1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Updates On Disabling The Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rickochet, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Oct 11, 2014 at 4:49 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I have an '09 Taco that will soon be needing it's second set of tires. I was wondering if that would be a good time to replace the TPM sensors if that is my only option. I have read varying reports of how long the batteries in the sensors last. I really don't like the system. I check my tire pressure regularly. The low pressure light has never come on in my vehicle in the 6 years I have owned it.

I did a search for disabling the system but couldn't find any recent up dates. Some I found pretty much involved disassembling the dash to get to the system plug. Some put tape over the light which still involves disassembling the gauge cluster.

It would be nice to have the system on a dash switch so I could turn it on an off if you chose.

Any updates on disabling the TPMS?

BTW the TPMS is even worse on my wife's '12 Highlander. I can't even get to the spare tire valve without lowering the tire and have to take it to the dealer to get it checked which they do for free but still is a PITA.

I just thought of a question. I was wondering how this system works? Does it have to have five sensors sending signals to the TPMS or would putting a new one in the spare and removing the other 4 completely work?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    some of us have used our computers with the OBDII plug with the toyota software (clone) to disable seatbelt chime, i wonder if the same could be done with the TPMS? i havent looked through the software enough myself to know...

3. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Why would you have to go to the dealer to get the spare tire pressure checked? Drop the spare and check it like you do the other four.

To make it easier you could get this: http://www.amazon.com/Accu-gage-Chek-Spare-Valve-Extender/dp/B0006O2S8M

Or google for different brands: https://www.google.com/#q=Spare+tire+hose+extension

yes it has to have all sensors.

4. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    No you cannot turn off the TPMS as it is Federally Mandated that all vehicles after XXXX year will have TPMS from the factory. Some are too dumb to check the tire pressure. Thank Firestone and Ford for this with their exploding tires they were installing on the old Ford Exploders.

5. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    thats odd, i know on other new cars it can be coded to off. (MB, BMW ect) figured Toyota would allow for that in the software, what a pita...

6. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you really want to disable the system?

Let me tell you a story..... Last year, a piece of steal came off the back of a truck while driving on the highway. It bounced around and ultimately, hit the front end of my truck. At the time, it felt harmless... a little thump and that was it..... and...."Just great, what kind of damage am I going to find?"

Low & behold, a minute later (or less)....my TPMS light came on. I was able to get off at the nearest exit and park before the tire went completely flat. That piece of steal put a slash in my tire about 3" wide. It could've been a lot worse and I'm glad I was 'pre-warned' and was able to get off the road safely.

It's there for a reason. Some folks will never use it. But that ONE time you use it.....you'll be damn glad its there.

theolee and TheDevilYouLove like this.
  7. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I would just wait until the sensors fail, then replace them. I have three sets of wheels, one of which does not have sensors. I just ignore the light when running those wheels.

An interesting note:
    If your vehicle goes into a tire shop with TPMS light off, it has to leave with the light off. If it shows up with the light on (ie wheels without sensors), they can let it leave with the light on. My tire shop does free seasonal wheel switches if you have multiple sets - wheel and tire. The only set I have to switch myself is when I put on the ones without sensors.

8. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Dropping the spare is a PITA for an old geezer with bad knees. The valve extender looks like a better idea. Thanks.

9. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    wrong. it can be coded to OFF with BMW and MB, those are just the ones i personally know. ive done it to both vehicles. the BMW i did myself, and on an S55 the dealer did it for me. no "hacking" required :rolleyes:

the more i think about other manufactures the more i believe our techstream could prob do this...

there are plenty of good reasons to turn them off. and they certainly arent going to take the place of common sense.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  10. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    beaverseeker

beaverseeker Member

Member:
    Safford Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2009 shortbed double cab prerunner
    Spyder headlamp housings, HID low beams, 20 inch GENSSI led light bar, all interior and exterior lights converted to LED, lighted cup holder, pop and lock tailgate wired to door locks, valentine one radar detector,removed the ugly sun-visor stickers
    I took my sensors out and put regular valve stems in, then took the dash apart and placed a very small piece of black tape over the light in the dash. Problem solved.
    Those little sensors are a bit pricey for something I do monthly, I find the tire pressure system not good for me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  11. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    How difficult is it to get the dash apart and back together?

12. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio

Figure a full Saturday for the first time you do it.

Lots of little bits of plastic and fasteners and pins, you don't want to be in a hurry and miss disconnecting one and break it.

The other simple solution folks have adopted I don't see in this thread is to build a little PVC cylinder with a shrader valve - throw the sensors in it, and keep it pressurized to 32 lbs psi.

Alexely999 likes this.
  13. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    According to the guy I was talking to at America's Tire, while he was reprogramming my system - on Tacoma's like yours with a sensor in the spare, the TPMS computer won't accept being programmed with five sensors.

On 2011 models, there's no TPMS sensor in the spare. Since I rotate my spare in with the others (and I had an extra sensor installed in the spare) I have to have them reprogram it every time they rotate the tires. :rolleyes:

14. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I have seen similar posts but you still have to have sensors with enough battery power left. If you have to buy new sensors you might as well put them in the tires.

15. Oct 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    crazy joker

crazy joker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
  16. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Not exactly correct. The consumer can disable the system, but not a business.
    http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20111123/NEWS/311239995

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/161292-complete-tpms-disable-guide.html

17. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
  18. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  19. Oct 12, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    beaverseeker

beaverseeker Member

Member:
    Safford Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2009 shortbed double cab prerunner
    Spyder headlamp housings, HID low beams, 20 inch GENSSI led light bar, all interior and exterior lights converted to LED, lighted cup holder, pop and lock tailgate wired to door locks, valentine one radar detector,removed the ugly sun-visor stickers
    It only took me about 2 hours to take the dash apart, put the tape, and back together. I tried to build a PVC sleeve and that did not turn out well, that little pressure in a tube that small is a dangerous thing if you are not careful. Wouldn't want your kids getting their hands on it either.

20. Jan 22, 2019 at 1:25 PM
    scouterjan

scouterjan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD OR AC in good old white
    Just asking but after reading the threads not sure. 09 Tacoma just swapped a full set of winters on factory wheels and sensor light is on. Manual says it can be reset . True or not? or just ignore the light

Products Discussed in

To Top