1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 OEM DIY Cruise Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by midwestfourwheel, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Oct 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    midwestfourwheel

midwestfourwheel [OP] Member

Member:
    This install is on a 2015 2.7L manual shift. While I have attempted to glean info from prior threads, a problem for me has been the length they have attained over the years and info on older models that may not pertain to this install, causing me to become blurry eyed and confused.

Having confirmed presence of the two lower wires on the plug under the steering wheel shroud that I believe are evidence of this vehicle being prewired for cruise, ordered the OEM cruise switch, clutch switch, and bezel (switch cover) today.

Now if I understand correctly, no new brake switch will be required, yet application of the brake will still interrupt the cruise? I understand the mechanics of how this is possible; what I don't understand is if this is true, then why does the clutch start interrupt switch not also perform multiple function by also working as a cruise release?

In any event, will attempt to update results once completed as I can't help but think that others may also be interested in what pertains to current model as opposed to older production years.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. Oct 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    midwestfourwheel

Member:
    The cruise stalk with screws, clutch switch, & bezel arrived today via fleabay. My eyesight is not what it was 30 years ago and I struggled to find the two torx screws retaining the airbag. These are shown circled in red on photo and while not the view one would see when searching for them, I was unable to get a good camera angle on desired shot.

On this 2015, they both need to be fully unscrewed (plastic retainer prevents them from falling out). Some older sources on the net indicated they should be loosened until head slides in slot, didn't seem to apply in this case. Wrapped up steering wheel and tested for dash cruise indication which is present. Imagine this tired ole fat body will require seat removal to access the clutch switch install tomorrow. If I find the harness difficult to locate I'll post pics, otherwise this install is pretty straightforward and the primary harness did come preinstalled on this 2015 very basic 4 cyl 4X4 stick shift Access Cab.

cruise installa.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. Oct 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    It's good that it came wired; the clock spring itself would have been another challenge assuming the rest of the harness was there too.
    I have to believe your biggest challenge fm now on is the brake switch, for that harness interface point. The fact that we're all fly-by-wire at this point means that the ecu will do almost everything, including cruise (no more throttle wire modules). So the functions are likely to be 'turned on' with your hard work/parts. (similar, others have updated their wipers to full intermittent and the functionality is all in the switch)
    good luck; be careful with the air bag!!

4. Oct 17, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    midwestfourwheel

Member:
    See, now you've confused me by bringing the brake switch into the discussion.

While I've yet to put my big head into that small space for a firsthand look; the seller of the other components stated a new brake switch would not be required on a 2015 manual transmission model installation.

Which led me to suspect the original brake switch would already have adequate wires to handle the cruise interrupt task.

Did you mean to say clutch switch?

5. Oct 17, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    lloyd

lloyd Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma Access 2.7
    HID headlights, LED interior lights, Hella and stock HID foglights, Hella HID driving lights, backup camera, Wiper mod, cruise control mod, higher rate springs , X- runner Rear rollbar and x-brace, K&N air filter, Amsoil in trans and diff, EBC yellow stuff pads pads, stainless brake lines, 18x8 40mm wheels with 235 55r 18 tires, oil cooler with remote big oil filter
    You do not need a brake switch, only the clutch.

6. Oct 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    midwestfourwheel

Member:
    Thank you for clarifying the brake switch confusion.

Prior to installing the clutch switch today. In addition to pulling the seat, a wood wedge was cut to fit the pivot bracket on the clutch pedal, allowing it to remain engaged and leaving more room to see what was being done. Next task was to cut a ratcheting combination wrench in half....well worth the sacrifice. The factory switch harness was taped in plain view next to the switch location.

In summary, clutch and brake interrupt work as designed and all that was required to purchase for this 2015 manual shift installation was the cruise control stalk with mounting screws, bezel (cover), and clutch switch.

wrench.jpg

7. Oct 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    nv529

nv529 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2006 Long Travel Taco, 2010 FJC, 2018 F250 Alumiduty
    Could you list the part numbers for the stalk and cover? I'm helping a friend with his 2015 with auto trans. I'm assuming we'll only need the stalk and cover. Also how did you remove the air bag?

8. Jan 3, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    openroad

openroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 2.7
    Cruise control, rear view camera.
    This is great.
    I have the same 2015 4 cyl. MT (4WD) and would love to add cruise for my long commute.
    I've been told by dealers that it's not possible . . . seems like a legal problem; anyway it would be awesome to see a picture of the clutch switch harness.
    If I have the clutch switch harness does that also mean it's pre-wired?
    Great thread and thanks to those who updated it. It's crazy to have to purchase an expensive package to get one option that I care about. I hate that Toyota has eliminated OEM accessories. (Even fog lights)

9. Jan 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    lloyd

lloyd Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma Access 2.7
    HID headlights, LED interior lights, Hella and stock HID foglights, Hella HID driving lights, backup camera, Wiper mod, cruise control mod, higher rate springs , X- runner Rear rollbar and x-brace, K&N air filter, Amsoil in trans and diff, EBC yellow stuff pads pads, stainless brake lines, 18x8 40mm wheels with 235 55r 18 tires, oil cooler with remote big oil filter
    My 2015 4cyl MT was pre-wired from the factory. I just plugged the control in and was good to go. I did not have to do any wiring. Hopefully you will be lucky.

It is pretty easy and cheap to add OEM fog lights.

10. Jan 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    lloyd

lloyd Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma Access 2.7
    I did not even remove my dash or seat. I laid on my back and tied the clutch peddle out of the way. Measure how much the bolt sticks out before you remove it. You want the metal part of the switch sticking out the same amount.

11. Jan 4, 2015 at 7:27 PM
    openroad

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 2.7
    Yeah today I crawled in under there on my back and sure enough, there is the clutch switch plug hanging there right by the pedal! I only have the bolt and lock nut for pedal adjuster so I see how the clutch switch will replace it - really easy.

Now if I can just figure out the two torx screws. Haven't found them yet. And, I don't really understand the pre-wire "test" yet.

My guess is that all of these trucks are pre-wired so the same wiring can be used on any package. That would make so much sense from a manufacturing standpoint.

Thanks for all the help! I love this forum. This is fun.

12. Jan 7, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    openroad

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 2.7
    I cannot find the two torx screws. Is it necessary to remove the steering column shroud to get to them? Are the screws put in from the back side of the steering wheel? THANKS VERY MUCH!

13. Jan 10, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    openroad

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 2.7
    Found the torx screws! They are hidden under plastic covers that fall right out if you put your finger nail in the crack.

14. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:09 AM
    15taco4x4

15taco4x4 Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4 DC manual transmission
    2015 access cab base manual. Installed cruise switch 84632-08021 with cable. Also installed Rostra 250-4206 Universal Disengagement switch for clutch.

It was easy. I did not have to remove any parts of the dash. For the clutch switch lay on your back and cram your head down next to the pedals. The wires/plug for the clutch cancel switch is right next to the bolt since it is prewired.

I used info from this thread to install.

15. Feb 11, 2015 at 5:05 AM
    rcsb jon

rcsb jon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '17 Ridgeline RTL-T | AWD | White | Ebony
    -WeatherTech liners
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Aug 17, 2015 at 3:18 PM
    nTg

nTg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB MT
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top