1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 22, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Gotcha. Finding period parts is a pain in the rectum. I had an old Case VAC tractor that you could start on gasoline and then switch to diesel, kerosene, heating oil, etc. once it was warmed up. It was a neat system, but it was a pain to get the right parts for when it needed servicing. I had to wait three weeks for a carburetor rebuild kit for it because the local tractor shop showed three part #'s and we had to flip a coin on which one to order (and of course the first two were wrong).

Are any of your pumps rated for potable water?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Oct 22, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    Pete0247

Pete0247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2007 BSP DCSB TRD Off Road
    5000K headlights, 3000K fogs, fog mod, 2014 LED tail lights with LED reverse lights, interior LED dome/map, and license plate lights, Pioneer radio, WeatherTech window visors, 20% tint, bed door locks, Mobil 1 synthetic fluids throughout
    Sub, great thread

3. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator
    I have the military metal jerry. I mounted them in the back of my camper, really secure, i went off roading and they didn't even move. I just heard that the fumes would cause problems, but i on occasion will up the back windows in the camper and release the cap can.

I have a short bed so putting one of those would be a real investment ha. thanks for the idea though.

[/QUOTE]I keep my spare fuel in the garage. I don't have a truck cap on mine, so I don't want to keep an extra 10 gallons of fuel out there where any jackass can wander off with it. I generally try to keep a spare 25 gallons of gasoline on hand, and rotate it out every few months. I figure even if I'm not driving, my coleman stove and lantern are both dual fuel and can run on gasoline. I usually keep 10 gallons of diesel (for the tractor) on hand as well, but that stuff stores forever and the tractor's a real fuel sipper, so it's easier.
    Before they switched to ethanol gas I had a 50 gallon drum with a hand pump that I used, but the ethanol stuff doesn't store long enough for me to bother keeping that much on hand any more.[/QUOTE]

see when i use to live in califonria I would keep stare fuel and carry my MSR stove with me at all times you never knew when a fire or earthquake my hit. Im in florida now and I'm pretty sure they have hurricane warnings lol :p:p but since I've moved into an apartment i don't have the luxury of keeping things in my garage. Im now seriously interested in buy a house now lol with some land.

4. Oct 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    At the moment, none of them are "rated" but two are well pumps that I've tested and they have excellent lift and wouldn't hesitate to use them if needed. A third is a general purpose which I can use for irrigation or for emergencies in clearing out flood water. The other two are effectively just spare parts and while I would like to see them operational I'd really like to sell/trade them for hand pumps or other useful equipment.

I'm working with a neighbor friend to restore a belt driven trip hammer for his home blacksmith shop and we are also working on a home built horizontal wood spliter but the dual vertical spliter shown in that video I linked earlier has me intrigued.

With that said, steering back to our trucks and the gas can discussion, I always carry two five gallon cans and when I go to fill the truck up I fill it off the cans first and then top the truck and the cans back off with the pump. I know this method doesn't suit those in a hurry but it keeps relatively fresh gas in the cans and on average I only spill about a cup each time. I also actively search out and use ethanol free pumps.

5. Oct 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Understood. I have a hand pump that I've rigged up in my cellar that was labeled that it isn't safe for potable water either, but I've submitted water I pumped from it to the local lab and they declared it perfectly safe for domestic use. Been using it for water whenever the power's out ever since then.

A guy at our local agricultural fair has one of those dual vertical splitters that he runs off of an old Allis Chalmers. Brings it in every year, sets it up, and splits his firewood for the year during fair week.

6. Oct 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator

I was thinking since i use up the 10 gals in the truck before filling up eventaully i can treat the gas i have stored up.. correct? those additives are good for gas and other fuels?

7. Oct 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Probably all you would need to do is to re-grease the pump with food grade grease or silicone.

A lot of things are now "non-approved" which didn't do most of us any harm. I think much if this is because companies have to be super-safe in today's litigious society on the off chance that one person with a severely compromised system will react adversely. In an emergency situation you can get by.

