1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Easiest Place To Tap Dome Light Wire (2nd Gen w/ link to 3rd Gen)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by .jake, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mar 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    .... and end result
    [​IMG]

2. Mar 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Added courtesy light to shine outside of door, not just a puddle light but so i can read a document/map outside my doors.
    LED pods i used.
    - connected to dome light circuit along w/ footwell lighting attached under dash.
    [​IMG]

on the interior, I fastened LED strips to a short piece of aluminum 1/2" angle. The aluminum length spans the two humps in the floor right under the front of the seat.
    -added the coarse loop side of velcro to the aluminum. The loop part of the velcro sticks to the truck's carpet. Wire runs under the carpet, into the center console area and connects to the illumination wires for the Auto transmission selector. These LEDs are then controlled by the dash dimmer. (Must connect both +, and - from the LED strips to the illumination circuit wires. Do not ground the - end of the LEDs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

resulting bling. the light does not glow upwards past the console.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  3. Apr 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Can't see well in your pic, which wire did you jump into for the negative door ground(9)? Blue, light blue, blue with white stripe?

Looks good by the way

4. Apr 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I have to say this. Do not use this method to attach any wire in your electrical system, Ever. It is not safe or recommended by anyone that has done any serious electrical work.

You may as well just twist the wires together and wrap them in tape... ( sarcasm ) :\

Sure the LEDs do draw a small current, what happens if it gets shorted straight to ground?

5. Apr 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Connection is the same as described in the posts above, the - connection is to pin 9, happens to be a blue color on the 2005 tacoma.

Jimmyh's criticism does have value.

In this circumstance the fit is no different than plug, and jack type connections that fit together by friction, and I am content the fit does hold up to vibration. Your experience may be different, and Jimmy's comment should be heeded if you are at all concerned. The current draw is also small enough to not generate any heat across the connection.

That said, using such a non-engineered 'mickey moused' connection for connecting driving/fog lights would be looking for trouble, and potential melting of wires, or even a fire.

Soldering wires, using engineered connectors for the proper size of wire, current capacity and insulated for the operating voltage, and if using crimp connectors, using the proper tool correctly are all best practices to ensure longevity, secure and safe electrical connections.

Feeding the small wires for the LED via a small 2Amp fuse would protect the small gauge wire from a short circuit from the + lead to ground along the route to the individual LEDs. This is what the OP .jake did in his example. The overall dome light circuit is protected by the stock 7.5Amp fuse.

6. Apr 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    MTopp

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Ok, I'll just have to go and look since I'm not sure how to tell what pin is what number. Also, is it bad to have too many grounds in one place when using LEDs or anything I guess?

7. Apr 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport

"...tell which pin is what number."

see post#2 of this thread.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...st-place-tap-dome-light-wire.html#post7752254

" Also, is it bad to have too many grounds in one place when using LEDs or anything I guess"

Yes, it can be, but its not much of a concern with the LEDs. By replacing stock bulbs with LEDs for your dome light and map lights you are actually reducing the load, so adding LEDs is not too much of a concern.

The ground is controlled by the dome light dimming circuit which also turns off your dome lights if you leave your door open for too long of a period. This 'ground' or more properly negative side of your LED connections is the described blue wire on pin 9.

8. Apr 7, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    MTopp

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    Alright, I will read that diagram, thank you very much for the link. Any recommendations for map and dome LEDs? I know there are lots out there, just wanted your opinion

Edit: ordered some from superbrightleds and oznium, some great websites

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  9. Apr 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    Eltacos

Eltacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    BFE CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    LED conversion on every accessible bulb, TRD exhaust (dealership threw in for free along with the Blu-Logic).
    NOTE: if either end falls and touches ground, either the LEDs will illuminate all the time, or it would be just ground-ground. If the LEDs illuminate all the time because the negative side fell loose, unless your battery is super old and doesn't hold a charge well, the LEDs will not drain your battery for hours.

10. Apr 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    ..and there is no ground potential nearby for me, it's all plastic. Wires are secured such that if it became disconnected the connection cannot fall/ hang loosely.

11. Apr 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    Li0nel1234

Li0nel1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lionel
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD OR DCSB SSM
  12. Aug 16, 2014 at 5:22 AM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
  13. Sep 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    JTyfz450

JTyfz450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeryck
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    Sub'd to do courtesy LED lights under the truck.

14. Sep 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    2007TacBorla4X4

2007TacBorla4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4 Short Bed
    Borla cat back, K&N cold air, Silver star bulbs, Nerf bars,NEW BFG, Weather teck windows, Flash light on the drivers seat, TRD off Road ft tow hook, Rear driving lights on bumper, Weather teck windows & ft bug guard, 4X4 switch glows, Windows tinted 20% sun shade
    I took it over to my local stero shop and for 20.00 had them tap the wires then I put leds under the doors and dash board and put a led in the back of the bed. It turned out really cool.

15. Oct 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    Just bought 4 (2 x 2/pk) of these to do this mod. Alpena MAX-LED 12" strips.

Two 12" strips use 0.36 amps, so 4 (1 per floorwell) should take 0.72 amps...

I might take lotsa pics & do a DIY write-up.

http://www.alpena.ca/Product.aspx?id=1082

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  16. Oct 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    I used this method, and I'm also going to wire in a switch to turn on just the footwell lights by themselves...

Gonna steal the "aluminum L-channel with velco" idea to mount the rear lights (facing rearward) under the front seats.

Cant fingure out a simple method without making another bracket for atleast the drivers side...

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    Taco Guy11

Taco Guy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
  18. Jul 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    RifkinMasterson

RifkinMasterson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    Vince the prince and lpfe42 like this.
  19. Jul 12, 2016 at 7:41 AM
    justchil

justchil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    13 AC TRD OR
    Very useful thread with the diagrams.

I bought some striplights from VLEDS. They are really nice and bright. http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=striplight

I plan to put them under the dash in the front foot wells.

I wish the Tacoma had the dimmer switch like some other cars do... you control the brightness of all your dash lights but also have the option to turn the interior lights on. I may just do this with a switch or use the dome light switch or some other way. I haven't thought it through yet.

I mostly just wanted to say thanks for the diagrams. That saves some time!

20. Jul 15, 2016 at 11:11 PM
    justchil

justchil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    13 AC TRD OR
    Truck isn't very clean but here are two of the 6 LED VLED Striplights in 5k white. Pretty bright and it matches the rest of my interior leds. Thanks @.jake your diagram / photo was very helpful.

I used 3M t-taps. Not a huge fan of them but space was tight. Normally I would cut the wire and use a step down butt connector w/shrink ends.

MTopp likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top