1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just bought an 03 Tacoma SR5 TRD!! 1st truck ever!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by salvi, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Oct 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    I've had cars my entire life, but finally yesterday I got my first truck.
    Truck is a red xtra cab v6. Has alot of miles, but bought it from original owner and all maintenance has been done.

From current driving, I've seen a couple things that need attention.

1. There is a weird sound at first startup coming from engine bay. Seller said that it was the accessory belt tensioner, that he did not replace. Anyone know if this is a trouble item?

2. The lights on the Auto shifter do not light up, guessing is just as easy as replacing the bulb?

3. When shifter/braking/etc I can see the Auto shifter moving slightly as if something was loose. Maybe a bad transmission mount?

4. I'm 5'4", so I have to almost jump into the truck, any solutions for better access into the cab?

Thanks.

2. Oct 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    1) ?

2) Yes, there is ONE clear bulb with a red, rubbery-plastic cover. You should remove the cupholders/console (if you have bucket seats) before removing the plastic cover over the shifter. Careful when you lift as there is a plug attached.

3) I have the same behaviour on my transmission and transfer case shifters. Things are just moving around as the engine/transmission is mounted on flexible mounts versus the body and everything.

4) Running boards, nerf bars, rock sliders, or "truck steps".

3. Oct 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    JasonLee, thanks for the quick reply.

1) The sound is like a bad bearing noise. He replaced all the accessory belts, but didn't replace the belt tensioner. The seller believed that was the issue.

2) I'll remove the plastic pieces and replace the bulb. Thanks.

3) I'll double check all the mounts just to make sure none of them need replacing.

4) Going to have to research each. Are you using any of the ones you mentioned?

4. Oct 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    FARNORCAL

FARNORCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma4x4 DC LB Silver TRD Sport
    SEE BUILD
    4) I had RBP step bars but I'm going to build my own sliders when i get all the materials. If the truck its a pain to get in i would just get step bars or "truck steps"

5. Oct 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    FARNORCAL

FARNORCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma4x4 DC LB Silver TRD Sport
    SEE BUILD
    WELCOME TO TW :D

6. Oct 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    Thanks for the info. Is there an area in this forum or elsewhere to see the difference of each?

7. Oct 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    1. AC belt tensionor bearing. Run it till you get tired of hearing it or it locks up. Then cut the AC belt and replace it when you need the ac again. It's squeaking on both of my rides.

2. Thanks Jason. Wifes 4 runner needs this. I'll get to it eventually. There is no need for her to remind me about it every 6 months.

3. Run it.

4 (the real reason I replied) Get a running start? :p

8. Oct 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    Karlow

Karlow Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    So CAL
    Vehicle:
    Box Stock 03 PreRunner
    none
    I have that same shifter thing on the truck that I picked up a month ago. I talked to another guy who buys and sales Tacomas all the time, he says they all do it, but I'm not sure. It sounds like bad mounts to me. These guys on this sight should know. Does your shifter handle move around when you drive. When you take off from a stop does the handle wiggle around?[​IMG]

Back in the day, I had a 63 Falcon with burned up mounts, It had a the shifter on the column. At every light the engine would rise up on the right mount, the shifter would move to the left as you took off. You could feel when the motor landed on the left mount thump thump thump. After about a dozen stops, I had to get under the hood and straighten the motor because it was liening too much to the right.[​IMG]

9. Oct 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    The shifter handle just moves forward and back with every stop/go and shift change. I'm guessing it might be a bad mount.

I also noticed that the low gas light is not coming on. It's at the low black line and the light has yet to come on.

10. Oct 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    My 2003 double cab came with running boards (non-Toyota, but dealer installed option) when I got it. I removed them after about a month.

I plan on getting some BAMF sliders in the next week or two when I get a chance to pick them up at his shop.

Oh, here is the bulb that you need (same as the glovebox and ashtray):
    [​IMG]

11. Oct 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    Going to remove the center console and replace that bulb. Not a big deal unless it's dark and I can't see which gear I'm selecting.

Is the AC belt tensioner a dealer only order or a parts store one suffice?

12. Oct 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    mustangstephen

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    My parts store one has been working for 60K+ I'd guess. :notsure: Been squeaking for a while though. I don't remember it being expensive.

13. Oct 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    So are you saying that the tensioner from the parts store has gone bad in your vehicle?

14. Oct 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Welcome to TW.

Not sure about the tensioner but if it's anything like the superchargers that are offered for our year I hear I have to replace it with a dynamic tensioner, cause the original static tensioners tend to slip.

My lights on my shifter don't work either, nor on the cluster gauge so I don't know what gear I'm in unless I look at the shifter/ honestly if you don't worry too much about it you'll get use to how many knocks you go down into drive/ reverse.

My shifter does the same thing, after accelerating from a stop it'll do a little jerk. I'm at almost 180k miles, it should be fine.

Depends on what you want to do with your truck. Rock sliders are the sturdiest and are appropriate if take your truck off roading. Running boards are crap and are only useful for driving around pavement, along with Nerf bars/ steps they won't provide any ground clearance nor protection.

15. Oct 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    The truck is just a daily driver, no offroad use.
    I just want something I can step on and be able to reach easily into the cab.

I found someone on CL selling the oem running boards, but it stated that it was for a 4 door. Will it fit the xtra cab?

16. Oct 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    Technically they will fit, but I'm not sure if you will be able to bolt them up without modification. Also, they will extend behind the cab, so it may look weird. I would recommend the "truck steps" for your case.

17. Oct 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    salvi

salvi [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    All stock
    Also noticed that the gas gauge might not be working properly. I filled the tank and it's only showing 3/4 full. That would explain why the low fuel light didn't come on even though the gauge was showing it was dead low.

18. Oct 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    mustangstephen

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    It's squeaking again yes. Is it bad? Not for me. I'll run it till it locks up. Belt is to easy to replace when it'll go 20k+ squeaking.

Products Discussed in

To Top