1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Attempt to stop the Frame Rust!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgord, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Nov 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    mgord

mgord [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    K&N, Leaf Springs, Home Built Camper
    Bought 2 cans of Eastmans Rust Encapsulator. Starting from the rear I used 2 cans in and around the rear. Seems to cover nicely. Clogged a bit but kept at it and used up both cans. A bit pricey at $22 per can.

Started trying to use a wheel sander but quickly determined that wasn't going to get into any of the smaller places. Went to a brass brush and finally gave that up and just used the air compressor with a small tip to blast the loose pieces of rust away.

Hopefully this will stop or at least put off the rust for a while. Will continue forward in the coming few weeks.

Lowered the rear spare and painted.
    [​IMG]

Side
    [​IMG]

Where I stopped painting for today.
    [​IMG]

Unpainted portion (toward front).
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    At least you started early. That frame is still salvageable. Thank toyota for the crap coating they put on the frame for the last 20 years.

The best tool is a needle scaler and a knotted wire wheel on a angle grinder.

Need to route your AC drain to somewhere besides the frame and also plug up the front boxed portion of the frame.

90% of the frames are rotting out in the boxed section near the cat on the left and right.

Crom likes this.
  3. Nov 2, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Eastwood rust encapsulator is good stuff. I've used it on a number of restorations I've done over the years. But the spray can stuff isn't very durable. I used it on a Tacoma I had a few years back and even scuffing the frame down and using prep sol it was pretty much all gone by spring. The brush-on stuff works a lot better. And the rubberized version they have now really doesn't hold up at all on a frame. Used that on a crusty 96 a few years back and it was ALL gone in about 2 months of winter driving. Frame-specific stuff works better. I used a KB coatings chassis saver kit on my current truck last fall and it looked great come spring. Of course Toyota just slathered their undercoating all over it underneath a few weeks ago anyhow.

4. Nov 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    mgord

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Thanks for the info on the paint.

Is this the paint you are referring to?

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

I'm trying to get ahead of the rust before it gets to bad. I've noticed that the rust is not just a Toyota issue. Most trucks look like crap after a few years. Seems to be centered around a Dana frame.

If that is the paint I'll continue with the rest of the frame and see which holds up. Sort of a real world test.

5. Nov 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I live in the northeast, and have undercoated my 09 with a Krown type product since new, prior to the arrival of each winter.

To me, I wanted to avoid sanding original paint from the frame based on dumb logic alone, and was looking for a product this year to convert the rust with only cleaning the heck out of it as a prep. I tried a product from Home Depot called Corroseal, which I had to order on-line and pick-up at the store. Amazed at how well it worked. The seams with some rusting look smooth and freshly painted after the stuff cured 24 hours later.

Couldn't be happier with the results, after having done this 4-5 days ago, and will now get the usual Krown treatment sometime this week.

Really suggest trying this stuff as a converter. I think I paid 22 for the smaller bottle and used less than a 1/3 of it to hit any where needed, and I am pretty much shocked at how well it works.

6. Nov 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    mgord

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Thanks for the info.

Never heard of it. Anyone else?

I did a lot of research so I'm glad for all the input and recommendations of products.

In the end I know it won't cure rust but just trying to slow it down as much as possible.

I'm also coming to the conclusion this is going to be a yearly thing....

7. Nov 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I've used POR15 in past restorations with great results. Brushed it on with a disposable chip brush.

8. Nov 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    The chassis saver stuff I used was from a company called KB coatings. I bought it at Summit. The 3 part kit was like $60. I actually bought it for that 96 but wound up selling it before I used it so I wound up using it on the 05. My first 05 that I bought new looked like complete crap by 07. In 08 I wire wheeled all the accessible parts of the frame, needle gunned it, and painted it with rust bullet. That held up pretty good. I'll bet that truck has a new frame under it now though.

9. Nov 8, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    mgord

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Continuing my quest to stop the frame rust.

3 more cans and 3 more hours under the truck. Sanded off the rust I could get to and used an air hose with a high pressure tip to get the loose stuff off where I couldn't get with the sander.

I think I'll need 2 more cans for the front portion. I'll do that in the next couple of weeks.

