1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drop in BedLiner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AustinDeh, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Oct 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    AustinDeh

AustinDeh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    I've been looking everywhere but cant seem to find info on this. Do they make a drop in bedliner either rubber or plastic for an 04 Extended Cab Long Bed? All I can find are bed mats, or Carpet.. I am really trying to stay away from spray in bedliner and really like the drop in liners on the 2nd gens.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Something like this.
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    first off you have a last year of the first gen not a second gen.

second gens are 2005 and up and they don't have metal beds, they are made with metal sides and cross supports but the floor itself is all plastic so you take out the liner you take out the bed floor.

spray in liners are 1000% better then drop in plastic liners that trap junk under them, scratch off the paint from rubbing and vibrations, and they hold water

3. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    I'm not 100% what truck you have by your description. Toyota had three cabs - regular cab, xtracab, and doublecab. I can't find evidence of anything called a long bed in 2004, however that doesn't mean I'm right, just that I can't find it.

This company says it sells a liner for a 2004 xtracab. Over the rail, and under.

http://www.qualitybumper.com/products_B.asp?make=Toyota&year=2004&thetype=P.Type=%27dur_bedliners%27&thetype2=Type=%27dur_bedliners%27&the_engine=&the_cab=Access%20Cab%20Short%20Bed&the_model=Tacoma

4. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
  5. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    TuckGraham

TuckGraham Keep it straight

Member:
    First Name:
    Tg
    Montana
    I want to ditch mine and put bed liner in. To bad your not closer....

6. Oct 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    AustinDeh

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    I don't know what happened, if you guys skimmed and didnt understand what I said but sorry for the misunderstanding. I have a First Gen (2004) Xtra Cab tacoma with the Long Bed(6.2 ft bed). The 4dr has the Short Bed(5.1 ft bed) correct?

I like the drop in bed liners from the 2nd gen that you can buy from the factory. A friend of mine has the 2014 baja package tacoma with a rubber drop in liner and it works perfect. I was looking for something similar to that which Is why I mentioned liking the 2nd gen drop in liners.

I was entertaining the idea of spray in or DYI liners but the problem is I race motorcycles for a living and a lot of times I have a bike, tools, spare parts and what not in the bed for training season. I have another friend that has a spray in liner but the rough texture ends up scratching a lot of the equipment. if you guys have any ideas for that problem that would be great and I would definitely look into spray in liners again.

Thanks again for the help, and sorry for the confusion!

7. Oct 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    You have to remember though that first gen Tacomas have metal beds. 2nd gens have plastic beds. So your friend will be fine with the rubber drop in liner but the plastic drop in liners for the first gens are horrible at trapping moisture/leaves/dirt underneath which creates rust and they also scratch the heck out of the bed.

Not all spray in liners have a rough texture. I personally hate the sandpaper type spray in liner. You just have to shop around and find the kind you like. My spray on is grippy, tough, and smooth.

Here is a thread with some pictures of what people found when they took out their bedliners http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/347920-should-i-take-out-bed-liner-have-look.html

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  8. Oct 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    AustinDeh

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4

I was actually just looking at that thread. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the info, I didnt know the bed of the 2nd gen was plastic. Do you know of any liners that are well known, durable, and would be a good option for my uses? Is this something better for a shop to do or is it easy to do myself? (I have a paint gun, and a full collapsable paint booth -- Not sure of the supplies but I can look it up)

9. Oct 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    Yup 2nd gens all have plastic beds. What you can do is go to your local farm store and buy a horse stall mat and cut that to fit. Won't cover your sides but is heavy enough it won't fly/pull out easily. I had a plastic liner on my old t100 and loved it to death, way better than the spray in liner on my dads truck. I would throw tons of firewood and logs in the bed every year, never made a scratch in the plastic. Did it hold a little moisture under it? Yes a little but I also live and had that truck here in Washington state for 15 years where it rains 9 months out of the year. It did rust a little but nothing more than surface rust. I would go hands down for a plastic drop in liner over a line-x or something similar.

10. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    Terminal4

Terminal4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South of the Sierras
    Vehicle:
    98' RegCab 4x4
    Kings/camburgs, shackles, magnaflow, hid's, fj's n hankooks, 03 front bumper, batzmaru
    Might be able to end this madness...where in CA are you located? Ive got this oem drop-in for a 6ft bed ive meaning to sell:

20141007_171039.jpg

11. Oct 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    Karlow

Karlow Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    So CAL
    Vehicle:
    Box Stock 03 PreRunner
    none
    That is not the right liner. I have that one. I just put a shell on my thuck and had to remove the liner. There is some ware near the edges of the top rail, and worn paint in the bed. Most of the bed ware in in the middle. He is looking for one that does not cover the bed rails. I'm in So CAl as well. East of East LA. I need one that does not cover the rails as well. I might end up just cutting the top of the liner off and droping it in there. If anyone has what I need, we can trade. I have the one in the pic. 03 exthen-O-cab.
    They also sale a heavy pad for a camper (cab over type). My truck came with one. It weight in at around 60 lbs. I don't want to haul that thing around all the time.

12. Oct 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    I have a spray in liner that isnt really rough at all. Pretty much just there to protect the paint. And after years and years of putting heavy and sharp debris, its finally chipping away. Not a lot, but in random small spots. I'm pretty pleased with it. Don't know if it was done aftermarket or even what type it is, but it'll be a lot better than the drop in.

13. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    I agree, personally I would give someone my "like new" plastic liner if they pay half the cost to get the bed sprayed.

I guess everyone has different tastes but to me a plastic liner is just something that ids constantly damaging your paint job and guaranteed to make your truck rust over time unlike a spray in that stays clean and dry and prevents your truck from rusting.

14. Oct 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM
    AustinDeh

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    The other thing Is I'm in Los angeles, so rust isnt really a big issue out here as its super dry. However, i do see where you guys are coming from. I called a local Line-x shop out here with really good reviews and the guy seems really genuine with recommendations. He didnt seem like he was trying to up-sell me. I'm hoping to get some good info and maybe go the spray in liner route. Still looking around on craigslist for used plastic liners, so at this point its just kinda whatever works out the easiest.
    thanks everyone for the advice and help. I hope it gives a little insight to the other members here looking for some more info on this subject.

15. Oct 14, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I have a bed matt.

Covers the whole bed bottom. I got it for my '98 after I ditched the bed liner. I loved the fact that I could pull it out with ease and stuff in the bed did not slide around.

I found the liners were just a place for abrasion to occur, thus promoting corrosion.

16. Oct 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM
    Terminal4

Terminal4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South of the Sierras
    Vehicle:
    98' RegCab 4x4
    Kings/camburgs, shackles, magnaflow, hid's, fj's n hankooks, 03 front bumper, batzmaru
    Also check out bullet spray in liners. As close to a plastic feeling liner as you'll get. Not sticky or rubbery like line x, rhino, etcetera etcetera etcetera...

17. Oct 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM
    JonEvans56

JonEvans56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    Dead Truck
    Rust, dents, cracking plastic, oxidized paint...
    Plastic bed liners are ok, but they don't grip things you put in the bed very well. It is rather smooth plastic, so gear in your bed that isn't packed tightly or strapped down will slide all over in your bed. Spray in liner will be better gripping to the things in you bed, depending on what type it is. It can always be removed by sanding it, grinding it, or sandblasting it off.

18. Oct 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    A good Line X or Rhino sprayer/installer can adjust the texture.
    Last year I purchased a roll on kit, Herculiner, and did the interior floor of a 73 Landcruiser and the top of the sliders for traction while getting in. Honestly it is incredibly durable and a nice rubbery smoothish texture.
    It is easily thinned out with acetone if the texture is too much but, I found it perfect and will use it again. GL.

Products Discussed in

To Top