1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0302 #2 cylinder misfire/help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by eric70412, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Oct 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    eric70412

eric70412 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 SR5
    Hey guys, I was driving home from work yesterday and my 2003 Tacoma 2.7 started missing kinda bad when going up Hills or when I gave it more gas trying to speed up in a high gear before it shifted into a lower gear.

It takes me about 40 minutes to get home and about half way the engine light came on & was "blinking" and then went out. Seems to run fine until I give it more gas. When I got close to home it seemed like it was getting worse & would miss a lot more & then my check engine light came on again blinking but this time it stayed on. I hooked it up to my OBD2 code reader & it says "P0302 cylinder #2 miss fire".

The truck has 135k on it but I have only had it for a lil over a year. So I don't know if the spark plugs & wires were ever changed. Anyone ever have this with theirs??

I hope it's just a the spark plugs & wires that need changed. I've never dealt with spark plugs with the coil packs before!!

I posted this in the 4 cylinder section & got no replies so I figured I'd try here now!

Thanks

2. Oct 7, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Start with plugs, likely due for it anyway.

Do you have 2 coil packs or 4 COP's (coil-on-plug). My '99 has 2 coil packs.

If you have COP, Then I think you can switch the #2 COP with another one, and see if the the 302 becomes a 30?. If it doesn't change, then it could be the #2 injector.

3. Oct 8, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    eric70412

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    I have the 4 COP's.

4. Oct 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Well, how is your troubleshooting going?

I just noticed that according to your bio on the left, you say you have a 2.7 AND a V6. What do you have? I don't have experience with the V6, or a motor with COP's.

You really need to narrow it down to an ignition or fuel problem.

I would, first, check for a signal getting to the #2 COP (wiring issue?).

I assume you can swap COP's between cylinders. When you do that, and the problem does not change (still a P0302), then its likely a fuel ( #2 injector or injector signal) problem.

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  5. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    eric70412

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for asking! I haven't had time to work on it lately since I've been working a lot. I haven't been driving it. I have a 01 4runner also that I have been taking to work.

My profile is wrong! I no longer have that truck. The one I have now is an 03 2.7 4cyl 4x4. I really need to update that sorry.

I bought the spark plugs already from Toyota & on my off days this week I'm going to tear into it. I found a coil pack on rockautoparts.com for $33.00—$55.00 (there is 4 or 5 of them on there for my truck) that I was thinking about buying. Dealership wants $100.00 for one.

I know that I may not need it since it could just be the spark plugs themselves causing the problem, but I was thinking why not buy a cheap one off of there & just put it in there while I'm changing the plugs on the #2 cylinder?? Since I'm going to have to tear it all back apart if just the plugs aren't the problem!

So I figure all new spark plugs & a new coil pack for #2 cyl. Put it all back together & then go from there.

Does that sound like a wise thing to do??
    Also do you know which way the cylinders are numbered for a 03 2.7??

I have a Haines manual but just figured I'd ask since I'm writing all this & haven't had time to look. Thanks!

6. Oct 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    4-banger cylinders, in my experience, are numbered 1 thru 4 with the one nearest the radiator #1.

You have a good plan. Plugs and coil. If that doesn't work, then at least you have a good spare coil.

7. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I had that same issue, my #2 spark plug had wiggled loose and popped the plug wire off. You have COP so you might wanna just snug the plugs up, they could have gotten loose.

8. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    So what happened OP? I'm having the exact same issue with Cylinder #2 on my 2.7L 3RZ motor. I changed the plugs but the light came on a few days later. I will try swapping coil packs to see if one is bad.

9. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    eric70412

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    I got lucky guys!!! I changed my spark plugs today and now she is running back to normal.. Took it for a ride up through the mountains & everything seems to be fine! No misses! The coil packs were in great shape with no oil on em. However the plugs were way worn! They were NGK's (not stock) so im asuming the PO did change them at one point. I bought the denso's from the dealer. I also ordered a coil pack for it & havent received it yet so I guess ill have a spare on hand if one should ever go bad. It was only $31.00 from rock auto parts. So far so good hopefully it stays running good!!

Thanks everyone for they great advice! So glad it wasn't anything worse! I'm happy now!!:)

Here's a pic of the worn plugs! I think I read somewhere that they are supposed to be changed every 30K??? I could be wrong on that though..

NCM_0670.jpg
    NCM_0671.jpg

10. Oct 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    eric70412

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pa
    Vehicle:

My plugs were pretty worn! I just changed them and now everything is normal for now. My code cleared and so far hasn't came back on. I'm gonna hook my OBD2 reader up to it here in a little bit to make sure.

Were you having this issue with yours before you changed the plugs?? Or did it just happen after you changed them??

