1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

96 3.4 popping at idle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by devinzz1, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Sep 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    Makes a popping sound and the engine shutters at idle. Other than the popping it runs mint. Ive changed plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter (put an intake on), and pcv valve. Cel light is on and its giving me a knock sensor code. Any ideas? Video of problem---->>>>> http://youtu.be/JKz_sPuYmzY

Also my ignition has a light up ring around it and its a coppied key. From what ive seen this isnt factory?

2. Sep 27, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    devinzz1

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    The miss is not on every revolution of the engine and seems random. would a bad injector cause this?

3. Sep 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Burnt valve maybe? Check your compression.

4. Sep 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    devinzz1

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    With a compression tester or a leak down. When i changed plugs all the old ones looked consistant.

5. Sep 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Did this problem start at the same time the CEL started coming on?

6. Sep 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    devinzz1

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    I bought truck 2 years ago light was on at the time. It had sat for a few years as the owner has passed away. Im just getting it on the road this past week. Truck seemed to have been very well maintained and had a few maintenance sheets from a deal such as oil, filters, and timing belt replacements. Truck has 140xxxkms. The starter gave out today but when i fix tomorrow i try pulling plug wired one by one to try and find the culpret cylinder.

Also why would a burnt valve be the first choice? It does not happen all the time and will run smooth as day while in gear.

7. Sep 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Not really the first choice, but you were looking for ideas, and burnt valves are common in these trucks when the valves go out of adjustment.

The CEL may be an entirely different issue, but it needs to be addressed anyway. The ECM is not receiving a signal from one of the knock sensors. Either the sensor is bad, or there is a problem with the connection from the ECM to sensor.

If only the idle is bad, I would suspect the IAC.

8. Sep 28, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    devinzz1

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    the throttle body was also very gunked up on the filter side if that tells you anything. The thought of a bad valve scares me ahaha.

9. Oct 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    devinzz1

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    Cat converter clogged up ladys and gentlemen. Unhooked the bastard and seems to run smooth. Really had me scared with the burnt valve comment.

Products Discussed in

To Top