I paid special attention to the frame next to the cat. And yes there was more rust and even "peeling" there. I took off the peeling portion and made sure it got 2 very heavy coats.

Before being painted outside frame:
    [​IMG]

Inside frame before being painted:
    [​IMG]

Outside frame looking good:
    [​IMG]

Inside frame painted:
    [​IMG]

Where I stopped for today:
    [​IMG]

spinglow likes this.
  10. Nov 8, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    This is proof that one man and a rattle can can do a far better job than the dealer!

I should have done this instead of the silly crc campaign.

11. Nov 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Sheesh, that frame looks nasty. It's a crying shame Toyota still can't get a handle on that problem. They dont use salt where I live. They drop rock on the road ensuring the fact that you will break a windshield every two years and get paint nicks all over the hood and roof.

12. Nov 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    mgord

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Ordered 3 more cans of Eastwood's rubberized rust protector on Sunday and they arrived yesterday. Just in time for the East coast storm and all the salt that comes with it.

I also got my letter today from Toyota on the Corrosion-Resistant Compound - Limited Service Campaign. Going to throw the letter out since I've already started my own Corrosion Resistant Campaign.

Curious - has anyone had this done and does it work? I've heard mixed results but would like to know your opinions?

Keep in mind this is a 07 V6 TRD double cab manual.

I've done a lot of research on the rust. If looked at fluid film and Amsoil's product (cant' remember the name). Both of those seem to work before rust. Mixed reviews but mostly positive on Eastwood's rubberized rust protector.

I'll let you know after this winter how much comes back. I'm under no illusion that this will be a yearly application. Hopefully only a can or 2 instead of the 8 I've used so far.

Anyway before and after pictures below of the front. Middle and back have already been done. Anything that looked like rust got a good 2 coats. Sanded as much as I could and used an air compressor with a small tip on the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

REALLY!!!
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Nov 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Chux

Chux Pura Vida

Member:
    NJ beaches
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O/R Beach Buggy
    Click on my Build
    Subs. I'll be needing this info

14. Nov 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Noticed the overspray on the steering rack boot. I hope the stuff is safe on rubber. ;)

15. Nov 30, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    jamtoz

jamtoz frog

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    trd sport DCLB 4x4 2014
    Duratracs, SCS sr8's, debadged
    Subd. I'll also be needing this info in te near future.

16. Nov 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    Every time I see these threads or look under my truck it still amazes me Toyota didn't learn from their mistakes with the 1st Gen Tacomas. Even though I don't live in the NE, I sprayed my frame with under coating after I got it back in '06.

17. Dec 1, 2014 at 4:11 AM
    mgord

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Your right I did expect more from Toyota.

To be honest this is the first time I've worked (done maintenance) on the truck since I bought it in 07. It has 90K on it now. I replaced the brakes at 60K.

Not that this is an excuse - but all other brands of trucks from the same era and before have the same affliction of rust. I've made a note of looking under other trucks (chevy, dodge, ford) and all are just as rusty. Remember I live in PA where salt is king during the winter.

I've replaced a wheel bearing recently and my throwout bearing is chirping away. I plan to replace my clutch with URD's stage 2 and their throwout bearing (and there fix for it as well) in the next couple of months.

That being said - I've owned about 35 cars/trucks over the years and the Toyota is the most reliable (and fun) I've owned. Albeit the taste is not as sweet with the rust issue.

18. Dec 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I've found, in CT at least, that the rust grows alot faster now that they use the liquid de-icer versus the older rock salt/sand mixture that used to be put on the roads and was stopped a few years ago.

19. May 1, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    mgord

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Sigh....

Took my truck for inspection (PA has them yearly) and it failed due to a hole in the frame.

Bobby Rahal is putting in for a frame replacement. Should take 2-3 months.

On the up side they have a new Tacoma that will be my loaner during the next few months.

Bummed that I'm not going to see if my painting the frame is going to work. I guess it was to far gone by the time I got to it last year.

I'll keep you guys posted.

20. Nov 12, 2015 at 4:08 AM
    mgord

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    OK guys - they are starting work on the frame replacement today.

I've been racking my brain and searching on things to do while the frame is off. The only thing I've come up with is to have the tires re-balanced. The clutch was replaced a few thousand miles ago.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Products Discussed in

To Top