1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Short-Shifter (Seeking Opinions/Experiences)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kasbien, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Sep 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    Kasbien

Kasbien [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellen
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 6MT 4X4
    Pop rivets and JB Weld.
    Back Story
    I bought a TRD short-shifter kit off a guy locally for great deal recently. He claimed to have only used it for a few months before taking it off when he traded in his truck. Not sure how true that is considering the sticker on the box dates to back to 2010, but it still appeared to be in good condition regardless. I took it home and thoroughly cleaned it and gave the pivoting parts a dab of grease before installing it. Afterwards I swapped out my tranny fluid with some RP and was off to the races.

My experience so far
    Throws are definitely shorter and more direct (no longer missing third gear occasionally), but it doesn't feel any smoother than the stock shifter. It feels more "mechanical" and "clicky." Something that I was hoping it would improve, unless I'm missing the point of the kit itself? Reverse is a little harder to get into but not as bad for me as other people have claimed. The 2nd gear pocket still feels pretty rough when dropping it into that specific gear, something I was also hoping to fix with the addition of the kit + better oil. :confused:

Questions
    - Is anyone else experiencing the symptoms I've described?
    - Is it possible that one or more off the components on the shifter itself is worn out? (not sure if it's just me, something in the shifter, or the transmission itself)

I spent a lot of time on the install cleaning things up and making sure everything was perfect. I followed the xrunner guide step by step so I don't think it's an installation error.

Thanks guys

20140927_121756.jpg
    20140927_153416.jpg
    20140927_192804.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Sep 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    Redline MT-90 fluid made my transmission smoother and quieter. I'm running a Hurst/Core shift kit though. I had a lot of gear noise after the install so I changed to MT-90 fluid and everything got quieter and more smooth. I can't vouch for RP as I didn't try it.

3. Sep 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    Kasbien

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellen
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 6MT 4X4
    Pop rivets and JB Weld.
    I was originally set on Redline, but RP was on sale for $15/qt (regularly $45/qt) and I ended up going that route instead. It's probably too soon to tell if its the oil's fault, but if it were I would definitely make the switch.

4. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    Aloe

Aloe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD Sport access cab 4x4
    URD Short throw Fisher Plow
    X2 on redline mt-90. Greatly reduced my godawful grinding between 2nd-3rd!!!!

5. Oct 1, 2014 at 4:45 AM
    TacoBazinga

TacoBazinga Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Belchertown, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Manual, Magnetic Grey
    TRD Exhaust, Short Throw Shifter, Bead Lock Wheels, Undercover LUX cover, TWM Performace Desert Eagle shift knob
    I had the TRD short throw installed before I picked up my '14...before that, in my '06, I installed the TRD short throw myself. Never experienced any roughness or grinding. My '14 is great with the stock fluid. Of course, never having used anything else, I have no point of comparison...

6. Oct 1, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    Kasbien

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellen
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 6MT 4X4
    Pop rivets and JB Weld.
    Mine seems to require a lot more force to move it around than it did with the stock set up. Would say that yours is both smoother and lighter than before you made the switch?

7. Oct 1, 2014 at 7:01 AM
    MtnBiker831

MtnBiker831 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 Trd Pro
    Audio, lots of it
    Generally speaking a short shifter kit will make things feel more notchy and take more effort to shift. You are taking away quite a bit of leverage at the shifter knob so this makes sense and has been the experience of every short shift kit I have used.

Chris(NJ) likes this.
  8. Oct 1, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    TacoBazinga

TacoBazinga Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Belchertown, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Manual, Magnetic Grey
    TRD Exhaust, Short Throw Shifter, Bead Lock Wheels, Undercover LUX cover, TWM Performace Desert Eagle shift knob
    From what I remember, the only thing that seemed tougher was reverse. Everything else seemed the same, just shorter... I will add though that in my '14, I bought a hefty shift knob from TWM Performance. I bought it mainly for the looks, but they claimed the weight would make shifting easier. I have to say, I think it does...the momentum from the knob does help I think.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. Oct 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Well, did the guy you purchased the short shifter from have an x runner? Or did he have a 4x4 because there are actually two different part numbers for the trd short shifter for the 4x4 and the x runner which, if his were for an X runner id image it wouldn't feel right in your 4x4 . My experience with mine, in my 4x4 was that it cleaned up my 1st to 2nd transition as I wanted it to, also it did make it alittle more difficult to get into reverse as you stated, but not to bad, that's because the pivot point of the shifter has changed. Question though, did you get the TRD ball type shift knob?? If not you didnt, (but you do have the correct part number short shifter for your 4x4 tacoma, buy the knob because it further reduces the length of the shifter as a whole by about an additional inch over the stock leather shift knob, hope this helps! :)

Side note though, ive never personally been a fan of royal purple products, that might also be causing your issue as well, people rave about redline MT 90, im sure it's good but I wouldn't personally run it in my own truck. What I do run in my truck is what Toyota uses in their dealerships, which is Valvoline Full Synthetic 75w-90 , just my opinion on fluids, again, hope this helps you out.

