should be able to follow the cables and see which one grounds to the frame. Is that woman friendly? Not really... but it's not that big of a deal. While I'd want anything costly or time consuming to be handled by the dealer if under warranty, I still try to at least research issues and resolve to save myself the trip. I can only assume you have circumstantial parasitic drain, and if it's not consistent enough for the dealership to resolve then maybe think of what was different those two times it died, in the field.

No clue about the 4wd and that definitely sucks. Ram might be more hit or miss than Toyota but that wasn't enough to stop me from trading out of mine.

8. Sep 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    I think the Tacoma will be fine. A lot better quality in the long run than the others and a lot of brand loyalty. I know some are saying they should offer a front locker standard but in reality that wouldn't be very cost effective for them because in the scheme of things there is only a very small percentage of people that would actually want/use that. Nice yes, but not practical for them.

One thing I do wish though and I think Toyota needs to embrace is technology. The wifi hotspots, brake assists, blind spot monitors, digital dashes, etc. But at the same time, I'd like them to still offer "base" models with less technology for modifying. You get into things like the Power Wagons and the new Grand Cherokees and the technology is actually pretty darn cool.

Oh and uh...diesel please! lol

9. Sep 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It's not consumer friendly at all. Of course I could tell which one was ground and live, but it's still a half ass design to not even print a tiny little symbol on top. I could easily see how someone in a hurry could boost the truck incorrectly and cause thousands of dollars in damage. I know it's not Dodge/Crysler who makes the battery but, come on, it'd be pretty easy to put a sticker or something more permanent on that battery terminal. The dealership had me leave the truck for four days at the dealership while they tried to get the truck to die on it's own. No dice.

"EDIT" I also tried running down the battery by leaving the radio on a few hours and the truck still started... So whatever caused that drain in the field over a shorter period of time was likely a short of some sort :eek:. Luckily I keep my cell phone on me and not in the truck should it ever burn itself to the ground.

I've never had luck with Rams. I hope yours is a good one but no one I know seems to be able to keep them alive 100 percent very well. They all seem to have this issue or that, even though some are fairly minor like dead switches or HVAC problems. I get your point and agree that the display on the Ram is a nice touch. I like being able to read my tire pressures on the fly. However it's pretty much stock and standard on full sized trucks. That being said even the Colorado is coming without a full LED screen so I'm not sure how revolutionary the display on any new Taco would be. BTW anyone remember all those digital displays buick put out in the 80's... the ones that lasted about 3 years then crapped out... it'll be interesting to see how long the new dash displays in trucks and cars last.

I don't give a rats ass about the extra dummy gauges though. By the time one of them reads red your truck is FUBAR'd anywho.

10. Sep 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    My dad has had a few small issues with his ram.

His third brake light leaked from new he took it to the dealer 3 or 4 times and it still leaked :l

He eventually just used some quick bond or w.e the fuck it's called to seal the light.

Lot's of problems with the front end like wheel bearings going, ball joints have gone a few times and few other things I can't remember off the top of my head. He babies his truck too.

11. Sep 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    x2.

I'm hoping toyota is just waiting to see what it needs to beat from Chevy and then they blow it out of the water like they did last time.

12. Sep 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    He might have been in a research study. I was in one a few months ago on a complete redesign of the next gen ridgeline. The next gen Ridgeline looks nothing like the current gen. I've seen both outside and inside.

13. Sep 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's pretty cool. How did you get that invitation?

14. Sep 25, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    I'm signed up with a research company here in Phoenix. I made $100 for doing it.

It was actually pretty cool.

15. Sep 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I did another one for a company who was wanting input for stylus on tablets. Made $150 to sit there give me opinions and play with tablets for an hour and a half.

16. Sep 26, 2014 at 4:17 AM
    Pyramidsurf

Pyramidsurf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 3" OME
    People on this forum will nitpick the Colorado on anything they can.

The fact is most consumers just want a truck to commute in and move stuff on the weekends. The Taco has been selling so well because there is no competition. Hopefully, this motivates Toyota to bring something new and retire their decade old platform that gets worse mpg than the full sizes of today.

I'm sure the Colorado won't sell for MSRP just like the full size American pickups.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  17. Sep 26, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    TOY33

TOY33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 14 DCSB PreRunner
  18. Sep 26, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    snowmanwithahat

snowmanwithahat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica DCSB, TRD OR, V6, Auto
    I think the reason for it is probably what they talked about in the video. I'm almost positive it's so you can have a more relaxed rear seating position instead of the straight-back design the Nissan has or the no-leg room but semi relaxed design of the Taco

19. Sep 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    RZChief90

RZChief90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
  20. Sep 26, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot