1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Read shock relocation?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by hard2kill, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    Who makes 05+ Tacoma rear shock buckets/hoops/brackets? I have 10in travel icons with Allpro 4in expo packs which was ok till I did my shackle flip now I need a 13in travel to take advantage of my new found droop...I know BAMF has buckets made but I don't want to run rear spacers my truck is very wide as is..

2. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    With any towers or hoops that place your shock outboard of the frame and raise them up you will have to run spacers.

3. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    Several people I know have Inboarded there rear shocks ... I run a 17x10 rim with a -24mm offset so there not tight to shock at all if a hoop or bucket hugged the frame closely I think I would clear ok

4. Nov 1, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    You can't inboard them properly without cutting through the bed, if you angle the shocks like this / to fit them under the bed it kills the effectiveness of the shock. A 24mm offset you are still going to hit the shock body before full stuff. Grab a 2" cardboard tube or a 2" PVC pipe and go flex your truck to full stuff and then try to insert the tube and you will see the problem =when you build a hoop you will see that the wheel tubs of the bed angle out toward the outside of the truck so the top of your shock hoop will be flush against the tub but the bottoms of the hoop will stand off the frame a bit and as a result your shock body will be off the frame quite a bit ?..hope that makes sense basically your shock will not be tucked against the frame like it is stock. Trust me I know from recent personal experience. ( see photo )

image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  5. Nov 2, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    That's a very nice setup you have how big of a wheelspacers are you running to clear shock at full stuff? Did u custom build yours?

6. Nov 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    1 1/4" spacers but I am considering just swapping the axle for a tundra or similar to gain the width and disc brakes. The rear hoops were built by Dirt King here in San Diego. Here is a better idea of the shape and size of the hoop :

Edit : I have around 6" of lift and those are 14" shocks

image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  7. Nov 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    Nice I'm at about 4-5in of rear lift

8. Nov 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top