1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID retrofits

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Reaper1994, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Oct 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    Reaper1994

Reaper1994 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s all around Front set ant 2.5 Rear 1.5" AAL Dipped Badge Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hey guys, I pretty much know what my problem is as of now but looking for suggestions on the best/easiest way to fix it my HIDs were installed by a guy I know from Instagram he did a great job don't get me wrong but my rotational alignment is pretty bad (nothin he could have done to really help that beings he didn't have my truck to do some testing) but here is what my beams look like, I've been just running them on hi-beams to keep the slant from bothering me under suggestion of a friend with some. Luckily they don't blind other drivers tho, but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412473958.646058.jpg

2. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    I had it just as bad as you bro. There is no "easy" way to fix it. You have to remove the head light units, cook them, pull them apart to remove the projectors so you can get the tabbed lock washer off. You then need to mill the washer tabs down so that it has room to rotate in the plastic of the back of the headlight. If this doesnt make sense, just let me know and I can post pics and a more in depth walk through.

3. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    Reaper1994

Reaper1994 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s all around Front set ant 2.5 Rear 1.5" AAL Dipped Badge Magnaflow Exhaust
    Ok I think I get what your talking bout man REEEEAAAAALLY appreciate it! But see luckily the way my HIDS are I can actually pull the bulb out of the back and get to those tabs I think you talking about because I was told just try twisting the bulbs real gently it wasn't enough so I took the back off and saw those tabs. I think I can get those tabs cut off or grinded off without dismantling the headlight. Fingers crossed lol. I'll let you know what happens man haha again I really thank you a lot!

4. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    OMG, thats horrible

5. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    Reaper1994

Reaper1994 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Lol yeah it's pretty cockeyed lol

6. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    No worries. Thats what we are all here for. With the way HID projectors work, the bulb has nothing to do with that slanted look. The bulb just puts out light in all directions. The projector directs it. You have a bar that runs across the inside of your projector that makes it a low beam by blocking some of the light. When you switch to high beam that bar folds flat, letting all of the light escape your headlight creating a wider and brighter high beam. The reason it looks all slanted on yours is because your projectors are not level. This can only be corrected by rotating the projector. The reason I suggest pulling the headlights apart, is cause when I redid mine, I have a lock nut holding the washer down. Removing the nut will release the projector and it will fall into the headlight unit. When you do grind those tabs, remember, you can always take more off, but you can't put it back on. Do a little at a time then put it back together and try it.

7. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    After I got the washer tabs to the right size, I also had to make this nut smaller to be able to tighten it down enough to hold the projector in without hitting all the plastic back there.
    photo1-3_zps6c591d69_f4e49eb5c0bf4cdc4706a9d34236caedaf4e46f7.jpg

8. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    Reaper1994

Reaper1994 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Ok man I see now! Thanks again! I probably won't get to look at em till some time this next week though

9. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    It took me a couple days to fix mine due to the fact that you need it to be rather dark in order to shine them and make sure they are flat. Grinding, putting it back together, putting it in the truck, taking it back out to grind a little more is tedious, but well worth it!! Once you have it where you want it, consider glueing it in place. I used double bubble on mine. Just don't glue the bulbs in. :facepalm:

10. Oct 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    Reaper1994

Reaper1994 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Lmao will do

Products Discussed in

To Top