1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate Lift Assist Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Snoranger, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    Snoranger

Snoranger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2012 TX Pro
    Philips LED Headlights PIAA Xtreme White Fogs Block Heater 30% Tint Decals Removed
    2012 Double Cab

I got a tailgate lift assist, which by the instructions are super simple to install. I was good to go until the last step; taking off the tailgate bolt. I cannot seem to get it off for love or money. It looks like it's either serrated or tack welded on. I've included two pictures. Has anyone else come across this problem? If so, how the hell did you get that off?! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

20141023_170504[2].jpg
    20141023_170521[1].jpg

2. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    Yes happened to me... Let me find the thread

3. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
  4. Oct 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Long story short I stripped mine and then had to drill it out. Found a tapered bolt that fit and put a nut and lock washer on it on the inside of the tailgate. Was a pain in the dick!

5. Oct 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I put one on my gate too. I had to 'shock' the bolt to break the bond by hammering the torx bit into the bolt a few times.... It loosened normally after that.

Make sure you use the correct size torx bit, some can seem to fit well, but can be one size smaller than required.

Products Discussed in

To Top