1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UCA question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TCprerunner, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Nov 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had never noticed that camburg had ball joint uca's and had a few questions that I either could not find the answer or just missed it. Anyways any help would be great.

Said uca Questions are.

1) it says they adjust the bj angle to keep it in normal operating ranges ? Are they just implying that you are gaining more travel and it is less likely to be a limiting factor due to the adjusted angle? Or is it referring to helping with alignments? Or am I dumb and it all ties in and is the same thing?

2) if I went with a UCA like this is there uni-balls that would press In or would I need another UCA if I wanted to end up upgrading down the road?

3) pros and con's of light racing vs camburg bj UCA camburg is cheaper when re using factory bj (mine are fine and low miles so not a issue) so is there any reason I would go with the light racing over camburg or the other way around? The big one I see that has to do with my other questions is if the camburg will accept a uni-ball.

Any help would be great thanks!

2. Nov 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    HectoRome

HectoRome Playing Scientist In The PNW

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road Debadged, Icon Stuffs, MaxTrac Spindles, Dirt King LCAs, Archive Garage Shackle Flip
    59926P ICON 2.5 Remote Reservoir Front Coil Over Shocks 56103 Icon Rear Hydraulic Bump Stop Kit K53163 Icon RXT Leaf Springs Kit 58730 Icon 2.5 Front Remote Reservoir Coil overs 59926P Icon 2.5 RXT OMEGA Remote Reservoir By-Pass Shocks 58550 Icon Billet Aluminum Upper Control Arms Dirt King Steel Lower Control, 1” Uni-ball Joints Archive Garage Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Flip Kit TRD Cat Back Exhaust TRD High Flow Air Filter Kenwood Receiver + JL Audio Speakers Extended Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines Electronic Locking Rear Differential Rigid LED Driving Lights LED Bar in Bumper Top Windshield LED Bar Custom TACOMA Raptor Grill w/ LED Running Lights METHOD Standard Matte Black Wheels
    1. Just like any after market UCA, where the UCA attaches to the spindle the angle is different from factory due to the altered ride height resulting from a other than factory lift. After a lift any UCA resides lower, the factory UCA is not designed for and does not take into account the altered height so the angle ( Now being lower due to the lift ) is more toward the end of its operational parameters. At the end of its travel it will tend to bind ( particularly in the full droop ). The altered angle on an after market UCA allows the BJ or Uni-Ball to remain in the middle of its operating parameters thus avoiding binding. This also allows for less adjustment required to keep the tires aligned for proper contact patch to the road.

2. With Ball Joint UCAs it is Not Possible to swap out Ball Joints for Uni-Balls due to physical reasons. The design between the 2 does not make them compatible. Once you choose a configuration you are married to it. So it is best to decide what application is best for you. Generally if one is to upgrade later to Uni-Ball then it would be best to choose Uni-Ball from the beginning as all manufactures incorporate a rebuild able / replaceable Uni-Balls. So if it were to be several years later when the suspension is to be upgraded one would simply install new Uni-Ball assemblies.

3. This is personal preference here on which product to choose. Beware at the end of the day this is still a Ball Joint design ( and for many, 90% or more all that is really required ). If a stronger design and more range of articulation is required then Uni-Ball would be the choice. Range of motion from Ball Joint in comparison to Uni-Ball is ( depending on the Ball Joint ) 15% to 20% less.

Hope this helps . . .

3. Nov 7, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yup it did thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top