1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2WD Add A leaf selection

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DixonCreekDrifter, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    DixonCreekDrifter

DixonCreekDrifter [OP] Grey Headed Shop Teacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Dixon
    east of the Rio Grande and south of the Canadian
    Vehicle:
    Last Truck
    Stock for now
    Now for a serious mod.

Took off on a family mission trip with 735 pounds of tools and a set of four stockTacoma wheels and Michelin tires under the Leer topper to discover the bumpstops were working overtime. Most of the time the springs let the load “float” down the road. Handling was okay, but when the interstate would tend to get wavy and the bump stops would slam the load. Off-loading the wheels and tires helped, but very little.

I have decided on Bilstein 5100 rear shocks as part of the solution but it isobvious I need to up-grade the leaf springs in the rear.

There are lots of solutions to this and every expert has had a new improved salespitch to sell air bags, bigger bump stops, bolt on springs above the rear leafsprings and the “best” pitch was a custom made set of ten progressive leaves from a big rig shop with a shortened Ford 9” axle he just happen to have for 1200$.

I would like to keep this simple so I turn to the Tacoma World forum for advice and direction. I have narrowed the selection down to the following four Add A Leaf packages. ICON 51100 Multi-Leaf Add-A-Leaf Set, Wheeler’s Multi-Leaf Add A Leaf Set – 1.5″ Lift 3 Leaf Progressive, Wheeler’s Multi-LeafAdd A Leaf Set – 1.5″ Lift 3 Leaf Progressive, Heavy Duty Version, or ToyTecToyota Lifting Leaf Springs.

I will be using the 2WD Tacoma for camping, but going beyond the forest service roads is not part of the plan. 95% ofthe time is spent on paved roads or at least regularly maintained roads.

Please feel free to share your experience with AAL products that include more than just one leaf and replace the stock overload.

IMG_0441.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. Nov 21, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    DixonCreekDrifter

DixonCreekDrifter [OP] Grey Headed Shop Teacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Dixon
    east of the Rio Grande and south of the Canadian
    Vehicle:
    Last Truck
    Stock for now
    Up graded to a 2012 4x4 and replaced the stock springs with a Wheeler 2 leaf replacements and the Wheeler three leaf add a leaf I had ordered for the 08. Carrying the load is no longer a problem.

spiralout462 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top