1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Struggle: Spot vs. Flood, and their advantage over eachother.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by User Name01, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Oct 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 [OP] Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    I was able to find a "good" price on a set of 6LED pod/square lights, but they only come in spot/driving and not floods. My question is, to those of you who have spots, do you wish that you has floods? Those with floods, do you wish you had spots? I have never had floods so I have no idea if they would be that much more of an advantage over spots. Thank you all.

2. Oct 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I run a set of both.

3. Oct 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    ^^ Show off.

4. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    User Name01

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Vehicle:
    These are my plans. One set on the hood hinge amd the other on some brackets in the bed. Right now, I have 4 spot Hellas in the front and they work alright. Do floods cover that much more?

5. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    Roneyj

Roneyj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma/05 4Runner
    Start with floods. Flood patterns are more useful for more driving conditions. If you find that you are off roading at 100mph and need to see the next curve a half mile away go with spots. Floods will give you more distance than you headlights but will also cover the road from shoulder to shoulder.

6. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    muddog67

muddog67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im running a set of square flood lights on hood in front of my wind shield and spots on my front bumper below grill . They give off allot of light when both turned on and I just changed my headlight bulbs to xenon bulbs which are four times brighter then stock and when all light are on its like daylight . Bought my LEDs on Amazon . They are CREES

7. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Pretty much this. At night, your not going to be hauling ass, as....well....that stupid unless you are properly set up for it, and of more advanced off road skill level. Propperly mounted lighting is more important than having a shit ton of lights on the front. Example....50" light bars. They look cool, but the amount of glare on the hood actually hurts your depth of vision, negating any additional output they offer. Pictures don't do much lighting justice, but this pic is with LED low beams, and KC C3 LED pods in Flood pattern. The building in the back ground is about 150 yards away, and there was no light within a half mile in either direction of where this photo was taken:

[​IMG]

8. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I'll get a pic of the LED's in driving beam, and the C3 floods together as soon as I get time.

9. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Well it looks like you have some hid spot lights in the front in your avatars pic, so I would've gone with floods. Those little pods would be better used as floods anyways and wouldn't be much useful as spots as the light output isn't effecient to throw them that far and would only light up a small section. Floods are the way to go for little ones. Spots for bigger ones. that's how I see it anyways. Utilizing your lights for your needs and getting the appropriate combination of lights to be as efficient as possible.
    Ideally you should mix it up so you have a range of lighting both spot and flood. I have two combo bars that are mostly flood and only the center spot. Then two more shorter bars that are floods. I have a really nice output with a nice even spread of light all around. But I do plan on getting another bar strictly spot for a bit more distance lighting.

10. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    User Name01

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Vehicle:
    I live in Lubbock and my parents live around the Houston area. I am going to have to drive through some twisty, secluded and dark country roads during the winter months. I am trying to get my setup on before the Thanksgiving break. Even my advisors here at Tech told me to "throw some lights up on the rig". Those deer....
    Thanks for the help so far guys.

11. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I spot more deer by seeing their eye glow before the lights are on them, than with the lights actually on them. That said, I have a 22" spot/flood combo that lights up a whole lot more than the high beam and fogs. It doesn't seem to go down the road any farther than the high beams, but it does light up the ditch (and trees over head) better. Check my avatar for mounting location.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  12. Oct 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    Figg

Figg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4X4
    Led bar up top, another tucked away in lower grille. 6" Pro Comp, 35's.
    This is so true, I have a 42 on top and it is useless for light output. If your windshield is dusty, forget it. All you will see is every particle of dust on the glass. Not to mention the reflection off the hood if you have a light colored truck. Some guys on here with Rigids and the high dollar spot pattern big bars say it's not as bad, but not many of us have 14 to 1600 dollars to drop in a bar Basically, I only use my 32 in the lower grille now.

Products Discussed in

To Top