1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Unchained 5150, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Oct 27, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 [OP] Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    So what are people using nowadays for replacement headlight bulbs. I used to use the Sylvania bulbs, and Piaa but they never lasted. Looking for something brighter for both the fog and headlight

2. Oct 27, 2014 at 5:50 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I've been using Sylvanias without issues.

3. Oct 27, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 [OP] Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    They just had some lawsuit, and people were supposed to get like 10.00 or something in the mail

4. Oct 27, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Haven't read about it. The output is better than my retros were.

5. Oct 27, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Not sure if it's still true or not, but OSRAM/Sylvania are supposed to be the same company, but OSRAM bulbs were made to better specs. I have an OSRAM bulb in my motorcycle that has been working now for 4 years.

6. Oct 27, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    Mizzouborn

Mizzouborn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma PreRunner
    Thorley Headers Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 40s Bilstein Shocks/Struts K&N Air Filter
    I bought these from AutoAnything and am very happy (lifetime warranty to boot): Vision X Superwhite Headlight Bulbs

7. Oct 27, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 [OP] Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    What do Tacoma's have 9004's in the headlights for the Sylvania's? And what number for the fogs. I like them both to be as bright as the other

8. Oct 27, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    pikehk01

pikehk01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4x4
    95% positive but my fogs are H10's

9. Oct 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    2012's and newer use H4 bulbs for the headlights and H11 bulbs for the fog lights.

10. Oct 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Get some good projectors

11. Oct 28, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    pikehk01

pikehk01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 4x4
    sorry forgot to mention that I have a 2011

12. Oct 28, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    hanrock

hanrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    sask
    Vehicle:
    2012 nauticle blue dc lb
    check out daniel stern lighting he has the osram bulbs and others, tell him your needs and he will help you out. good to deal with and prices were reasonable.

13. Oct 28, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    BriteAssLEDs

BriteAssLEDs Active Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    We have had several Tacoma owners purchase our LED headlight kits recently. They are brighter (3,200 lumens per bulb) and whiter than HIDs and they have high/low beam functionality so they won't blind oncoming traffic with low beams on. Here's a review from a Tacoma owner:

"I recently saw a F-250, and after speaking with the owner I learned they were Brite Ass LEDs. I have had CanBus 6k HIDs in all my vehicles. They have all been top of the line HIDs, after seeing these headlights across the parking lot, I discovered that they have absolutely nothing on a high quality LED light fixture. The clarity in the beams, as well as consistency in the optical field is impeccable. I have a vast array of fixtures, and these LEDs take the names over all others. I highly recommend these lights. You won't regret it,"

Also, I attached a photo I received of a customer's Tacoma.

The website is http://www.briteassleds.com

1288.jpg

14. Oct 28, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    Yall's logo cracks me up. Looking to see more reviews on your products.

15. Oct 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    BriteAssLEDs

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    We completely understand. This is a brand new product that uses a brand new generation of LED technology. These bulbs are actually custom manufactured by CREE for this particular application. If anybody on this forum orders a set for their Toyota and is not completely satisfied for any reason, we will allow the lights to be returned for a full refund within 7 days with no questions asked.

16. Oct 29, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    PGHquinn

PGHquinn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    McMurray, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011DBLcab
    LED bed light strips Smittybuilt step bars Avid offroad light bar Grillcraft mesh grill Fold a cover g4 bed cover Pro Comp 7063 Bilstein 5100's front @ 1.75" Bilstein 5100 rear Toytec progressive AAL
    Do have installation instructions? Looking at your website & bulb for my 2011, there is a 3 prong plug which is confusing.

17. Oct 29, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    My main question is about the ones like the H4 that are highs and lows. I noticed there are led's on each side. One for low and both for high? Does each led put out 3200+ lumens? So when you have your high beams on it's putting out a combined 6400 lumens from one bulb or are the lows 1600 lumens and when combined with the highs it's 3200 lumens?

Also, if it is putting out 6400 lumens from one bulb during high beam, are the ballasts and cooling apparatus (excuse me if those are not the right terms) rated for that? The ballasts and cooling pieces look like they are the same for every bulb type, but most applications are single led's. Since the H4 has 2, I wanted to make sure that the components that come with it are rated for it.

By the way, are you guys looking to become official vendors?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  18. Oct 29, 2014 at 6:59 AM
    BriteAssLEDs

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Installation instructions come with the kits, but they are very easy to install. Your factory bulbs have the 3 prong plug. The Brite Ass Lights kits plug directly into that, so there is no wiring or splicing required. The other two wires that come out of the power supply power the fan and control the high/low function. We have installed these in 3 Tacomas in the last week and installation takes less than 10 minutes.

That is correct. With the low beams on, only one of the LED bulbs burns. With the highs on, they both burn simultaneously. The distribution for the high and low beams is perfect. The low beams are very very bright, but distributed so that they don't blind oncoming traffic. The high beams, well, a different story :D

Each LED does put out 3200 lumens; however, lumens is a measure of light intensity (brightness) and is not a measure of total light output. The brightness is 3200 lumens whether you are running low or high beams. I hope that makes sense.

These bulbs do not have ballasts. The small box is simply a power supply and control module. Ballasts are used to control the current for fluorescent and HID bulbs and have a very high failure rate in automotive HID lighting.
    To answer your cooling question, the entire area between the bulb and the fan is made of aluminum and copper. When the bulbs are turned on, even with the high beams burning, they will never get any hotter than your stock halogen bulbs. There is also a temperature sensor in each light that will automatically shut off the circuit if it becomes overheated for any reason (which we have never seen happen).
    Also, the entire assembly is IP67 rated, which means that it can be completely submersed in water up to 1 meter. This includes everything in the kit (power supply, fan, bulb).
    I hope this answered your questions. If not, let me know and I will provide more detail.

I will end by saying that these lights look absolutely incredible in Tacomas. The color, beam focus, and light output are incredible. That's why I am confident in saying that if anyone on this forum orders a set and is not 100% satisfied I will take them back within 7 days and give a full refund. I will even pay return shipping. There is really no other way to describe these without seeing them in person. I promise you will be amazed at the difference.

Absolutely! PM me the details.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  19. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    Thanks for the answers.. I drive a 4Runner (same H4 bulbs as some of the tacomas, different housings). I might ditch my troublesome HID's for a set of these sooner than later.

When these kind of kits first started coming out I always thought that LED replacements weren't advanced enough to ever be a good solution for halogen housings. I still don't think most out there are. However, it seems that companies, like yourselves, are finally putting in the man hours to make a good product that produces a solid, even light output.

As far as the vendor stuff, I'm not the guy to talk to haha but looking forward to your stay here.

20. Oct 29, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    BriteAssLEDs

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have seen the other cheap chinese LED kits and the difference between theirs and ours is night and day (no pun intended). These are the real deal. Honestly, it's been tough to market them outside of our local area because of the bad reputation from the cheap kits. They are very easy to sell around here because as soon as people see them in person they want a set :)
    That's why we are offering the 7 day trial period. We want you to be able to see their performance in person with peace of mind knowing that if you are disappointed (which you won't be), you can get your money back.

Products Discussed in

To Top