In the Army we had sort-of filters that would clean swamp water until you could barely see the brown then added sodium hypochlorite to the Lister bag to sterilize it. The resulting water was sort of like drinking from a swimming pool but it kept you alive and didn't kill you.

8. Oct 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    [/QUOTE]I keep my spare fuel in the garage. I don't have a truck cap on mine, so I don't want to keep an extra 10 gallons of fuel out there where any jackass can wander off with it. I generally try to keep a spare 25 gallons of gasoline on hand, and rotate it out every few months. I figure even if I'm not driving, my coleman stove and lantern are both dual fuel and can run on gasoline. I usually keep 10 gallons of diesel (for the tractor) on hand as well, but that stuff stores forever and the tractor's a real fuel sipper, so it's easier.
    Before they switched to ethanol gas I had a 50 gallon drum with a hand pump that I used, but the ethanol stuff doesn't store long enough for me to bother keeping that much on hand any more.[/QUOTE]

I installed two d ring loops, set the cans in, and run a chain trough them to keep douchebags from stealing them. Granted someone could cut the chain but if I had a topper they could also break a window.

I'll post pics later.

Also I bolted a 50cal ammo box to the factory rails for a toolbox.

9. Oct 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Exactly what I did. I bought new leathers for it, boiled them, and greased them with food grade silicone grease.
    Only downside is that since it's just a backup I tear it down whenever I do use it and regrease the leathers to make sure they don't dry out by the time I need the pump again. I've got a couple of spare sets as a just-in-case, but I'd rather not have to use them up faster than I have to.

10. Oct 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    Theloraxcross

Theloraxcross "He's Got the Crazy Eye"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    San Angelo Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD OR
    Well, decided against the land as the realtor could'nt get me any answers that I needed. The right place will come up eventually.

11. Oct 23, 2014 at 4:27 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Sorry to hear that. You're right, though. Eventually the right place will show up.
    I can't even count how many places we looked at when we were shopping for a house or land to build one on. Patience is key; I've got a couple of friends who are stuck with problems because they didn't do the research before they signed on the dotted line.

12. Oct 23, 2014 at 4:31 AM
    Theloraxcross

Theloraxcross "He's Got the Crazy Eye"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    San Angelo Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD OR
    Thanks for the support. I mean that. I had it in my mind that if the land doesn't convince that thats where I need to be than I would listen.

13. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    TRD2013Chris

TRD2013Chris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport Dbl Cab Long bed
    I have build in flame thrower in the bed the my truck!

14. Oct 23, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Hopefully your flamethrower building skills exceed your sentence building skills.
    :D

15. Oct 23, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    TRD2013Chris

TRD2013Chris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport Dbl Cab Long bed
    LMAO i was asking for that ONE! Well I burred myself with it and lost one eye and can hardly see out of one eye!

16. Oct 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Smart move--- get your technicians license than get your general license and you're good to go KD0JXB---Jim

17. Oct 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    Not sure if it has been covered yet, but in a pinch, the rubber bed mat could be used for shelter creation.

18. Oct 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    0mechanicalskills

0mechanicalskills Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Ocean Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5, work in progress
    K&N Filter, 5100's on all 4 corners
    This thread is why I joined TW. Just starting this mission. Like you OP, not an end of the world prepper, just a guy who would like to be a little more self sufficient than the rest. I am going to borrow some of your ideas and be sure I have better emergency provisions. Any suggestions for someone, just starting? What would you ensure you had first?

19. Oct 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    I've got MREs, heat blankets, fire starters, medical supplies, machete, ammo, saws, axe, knives, water, and an emergency tool kit in my truck.
    Edit: Also installed a CB in my truck for when cell service goes down.

20. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    mad monk

mad monk Well-Known Member

Member:
    mid atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SR5 DCLB
    basics - westin nerf bars, extang tonno audio - JVC HU w/ axxess interface mod misc - screen cover for cabin air intake. Weathertech floor mats front & rear.
    so what's involved with getting a ham license and what it cost to get a basic ham radio setup?

Products Discussed in

To Top