1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    CVTejas

CVTejas CVTejas

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport
    Farad Cold Air Intake, BFG All Terrains, ARE Z-Series Deluxe Fiberglass Top w/ Keyless Entry and LED interior lighting,Road Armor front bumper w PIAA 510 driving lights, Edlebrock adjustable shocks w factory coils, road Armor front bumper. Kenwood DDX8901HD
    Everyone seems worried about electricity for their homes and how they can bug in for months if they have a generator. If the SHTF and it's a long term power outage, you won't have running satire for more than a couple days. Not only will it not becoming out of your tap, but your toilets won't be working. More importantly for those of us on city sewage, the sewage collection systems that are run by electric pumps won't be running which means that sewage will eventually backup to everyone's house.

Lastly, if you are the only one on your street or block with a generator running, everyone is going to hear it as well as see your lights on and come to you because "it's your duty" to share what you saved for your family with everyone else, because that's the mindset of the general public.

If it's just bad weather, I'm good for two weeks at home, If it's anything else, it's bug out time with a few select folks. Water pumps, purification, first aid, fuel pumps, are just the beginning of the items to consider. You should have your emergency plans for bugging in, bugging out via vehicle, and finally a 3 day plan for on foot. After that, you need a new plan.

2. Oct 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    12KW, $9000, you can run 3-4 homes on that :eek: Plenty of power, quiet, but expensive. I guess you have to set your priorities. I have a 4KW gasser, more than enough to run my well and heat (pellet stove), a few lights, and charge some batteries:thumbsup: No sewage worries I have a septic system:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Oct 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    It's just proper planning to have a well and septic system. In the old days, many homes also had cisterns. I like that idea, but haven't really figured out where I would put the damn thing.

Everyone in this thread preps for a different scenario. That's ok. No matter what we anticipate, it's good wholesome fun.

4. Oct 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I thought cisterns were illegal in OR, or was it ID? Some states have restrictions on harvesting water, CRAZY:eek:!

5. Oct 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Yeah, western water rights are a mess. Someone once arrested a lady because she put a barrel under a downspout so that she could get rainwater to wash her hair.

http://boingboing.net/2009/03/18/people-who-use-barre.html

You can have a backup cistern though if it contains water you have paid for.

Make a pond and spend a month in jail:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/329723

6. Oct 18, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    The water off the roof is legal to catch, but I live in a desert and would fill it with a well pump. The benefit would be that I could have several hundred gallons on tap when the lights go out, which seems to happen every time there is a storm out here. We currently store water in 7 gallon jugs, and have had to use them twice already. Once when the well pump died for about a week, and once when the transformer got hit by lightning.

7. Oct 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    Theloraxcross

Theloraxcross "He's Got the Crazy Eye"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    San Angelo Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD OR
    Ok guys I'm looking at a small patch of land that has a holding tank on it but no well as of yet. The holding tank is fed by a small stream. There isn't a connection to city water avail due to distance from town. I would like to make this my primary residence as it is only 40 minutes from work and the land is perfect for me. It has a small old house on it that needs lots of updating but it is perfect as well. The problem is the water. If it had a well I would have written a contract on it today. Any thought/ideas? Yes, I'm of a prepper mentality but of a practical nature.

8. Oct 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    Are you active duty? If so, don't buy a house. You will get orders to BFE at the worst possible moment. Are you from San Angelo? If you have family to look after the place if you deploy or PCS then maybe, but it's tough to be a homeowner on AD. That said, water is life man. Is the stream natural free flowing or a typical Texas ditch? How deep is it to water? Could you drill a well?

9. Oct 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    Theloraxcross

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    San Angelo Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD OR
    No longer active duty. Just me no family son works in the Oil Fields in Okla. Well can be drilled but I don't know how much it would be. That would be the solution but theres no gurantee that drilling would equal finding water, much less water that is potable. It's just that the land is damn near perfect. It's where I would like to retire. I'm 20-30 years too early for retiring but the land just came avail, and I'm scared that if I don't get it now and slowly work on it I won't be able to find something this good for this price when I am closer to retirement. See the dilema.

10. Oct 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    You can write anything (legal) into a offer. Have them install a well that supplies potable water. Or offer contingent on a supply of potable water, ect. You get the idea. If you can't get potable water by reasonable means, is the land perfect?

11. Oct 19, 2014 at 12:35 AM
    Theloraxcross

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    San Angelo Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD OR
    Very true if the land does not provide what you need than it isnt perfect. Very aggravating but exciting @ the same time. Thanks for the replys. I do appreciate it.

12. Oct 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    The first place we lived when I was little had no city water and no well but only a cistern. Dad had to borrow a water truck once a month and fill it at the town's water tower to refill the cistern.

Wells can either be a boon or a bane. My Grandpa built a farm house with a septic tank and well. He drove the well himself as the water table was relatively high. Thirty years later those wide open fields were filled with hundreds of houses, all with septic tanks and wells. Needless to say, the water quality suffered. The final straw was when the nearby city annexed the section on the other side of the highway and dug a drainage ditch. The ditch was actually lower than the wells and when it ran the wells would fill up with storm drainage. I think that area now has city water and sewer but it's only a recent addition.

