1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC Condensate drain ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JoeN 267, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Aug 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah he's saying to get the 5/8 ID so that you can slip it over the stock one....

2. Aug 14, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Sorry, I thought he was attaching it with a barbed fitting and extending it that way... I scrolled down on my phone and was looking at someone elses pictures.

3. Aug 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only failure I could see the dealership not covering would be if the drain hose became clogged and water dripped on your carpet, due to the additional drain hose.

Nothing else in the A/C system could possibly be affected by a short extension of the drain hose.

4. Dec 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    So I just checked my frame below the AC drain and it's completely rust-free. My truck was bought new in FEB '06 and has spent its entire life in two of the most humid states in this blessed (tear rolling down my cheek) country - Alabama and Louisiana. It's always been parked in my garage when not in use, however, so that might make a bit of a difference. I'll probably not bother with this mod since it's been almost seven years and there's no sign of any trouble.

5. Dec 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I found a section of garden hose that was a perfect fit and used a hose clamp to secure...
    [​IMG]

where it drains out under the truck i used wire mesh to keep critters out...
    [​IMG]

BlackTaco22 and devkurf like this.
  6. Aug 1, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    going to be doing this mod very soon. would like to find a better spot to route the hose tho

7. Aug 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM
    magnum922

magnum922 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4.0 tow pkg 4x4
    The hose from the truck is 5/8. I did not have any luck connecting to it since it is so thin and soft. You cant clamp on it. I used a 3/4 heater hose and tied it to the frame holes, then put the 5/8 inside it. Did this last year and it still works perfect.

8. Aug 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    The method I used was a 3 foot length of 3/8 fuel line. Almost the same inner diameter as the hose coming from the truck, I used a 2 inch length of copper wrapped in stainless pipe so that I could clamp down on the hoses, then used some normal sized zip ties to secure it to the frame holes in the fender well , then used a massive zip tie around the frame to lightly secure the hose to the side of the frame to keep it away from the exhaust, then used another hose clamp and zip tie to secure it to the metal portion of the passenger size Y pipe exhaust hanger, so far its workin good *knock on wood* lol :)

9. Aug 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I hate this friggin' web site ... I see things and think "I can/gonna/wanna do that." Sooooo ... having said that I did this today ... 5/8" id tubing ... tie wrapped to cable directly below it ... ran it to the cross member ... in through a top hole ... feed it to I believe the middle lower hole on the aforementioned cross member ... left approximately 1.27" sticking out ... no, I do not have photos and/or a writeup ... just skinned knuckles and scraped wrists and forearms.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  10. Aug 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    C.Blackfoot

C.Blackfoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did this mod awhile back. I was tired of seeing my frame coated with water deposits. Easy to do too.

11. Aug 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Here's what I did. I just inserted some tubing into the drain hose, securing it with a hose clamp, and ran it down to the side of the frame rail. It no longer drips on anything.

[​IMG]

12. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It's not like the frame gets wet when it rains and shit...[​IMG]

13. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    weezer

weezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    southeast
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, OME lifting springs, Ivan Stewart 16x8 wheels, AT tires
    hot enough for a/c then hot enough to evaporate the condensation before it causes rust issues.

14. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    The only rust on my entire frame is from that condensation drain, it is constant daily dripping on the exact same spot and it gets inside that boxed portion of the frame where you can't reach it to repair it.

15. Aug 8, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Wrong

16. Oct 26, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I found some plastic tubing used for drip irrigation in the yard, and the ID is 5/8", which was perfect for slipping over the tubing coming out of the firewall, pretty snugly. I ran that down through the cross member and out next to where the lower control arm frame mount is. I then used zip ties to secure the tubing, one around and through the cross member, and one on the bracket where the wiring is attached just below where the tubing exits the firewall. It seems very secure.

17. Oct 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    I ran mine through the existing holes on the pass-side, lCA mount. There is zero heat exposure from a hot exhaust or anything for it to get cought on either. I also didn't use any kind of zip tie or tie down, it just hangs there and works perfectly.

Drain2_zpsd1374373_a3b1ec74066f0713b2ee0ca5afdc122c2a724155.jpg

Drain1_zps3bb7e0b2_626e2fb6a73eb2f6b4222a9f14c70df3e0bece42.jpg

Dusty wallet likes this.
  18. Oct 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    That's the exact place I ran mine out, also, it just seemed obvious to use that. I simply used zip ties to secure the tubing in case a bump or something might jar it loose.

19. Apr 19, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Hi Gents!

So lately when I get in my truck there's kind of a weird funky smell and the air inside the cab is damp. I haven't noticed any water on the carpeting or anything like that. But could this hose be plugged (or partially) and that's causing the cab to be so humid?

Thanks!

20. Apr 19, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Do you mean the oem drain hose, or an extension that you added possibly getting plugged?

Products Discussed in

To Top