1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help detailing my truck.......

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by J1Time, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Aug 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    J1Time

J1Time [OP] That guy...

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    So I bought a 2014 double cab Tacoma TRD off roAd package in black this week. Naturally I wanted to take it off road and see its capabilities and did so this weekend. Needless to say it came back filthy. I have never been a car detailed or one to do anything other then an automatic car wash. After reading in here I see that's a poor choice so decided to wash by hand. Here is my experience:

First, used Maguires wash/wax yellow liquid stuff
    Used a microfiber wash MIT to get dirt off.
    These two items were used after taking it to a "uspray" type car wash for the pressure washer as I had some pretty think mud caked on.
    Bout another "microfiber" drying towel and dried the vehicle right after washing.
    Vehicle was washed at 0800 hours with overcast skies (not raining) and vehicle was cool to touch.
    After washing I was gong to apply Maguires gold class wax ( never waxed a car in my life).

After drying I noticed water spots all over? WTF what caused these? What am I missing? If I was over the spots will it mess them up or look like shit?

Please help,a first time detailer trying to keep his truck somewhat nice....

2. Aug 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    More than likely your water to wash the vehicle caused this or the spots were already there. What did you use to dry your vehicle? Second, did you use a drying agent (detail spray, waterless wash) to help with spots.

I would take a small amount of wax and test on an area. It may take the spots out. Depends upon how hard your water is. If that doesn't work, try a clay bar.

3. Aug 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    J1Time

J1Time [OP] That guy...

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Used a microfiber towel to dry. Spots were not there to begin. Never heard of a drying argent. This is something sprayed on after the wash then wiped off? Then wax applied after that?

4. Aug 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    ArcherTaco

ArcherTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toy-Tec Kit, Tool box fit to bed, Dipped badges, cab lights, running boards, Flowmaster exhaust
    It's a black vehicle. Clean is an illusion...In all seriousness ace makes a great point. It could have been a lot of things. Try and see if the wax takes it out. when I wash my truck im lucky if I can get it to stay clean when I turn around so you're already a step up on me :rofl:

5. Aug 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Meguiars makes a detail spray. While the vehicle is still wet, spray down with detail spray, then dry. What brand microfiber are you using? Use caution as debris can become trapped in it and cause swirls.

6. Aug 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    mesasone

mesasone Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camden
    Eastern IA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Access Cab SR5 V6
    When I got hard water spots on my truck after spraying it down with the hose (never again!), I was able to polish them off pretty easily using a small amount of Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 and a clean microfiber rag. If all else fails, you can try that.

7. Aug 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    swamp rat

swamp rat Well-Known Member

Member:
    augusta ga we call "discusta"
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab sr5
    westin bull bar w/ driving lights
    the spots you see are most likely from hard water,minerals in your water. try wolfgang products ,I hear they are pretty good a little pricey though! Me I take my truck to the car wash to wash off all the stuck on grime the water hose don't remove,then take it home for a good old hand washing(don't I repeat NEVER use the wand brush ) people use them to clean caked on mud on their ATVs , wheels, shower doors and what ever! I use Rain X soap,microfiber mit &dry towel. And because I'am really picky I always wash & dry them after each use and place them in zip lock bags just to keep out dust & other contaminates that could hurt the finish and always use a separate pale for the wheels & tires Hope this helps.

8. Oct 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    Sweatthedetails

Sweatthedetails Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Oh yes the Jet Black vehicle. You dont own it, IT OWNS YOU. Get familure with a rinses wash using DI water. It will be your best friend. The water spots are hopefully mineral deposits and not etching. Deposits can be removed with detailers clay or a cleaner wax. I just posted this video in this forum but in case you missed it this is the rinsless wash. Do it in your garage or one of those pressure washer car wash bays.

Rinseless Wash - YouTube

9. Oct 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM
    Venman

Venman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ven
    Chesapeake
    Vehicle:
    2014 virgin Taco 4x4
    My favorite drying tool is a synthetic chamois like "The Absorber" or something like it.
    Soaks up water, squeezes out easily, and leaves no scratches.
    I've even used a silicone squeegee.
    I used to have a black vehicle and Meguar's #9 swirl remover always made it look the best.
    More gentle than a cleaner, but still lets water bead.

10. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    TRD2013Chris

TRD2013Chris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport Dbl Cab Long bed
    Spray Detailer and use 2 micro fiber clothes. Spray on the truck, wipe in the spray with one cloth then use the other one to completely dry it. use 2 different color ones so you dont get mixed up.
    My Black paint looks immaculate when i do this. Get so many complements

11. Nov 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    Mizzouborn

Mizzouborn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma PreRunner
    Thorley Headers Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 40s Bilstein Shocks/Struts K&N Air Filter
    IMO this is the best answer. Works great and lasts forever.

Wash it
    Dry it
    Wax it
    Done

Products Discussed in

To Top