Keep us updated in case mine starts acting up again! Good luck!!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  11. Oct 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    I just changed my spark plugs and they were way overdue. However, the code came back on so I am ready to try swapping a coil to see if that is the issue.

12. Oct 15, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    eric70412

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    Is it also missing or is just the code on?

13. Jun 10, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    sevshun69

sevshun69 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4
    Hello all. Im new to posting here. I have had a reocurring problem with my 01 taco. Here is a little back ground before i get to the problem. About 3 weeks ago i found out i had a burnt exhaust valve and had to replace the motor since a valve job on a used motor wasnt an option with the miles i had on it. So after a new rebuilt motor and trans installed ive been getting a misfire in Cylinder 2. I have moved plugs, coil packs around to see if this causes the mis to move and it does not. I need some help on what else to check. During the engine rebuild i had my injectors checked all were within manufactures specs. I put all new plugs in during the rebuild and have replaced 2 coil packs. I need to get this thing running before fathers day next weekend. Any help is greatly appricated.

14. Jan 27, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    Pequenojuan95

Pequenojuan95 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma prerunner
    Hey everyone. Just got my Tacoma and I’m having an issue with p0302. Cold start once warmed up runs fine. It’s when I turn it off and come back 10-15 min later that she begins to rough idle. No code yet, I’ll begin to drive and cel will start to blink and engine will shake when idle. I changed all 4 spark plugs and changed coil for #2. Ran fine for a bit. Turned it off and it began again. Not sure what the problem can be. Maybe injector #2?

15. Oct 31, 2021 at 5:38 AM
    fourtwozero

fourtwozero New Member

Member:
    I have the same issue with the 0302 coming back on my2.4 , but I don`t see any solutions on here any where.

Jimmyrace likes this.
  16. Nov 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    Jimmyrace

Jimmyrace Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    Betty '03 Taco MTM Xtra-cab DLX 5VZFE
    OME struts / springs / leaf pkg :: SPC upper A ::
    been dealing w/ same on my '03 3.4L for a few months now (236K+) - new maf, o21(A/F), vsv's, plug-wires, coil - cyl 5 (reverse order) - every step makes some difference, but still now quite right ... bout to do a compression test ... and am currently thinking could be IAC valve as i get a weird kinda ticking from throttle body ... also also eyeing the the ECT valve but that seems to be doing what iti is supposed to ... have been monitoring all my values via an wifi elm w/ Car Scanner Pro for quite some time now - my light triggered when after a cross-country haul across the high-plains during late may (super hot & windy) when i got out to bay area CA - my mech. out there suggested injector & plug so did that & cleaned throttle-body while disassembled - engine looked pretty good then ...dtill there was something so changed pcv for after market (p.o.s. - just go get oem for that) - seemed better b/c the orginal was mos def clogged (no code for 1600 mi as i drove back cross-country in super hot dry conditions (i-40 in june) - apperantly after market pcv crapped out - just re-replaced it again w/ oem - made a diff fo sho) Still there is something & i am only ever recoding for 0302 ... also havent reset ecu since recently replacing o21(a/f) last week - so will probs do that today before getting into compression testing ... such a flippin headache w/ this thing (and now my cat1 is making a small sound it used to not ... par-clogged cat? i dunno yet - gonna also run some cata-clean b/c why not) - also still need to temp check befor & after cats as well ... tbc

17. Nov 2, 2021 at 5:01 AM
    16 Bore

16 Bore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 Ext Cab 2.7 4X4 5sp
    I washed it once or twice
    I had a 301, changed the CP and still getting the same misfires. Tuning in for a solution.

Jimmyrace likes this.
  18. Nov 6, 2021 at 9:03 AM
    Jimmyrace

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    Update: can't tell if cataclean did anything. did a compression test & have really good compression (210psi) in all but cyl.2 (90psi) - dropped a bit of oil in the hole twice & it only came up 5psi / each time (final last reading on cyl.2 was only (100psi) ... thinking (hoping) it is a sticking valve or limit a bit out of whack - it is however time for a valve cover gasket change even tho no leaks (esp. so now) - that is more than likely still a few weeks out for me at this time tho. she still is running pretty good all things considered

19. Nov 6, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    Jimmyrace

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    have you done compression test - what i suggest. def help me dial in the issue to a single location. in all fairness the other things i replaced were all due (over-due perhaps) for replacement as all things go w/ entropy & use. also suggest spray some starting fluid around your valve covers to check for vacuum leaks.

20. Nov 6, 2021 at 9:10 AM
    Jimmyrace

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    what about plugs / wires? go w/ ngk if you do - had a bad denso wire set that ohm'd really low after changing all plugs / cp's beginning '20 - makes me leary of the denso cp's ... actually i changed-out the cyl.5 cp for an ngk & showed some improvement even tho the denso ohm'd proper ...

Products Discussed in

To Top