1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Two weeks with an Android

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jsi, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Oct 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    jsi

jsi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    So my work is considering changing cell phone carriers from AT&T to T-Mobil. Since my team will take the brunt of that change I volunteered to go first. And, to add to the fun I decided to try out a Samsung Galaxy S5 after using an iPhone for the past couple of years.

After some getting used to how Android wants you to do things I've come to the conclusion that my advise to "pick an environment and stick with it" is still the best. Comparing iOS vs Android from a non-fanboy perspective and I can't see that much of a difference. Kind of like comparing Ford vs Chevy or PC vs Mac, people have strong preferences, but at their heart they are all cars, computers, or phones.

Comparing the Galaxy S5 my iPhone 5s I've pooh-poohed the big screens in the past, but I really liked it. I was afraid it wouldn't fit in my pocket but is wasn't an issue. The finger print reader is lame, and the power plug is clunky compared iPhone.

Since I get my phones for free from my work and I can pick whatever I want I'm going to go with the Apple 6 plus. Not that the Android isn't great, but I've bought a bunch of iPhone apps that I use daily and I don't want to buy them again.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I really like Android and I like the Google Nexus phones.

But, I own and use a iPhone 6.
    Apple won me over because of the integration of Touchid, ApplePay and iCloud. Those systems all work so well. Apps and systems seem to just work better on iOS devices, I almost never find any glitches or crashes.

Plus the camera on the iPhone 6 is really good (love slow motion) and the iPhone 6 looks great.

3. Oct 21, 2014 at 2:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Great perspective.....
    Once you've had the same operationg system/phone for many years, its hard to switch. With the apps, accessories, knowledge etc....that you've collected over the years....

I wouldn't be able to.....

And like DDD mentioned, Apple does a great job of everything syncing together between devices, entertainment systems, music systems, etc.

I think our only complaint is/was Airplay. We used it constantly. Every time itunes had an update, the airplay stopped working/syncing. My husband had to keep reverting back to old versions so it would work. We ended up buying a SONOS system.....which works sooooooooooooo much better!!!

4. Oct 21, 2014 at 3:14 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Good objective review.
    I am more of a Android fan, mostly for the fact that there is so much hype about Apple products, and I am not someone who wants to be part of the "in-crowd" just for the sake of being fancy.
    But, the rest of my family has iPhones, so it just made sense for me to get an iPhone too. It's more practical if we are all on the same platform.
    In the end they are all just phones, they are all equally smart, and they perform the same job. It's just personal preference.

5. Oct 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    My wife won a Sonos speaker from work. It's the lowest end one ($199 to buy), but even the basic one is awesome.

6. Oct 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm pretty much the same. I've always had Android but I don't begrudge anyone an iPhone. In the end, it's just a phone.

7. Oct 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I have the Galaxy Note 2. When I first bought it, it felt huge. But now everything else just looks tiny. If I bought an iPhone, it'd be the 6+.

8. Oct 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Wow...that's awesome!! I'd love to win one!! The system primarily plays out of our entertainment system, but we have one speaker that we carry around outside, downstairs, upstairs....etc. I think we'll probably buy a couple more speakers and we won't need to carry them around anymore.

Gotta love not needing to run speaker wires.....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  9. Oct 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    Mathen

Mathen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport DCSB
    I've owned both. I prefer the Android and recenty went back to one after > two years of carrying an iphone.

I have a galaxy S5, my oldest kid has an S4, but my wife and other two kids are all die hard iPhone fans.

There are a couple of things I liked better about the iPhone, but for me the android gets a little closer to the pin of being what I ultimately want my smart phone to do.

The level of vitriol between the die hard fans amuses me.

Products Discussed in

To Top