Even if you have a well, a cistern may be a good idea. I've known several people who had low-flow wells and pumped into a cistern so that they would have enough water on hand for emergencies.

13. Oct 19, 2014 at 2:13 AM
    Theloraxcross

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    San Angelo Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD OR
    For me the issue is that there is not currently a well on the property. But evidence that there was possibly one once. Theres a cement water trough that 7x3x3 about 20ft from the house in front of one of two barns. It has several barns in disrepair and the stream is about 75 yards away and is dammed into a holding tank that comes with the property. It looks like it is several feet deep. I think that several acres worth of the stream are on this property. Once again more questions. The sad thing is that I would love to have this property as it is but my brain is saying sloooow down. For the record my brain hasn't always been correct. Just for the record.........

14. Oct 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    It's funny as my friend's who thought it was weird that I always have a few cases of water in my apartment and extra food are now starting to see the light as in the last 18 months Calgary has had 1 "state of emergency" from flooding and been a week without power. I should add both occasions I have been evacuated or put on state of alert to evacuate, getting really tired of leaving my place.

15. Oct 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Been busy but all this talk of generators that are quiet and fuel efficient brought me back to this thread.

One thing that many of you that grew up on farms might recall but have forgotten about are antique "hit & miss engines." These small engines were commonly mounted onto carts that could be moved around the property to run multiple types of implements allowing farmers to save money by not spending all their money on high dollar specialized equipment.

I currently am restoring a 1924 "Economy" model that runs on diesel, kerosene, and hopefully on WVO once I get it running. It's pretty big and while I will appreciate the additional power I really only need half of that. I'm looking at a smaller John Deere unit but in this part of the country anything that is green and yellow draws an additional premium so that search continues.

Quick and dirty "how it works" video found on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/YUE4KwOsAIw

An "Economy" like mine in working order.

http://youtu.be/UP8laDwgtcc

Just one of the many different types of machines that could be run off fo a "hit & miss" engine.

http://youtu.be/c88nTbjH0d8

16. Oct 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator
    What do you guys feel about having 10gal of fuel in the truck as a back at all times gas prices are low right now and I'm current getting around 450miles + with the 28 gals. Depending on the lead foot of mine...

I recent bought 2 jerry cans I love it less trips to the gas station but wondering if it's a hazard....

17. Oct 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    Depends on what kind of cans they are. Military style cans are pretty tough. You can also get a DOT approved remote fuel cell if you are worried about it. I use Roto-Pax myself. A lot of diesel guys around here have the ones built into the tool box.
    [​IMG]

18. Oct 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    Scalded_Dawg

Scalded_Dawg Not as new as my post count would appear

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stripped Steel and Sex Appeal
    Tacoma daily and 4Runner to play
    Those "Hit and Miss" engines are cool. Very informative videos too!

19. Oct 22, 2014 at 4:50 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    I'm from the country; we've still got all kinds of those H&M units kicking around at county fairs, and a lot of them still do work on smaller farms/homesteads. They're pretty neat and I'd like to have one someday, but (around here at least) they're pretty pricey. What do you run off of yours?

I keep my spare fuel in the garage. I don't have a truck cap on mine, so I don't want to keep an extra 10 gallons of fuel out there where any jackass can wander off with it. I generally try to keep a spare 25 gallons of gasoline on hand, and rotate it out every few months. I figure even if I'm not driving, my coleman stove and lantern are both dual fuel and can run on gasoline. I usually keep 10 gallons of diesel (for the tractor) on hand as well, but that stuff stores forever and the tractor's a real fuel sipper, so it's easier.
    Before they switched to ethanol gas I had a 50 gallon drum with a hand pump that I used, but the ethanol stuff doesn't store long enough for me to bother keeping that much on hand any more.

20. Oct 22, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Mine doesn't run at the moment as I'm still rebuilding it and being a bit of a nerd about it trying to get the correct parts but it was designed to run on diesel, kerosene, tractor fuel, and the like. My hopes are to be able to run it on WVO as well but time will tell.

Sadly they aren't cheap around here either, and dealing with many of the people that have them and their parts makes for an interesting event as they always have other amazing stuff around and lots of great stories to tell which means that I am guaranteed to lose a whole day as well as a bit more cash than I planned to them.

So far I have five pumps, of which three currently work, a saw, and a generator unit to run with mine once I get it running - not all at the same time - so as you can imagine I'm fairly anxious to get it finished. There are a few others that are already restored around here that are working already that I might make an offer on once I know how hard uncle sugar is going to hit me for his April cut.

One that I'm keen on is mounted onto the bed of an old Ford Model TT that has the vaporizer carburetor installed so that it can be switched over to kerosene once warmed up. He won't split the pair and I can't find anyone interested in the truck so I might use it as an excuse to finally build that new shop I've been threatening to add to the place.

Products Discussed in

To Top