1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Silver Sky Metallic Paint & A.R.E. Caps

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by labs4me, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sep 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    labs4me

labs4me [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guys,

Consider this to be a FYI thread about A.R.E. caps and the 2014 Tacoma paint color "Silver Sky Metallic".

After considerable research and consideration, yesterday, I placed an order for an A.R.E. X-series cap for my DCSB Limited.

After helping me choose my options, the A.R.E. retailer went out to my truck to copy down the paint code number and the VIN. When he returned and started entering info into his computer, I heard him say, "Huh?", to which I replied, "Huh, what?" The retailer then proceeded to tell me that according to A.R.E., the only way that A.R.E. would guaranteed that my cap's paint would match the Silver Sky Metallic color of my truck was if I sent A.R.E. the door that covers my gas gap.

I expressed that that seemed odd. He said, that because Silver Sky Metallic was such a difficult color to duplicate, that the best way to ensure a close match was to send in my fuel filler door. So I informed him that although I was not pleased about that, I would honor the request because I definitely wanted the cap's paint to match my truck.

So together we went outside to remove the gas cap door and, much to my dismay, we discovered that there is not a way to remove the door without drilling out factory rivets that hold the door in place.

So I said, "time out- I'm not comfortable taking a drill to my new truck". This is Michigan after all, the road salt capital of planet Earth.

Long story made short I did end up placing the order for the cap. Hopefully A.R.E. will be able to closely replicate the color of my truck, but if they don't, basically I'm screwed.

I just wanted to share this information with anyone considering an A.R.E. cap and specifically with any of my Tacoma brothers who own a Silver Sky Metallic Tacoma.

I'll let you know how this unfolds. I'm told my cap should arrive within 2-3 weeks.

Peace and out,

-Labs

I married my tacoma likes this.
  2. Sep 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    Hmmmm, what a drag. No way would I have drilled either.

I wonder if LEER/SnugTop has the same issues with that particular color.

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    That's the way it's done sometimes, unfortunately. I'd get the fuel cap to them asap. ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. Sep 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    12oreo

12oreo New Member

Member:
    I have a new 2014 silver sky Tundra and just bought an ARE silver sky cap and the colors do not match. The cap is a darker tint. A good local paint shop says it is about two shades off. I am waiting for the ARE field rep to show up at the dealer to take a look this month. I contacted ARE at the factory when I first recieved the cap and a rep there told me that ARE has a long history with this paint code and the match should be good.

Will wait and see.

5. Sep 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Metallics tend to make color matching difficult. When I bought the paint for my cap the paint guy came out with about 5 different color variations for Barcelona Red that the factory could have used. And then when it is matched it has to be applied correctly so that the metallic doesn't get buried. This is where I screwed the pooch.

6. Sep 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    2014 TRD Sport, Silver Sky.
    Leer 100XR

Leer dealer looked at the code, took my $400 deposit, and said I'll see you in a couple of weeks...No color issue. I have been told by a body shop, silver is difficult to match. Perhaps I got lucky. Or, now I'll start to notice shade differences in my cap:)

20140908_120112_zps7jbi3umu_2c97208be2491360c24f67160df339976eaa4ca8.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. Oct 31, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    Taco14ID

Taco14ID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4 Silver Sky Leer 100R BedRug
    Factory Tow Package, Leer 100R, full BedRug
    I got a very good match to my Silver Sky Metallic with this Leer 100R ordered by paint code and VIN.
    Total with tax, shipping, installation and 3 options below: $1640.00. Took 3 1/2 weeks from the factory to Boise, Idaho.
    The three options: A 12V triple outlet, drop down one-piece front window and a 12V LED interior light. (base on the Leer 100R is $1350.00)

Note that I first bought a used cap that was the lighter 2012 silver (silver streak?) Stood out like a sore thumb... so, I sold it at a small loss and ordered new. Glad I did!

Only other thing I'm adding is larger Nitto Grappler R16's on the stock steel wheels. I had alloys on my 2003 DCSB but with this base SR5, I wound up liking the stock steel wheels better that are a perfect match to the silver sky; just needs bigger tires...

2014-10-31 022 (1024x647).jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. Jun 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    OCD

OCD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '15 4WD TRD DCLB SSM
    Apparently like all their colors, there are many Silver Sky Metallic (color code 1D6) variants that Toyota uses, or has used. I learned this when I visited an automotive paint supplier. I was there to get a spray can of touch up paint to color match my 2015 grille badge. They had ten PPG brand automotive code 1D6 color chips to compare to my vehicle before ordering paint. When looking at the chips fanned out in my hand, they all looked identical; but when I laid them down on the hood, I could see there were definite shade differences. I chose the variant that, to my eye, in sunlight, was the best match. I bought the paint, went home and painted the badge. I was disappointed with the match, until I applied the clear coat I had bought at the same time as the 1D6 paint. Once the clear coat dried, the variant I chose was a PERFECT match to the truck.

I have a new Snugtop shell on order for my truck, and (like A.R.E. above) the manufacturer has agreed it would be a good idea to send them my gas tank door, so they can use it for reference and have the best chance of a good color match between shell and truck. Turns out, I was told, without a part for reference they use "the most common" variant. That common variant may or may not match your vehicle.

The point is, your vehicle paint name and/or color code off the driver's door jamb tag isn't going to be enough to assure an acceptable match, at least not if you're OCD like me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top