10. Oct 1, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    Kasbien

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellen
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 6MT 4X4
    Pop rivets and JB Weld.
    It's the right one for my 4x4, I made sure to check the part number on the box. I do not have the TRD knob, I do have a ball type knob but I don't think it's weighted like the TRD one is. I would've bought the TRD knob but I'm not sure about the grey and red... I mean I really like my black and white one (see attachment). I'm not super opinionated on brands, but it would just kinda suck to have to swap out the RP right away. I paid $30 for it on sale so its not the end of the world I guess. :rolleyes:

20141001_144603(0).jpg
    20141001_144611.jpg

11. Oct 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    Kasbien

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellen
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 6MT 4X4
    Pop rivets and JB Weld.
  12. Oct 1, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Hmmm, well the only other thing I can surmise , since you do have a ball type shift knob, did you buy that special Toyota pinkish transmission glue and used it on that cap that gets bolted to the trans?? Thats really the only other thing thats commonly overlooked or not done at all.... I dont understand the significance of using that exact glue/silicone or whatever it is, but Toyota stresses that it be used. You may also want to grease, and I mean really grease your U joints on your drive shaft, these also contribute greatly to shifter feel in my opinion... but id also swap out for the valvoline full synthetic over the MT90 , save yourself some money lol

13. Oct 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM
    Kasbien

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellen
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 6MT 4X4
    Pop rivets and JB Weld.
    My dealership wanted $37 bottle for a small tube of it. I went to my local auto parts store and got Loctite RTV form in place gasket for $8. Cleaned everything meticulously before applying it and torqued the bolts to spec afterwards so I think it should be good. Greased my u-joints ~8,000km ago. Since the knob is eliminated from the possibilities, I think I'll swap out for the highly praised Redline and replace the nylon bushing on the end of the shifter mechanism as mentioned in this thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/243818-sloppy-6spd-shifter-2.html). Fingers crossed. :cool:

Thanks for all the input so far everyone!

14. Oct 2, 2014 at 12:59 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    yeah, the nylon bushing might be the issue, and i used the the pink glue lol, yes i paid $35 for it lmao, i just wanted to be 1000% sure i was good to go lol, but yeah man, i do hope the redline does it for you along with that bushing, toyota says grease the u joints every 5000 miles, i think they are full of poop, u used to do it every 5k, i think every 3k is a much better figure lol

_chris likes this.
  15. Jan 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    Kasbien

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellen
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 6MT 4X4
    Pop rivets and JB Weld.
    BELATED UPDATE: Shit, I meant to update this a while ago with some good news! I replaced the nylon bushing and gave the whole system some "break in" time of several hundred kilometres and it started shifting great. All around it felt better -- not perfect, but better.

DAMMIT... I toyed around the weighted shift knob idea and turned a few out of brass: one weighing 265g and the other 165g respectively. I tried them out for about a month in November but wasn't sold on the idea so I switched back. Fast forward to present and things are loose again! :mad: I now have about an inch of travel in gear pockets before it even pulls out of gear. The stick wiggles around loosely now too, and I fear it's only gonna get worse.

Thoughts? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  16. May 31, 2022 at 9:25 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but what's the part number for the 4x4 short throw shifter?
    This is the only one I can find

Screenshot_20220528-182236_Chrome.jpg

17. Jun 1, 2022 at 5:19 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Yep, that's it. Same part number I used for mine. Bought from McGeorge Toyota for $274 a couple years ago.

18. Jun 1, 2022 at 5:30 AM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Interesting, this one says it's for an x runner

19. Jun 1, 2022 at 5:40 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Got me. tbh, I didn't even know there were different part #s for xrunner and 4x4.

20. Jun 1, 2022 at 5:53 AM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    They were talking about it in the thread a bit. But if it works for your 4x4 it's probably fine

Chris(NJ)[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top