1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Outfitting Taco for several months on the road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Frobozz, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Oct 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Just a dead bear that thought I would make an easy meal. I gave him a little belly ache, skinned him out and made some fantastic sausage out of him. Not to get off topic, just something to consider about camping in bear country that maybe the OP didn't think of.

2. Oct 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    ArcherTaco

ArcherTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toy-Tec Kit, Tool box fit to bed, Dipped badges, cab lights, running boards, Flowmaster exhaust

Not that you don't make a valid point, because I agree with you, But I have been in and around some very heavily bear populated areas since I started hunting and the liklihood of even seeing a bear around people in a CG or around a traveled trail is slim. Especially with people making noise such as campers. With a secured food source away from your tent and vehicle I don't see why someone couldn't feel perfectly safe. I always have and until I run into the one bear that will prove me wrong I will continue to do so. Most bear "attacks" are provoked by the person involved when dealing with a black bear

3. Oct 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM
    ArcherTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toy-Tec Kit, Tool box fit to bed, Dipped badges, cab lights, running boards, Flowmaster exhaust
    It was brushing relevancy...I mean the OP is talking about camping in some of the states mentioned where the bear population is substantial...

:popcorn:

but I'll pipe down for now

4. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
  5. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Get a V-6

6. Oct 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    V6 double cab long bed and TRD Sport for the comfy seats. 2 adults living out of a truck for an extended period - it is very very nice to have a full back seat so you don't have to unpack and wrestle with things to access what you're looking for.

I have a TRD sport DCLB and I found that a pair of Wet Okole neoprene seat covers added lots more comfort to the already improved seats. Those things are a great addition.

I have a fiberglass NorthernLite slide in camper which makes roadies in a tacoma awesome and much more comfortable. They only weigh 750 lbs and are hardly noticeable with the v6. If you picked one up used (mid or late 90's for about 6000-8000) you could use it until you're done with it and sell it for top dollar. All I did for a suspension upgrade was Timbren SES HD bumpstops for like 100 bucks.

Wool (specifically merino wool) clothing. You can wear a merino wool tshirt for a week and it still feels and smells totally clean. Merino wool socks can be worn for days too if you air them out at night. For trips they're terrific.

You can't go wrong on a trip like that in any truck if you have the right attitude. I had some great roadies in my 1990 reg cab 2wd Chevy s10 when I was 18. It was a $2000 truck and one of my favourite vehicles I've owned just because of the things I did in it.

Enjoy the trip and good luck.

7. Oct 4, 2014 at 1:59 AM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    V6 and a YETI cooler. Congrats on retirement!

8. Oct 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM
    cmrock1

cmrock1 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off-Road
    True!

9. Oct 4, 2014 at 4:33 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    I am about your age, and have made 8-10 trips Memphis to Colorado, most in my previous truck, a 93 Mazda 2.6 5sp. Most all were at least 50% tent camping. My Tacoma is a V6 access cab, and both trucks had tonneau covers, soft cover on the Mazda, hard cover on Tacoma.

Not a fan of sleeping in the truck bed - you have to unload ALL your stuff. Also never did very much 1 night camping, usually at least 2-3 nights to justify camp setup time. Generally found inexpensive motels (mostly family owned/operated) easily without any reservations. Did long days across the the Midwest, ie 700 miles, if interstate. Once in the mountains, 100-250 miles or less, depending on attractions and sightseeing. I do suggest you do some "trial trips", ie long weekends, before your big trip, to get a feel for your comfort level mixing camping/other accommodations. Also get the govt camping pass, covers multiple federal agencies, usually 50% discount for camping, unless govt has the facility operating by a contractor.

Had NO trouble with the 4 cylinder Mazda - even towed my 4 wheeler on one trip including Raton and Monarch passes. Generally had the bed full, even with an extended cab truck.

Best wishes on the trip and congrats on retirement.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  10. Oct 4, 2014 at 4:42 AM
    Frobozz

Frobozz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD/OR Access Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
    We have done quite a bit of camping, both vehicular and backpacking, so have much of the gear for a week or so (several tents, stoves,etc). What we have never done is taken off in a vehicle for several months.

Yeah, I'd pretty much decided V6, long bed, and loads of space behind the seats to keep the bed as clear as possible, probably remove the seats. I might even buy my first Auto trans in 40 years. ;)

I'll have to try the seats in a TRD.... I don't actually mind the buckets in my AC, but not sure I want to spend months in them.

I imagine we'll hit motels a couple times/week... just to have nice shower facilities. We've also stayed in a few KOA campgrounds and they usually have showers.

I'm thinking some sort of small-ish screen/tent and a couple folding chairs... just so we could sit outside at night bug free (or relatively bug free).

11. Oct 9, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    Frobozz

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
    Good advice, I appreciate it. Our plan is to do a lot of camping out of a truck next summer (2015) with several extended trips, and then hit the road for real in Mar/Apr 2016. I'll qualify for the pass early in 2015, and the wife already has hers (yes, I married an older woman).

Oddly enough, though I haven't owned an auto tranny in decades, I find myself thinking a bit more power, mated to an auto, would result in a bit less fatigue. Plus the extra oomph might open up some options by way of compact slide in campers.

Some sort of seat covers that add a bit of padding, and perhaps extended thigh support might be my next research interest.

12. Oct 9, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    MSCOFF

MSCOFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 AC 4WD
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  13. Oct 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    Frobozz

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
    Just for the record. I live in Maine. A State with a Black Bear population > 30K. I've seen them in my back yard, and found one in my garage.

But it's always good to be reminded that one needs to remain vigilant and aware that open, or available, food containers ae inviting and can be dangerous.

14. Oct 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    Frobozz

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
  15. Oct 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    ArcherTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport

Good to know. Just a heads up if you weren't a bear guy. Didn't know where you were from or I wouldn't have mentioned it. :cool:

16. Oct 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    J1Time

J1Time That guy...

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Lot of good stuff here....

My input,

V6, 4x4, and a long bed. Rest will fall into place

17. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    I hate to say it, but what is the big deal. It does not sound like you are going to take off for weeks at a time out in the bush so you will most likely be in areas where you can get supplies. Other than some long treks between stops on the ALCAN highway it doesn't seem like you have to worry too much about running out of anything (you might consider a 5 gal Jerry can if you do the ALCAN). There is simply no need to go off on your trip looking like Teddy Roosevelt on an African Safari. Take enough with you for 3-5 days on the road and you will be fine.

18. Oct 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Check out Expedition Portal and their forums. There is no better source for overlanding and expedition travel information.

19. Oct 10, 2014 at 5:59 AM
    Harvis

Harvis Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harv
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    Many years ago, a buddy had an early T pickup, one of the small ones, outfitted with what I considered to be an outlandishly large camper. that thing hauled his and his wife's butt all over the country for years. It was a four-banger automatic. In truth, it did lay down on him one time in Kentucky with a blown head gasket, but that was about it. It was virtually bullet proof...but slow!

My company had a fleet of the small trucks, always vastly overload with our equipment and driven into the ground. The biggest problem was a/c's (because they were constantly on) and brakes because of the heavy loads. Their reliability turned me off of Chevy's and for my personal truck I went to my '06 Tacoma prerunner.

For a vehicle intended for long hauls over months, I'd strongly advise a genuine four-door for the sake of repeated daily, convenient access to your kit.

20. Apr 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...

Products Discussed in

To Top