1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Securing a bicycle (i.e. keeping it from getting stolen)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mrcjolsen, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Oct 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    Mrcjolsen

Mrcjolsen [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma SR5 black auto
    Removed wheel covers
    I think my Taco Truck is going to be my new bike hauler. I was using my Nissan Rogue (bought because I could get my bike in without taking any wheels off.)

However, my hauling my bike with the truck would be easier and result in less wear and tear on the headliner of my Nissan.

The only issue is security. I need a way to lock it to the truck. The tiedowns can be unscrewed, so don't offer the best security.

I've thought of running a cable around the frame between the cab and the bed. would that be dangerous?

2. Oct 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Cable can be cut. I am assuming you need security when not driving? If so, maybe store the bike inside the truck when not driving? Does your bike have quick release wheels and seat?

3. Oct 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Rocky Mounts Driveshaft SD.
    [​IMG]

4. Oct 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
    The safest way is getting a camper shell and leaving the bike in there, out of sight out of mind. Chains and cables can be cut...if its a frequent thing I would get a shell, if its a once in a while type of deal I would just risk it with chains and cables I guess.

5. Oct 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    VintageFast

VintageFast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 3.4
  6. Oct 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    veg hed

veg hed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    04 Toyota TRD SR5 V6 Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 620 springs, OME Dakar Leafs, ARB Bumper, Warn 8000 Winch, Grey Wire Mod.
  7. Oct 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I went for seven years without a car, bike only. The only way to prevent a bike from being stolen is to not have one.

My "more hassle than it's worth" setup was:

Kryptonite lock, locking the frame to something immovable. Stair railings are good.
    1/4" cable looped through both wheels and attached to frame and if possible above-mentioned immovable object. Quick disconnect on the seat and take it with you, or permanent bolt the seat so it can't be stolen. Seats get stolen all the time.

I cannot see any way you're going to be able to pull it off in a truck. I use a shell and throw mine in the back, but then I take it out and ride when I get to my destination. I'd no sooner leave a good bike in the back of my truck than one of my good guitars, or anything else valuable for that matter. A vehicle is just not very secure.

8. Oct 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    It depends on where you live and will have the bike.

A cable lock works for places like Fruita, but in Oakland CA people will bash windows on a shell to get a bike.

You have to do your own risk management here as nobody has an answer that applied directly to your situation.

Consider how much your bike costs, your renters/homeowners deductible (if it covers theft), how much hassle you want to deal with, how much you want to spend on locks to prevent a theft...

9. Oct 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Exactly.....
    To the OP: If your bike isn't anything special and/or isn't worth much (under $500 for example) - A Cable lock will do just fine to act as a preventative measure.

A thief isn't going to waste his valuable time trying to cut a cable for a bike that's not worth anything to him. There's just not enough cash flow on a used average bike.

If he is crazy enough to cut the cable & take it....Let him. He obviously needed it more than you did for whatever reason. Rather let him take the bike than take your truck. Does insurance cover it?

Or...you could spend a shit-ton of money - more than what the bike is worth - to totally secure it. Why? You could buy yourself a new bike with the amount of money you could spend on security.

10. Oct 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    Mrcjolsen

Mrcjolsen [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma SR5 black auto
    Removed wheel covers
    I should have added that I just need something to keep someone from walking off with it in the event I have the bike and I want to stop for dinner or something. It's not a super expensive bike but it's extremely valuable to me.

11. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    capturecolorado

capturecolorado Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    01 4Runner SR5 with some things attached
    ^^^ This.

I've got a handful of these, I took some 3/16"x3" plate I have sitting around and bolted it to the bed. Right now I have the plate across the entire bed, which isn't necessary, but it was fast. In preparation for a biking/wheeling trip to Moab, I'm going to redo this, by cutting short pieces of the plate, just long enough to span 3 ribs in the bed, bolted down with 4 bolts - one per corner - and have 2 or 3 of these offset on the bed for handlebar clearance.

They're really handy because they're extremely stable, lockable, and fast (enough). This is the only method I feel comfortable with leaving my bikes in the back of the truck for extended periods of time without having to trust a cable. The height also *just* clears (about 1" extra) my softopper - 27.5 Pike 160, 5.5" HT and 20mm rise bars. Only bike I can't fit back there is a 29er with long travel, or my cross bike with the topper on - seat post and seat tube are too tall on the cross bike to fit, and any bikes I put back there I slam the saddle if it's a dropper, or just pull the post.

Products Discussed in

To Top