1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poor radio reception fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kiteman78, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jun 20, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    kiteman78

kiteman78 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys,
    Just wanted to pass on my experience with radio reception in case it helps someone else out. I have an 05 that wouldn't get anything except the two strongest local stations.
    The problem was the antenna base. It had corroded internally to the point that there was no antenna connection. Replaced the base and have stellar reception.
    I had to cut the old one off as it was corroded way beyond being able to get it apart with the little castle nut that is made of cheese.
    To troubleshoot this, if you pull the passenger side pillar trim by the windshield which is super easy, you'll find a connection in the antenna line. Pull that apart and put a piece of wire in the deck side of the connection. If you all of the sudden have great reception, your problem is the antenna base.
    Hope this helps someone else as I couldn't find any other posts solving this problem.
    Cheers,
    Jesse

2. Jun 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    Don't have a problem, but thanks for sharing your fix. It's always nice to have these unique problems and solutions documented.

3. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    OzzyRules

OzzyRules New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzman
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I would like to thank Kiteman78 for getting me out of this bind as my girlfriend's '06 Tacoma developed the same problem. This was so crazy I had to post to this website. It is EXACTLY as Kiteman78 says (do his test first, very easy). Her antenna mast was fine but the base was corroded like you wouldn't believe! You won't see it until you start grinding it off. That's right...I said GRINDING! Don't even think this is a 15 min job because it's not. It took ALL F'N DAY!!!! I'll try and keep it short. Take the mast off with a wrench. That should come off easy. Then the castle nut. The castle nut will be corroded to the base. You will NOT get it off without chiseling it out. I tried snap ring pliers, vise grips...no way. Then you think the rubber base will come off? Nope. It is corroded to the antenna base itself. I had to grind down with my Dremel biter bit until the rubber base separated from the antenna base itself. You will see how poor the metal is and how badly it corroded (welded itself, in my opinion) to all the other parts. Then to get at the antenna base, good luck trying to get off the fasteners on the plastic fender well splash shields. They don't just "pop" out. So some extra advice is to get all the antenna parts from Toyota so you can see how they connect to each other and you can direct the grinding better. Main antenna base was around $50, the rubber base was around $20 and the castle nut was $5 for a total of around $75.00. Trust me, you will need all these parts and my dealership stocked them (Hmm...did they know this was a weak part?) Plus all those parts are made in the Phillipines where I'm sure they don't have weather like we do in Massachusetts. Maybe this created the corrosion condition because of the snow/salt up here. I'm not sure. If you're going to attempt this, plan a whole day my friend...you'll need it!
    Good Luck!
    Ozzman

jeminyned likes this.
  4. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    mihiinme

mihiinme New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 Tacoma
    Wow, Thanks for the heads up on this one. This one has been driving me crazy and that would have been the last place I tried

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    the Philippines have crazy weather. just I don't think it snows and if it does then they prob don't salt the roads.

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    my reception isn't that great...i'll have to investigate...thanks :thumbsup:

7. Sep 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    mine just started acting up here in the last 2 weeks.have to check it out for sure.

8. Sep 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    kiteman78

kiteman78 [OP] Member

Member:
    Glad this tip has been useful to some of you.
    Gotta love the power of the internet.
    Jesse

9. Sep 10, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    hmmmmmm not good.. anyway to prevent the salt from getting in there after checking it out? I haven't had the problem, but from the sounds of it will someday. I'm all for preventive maintenance on things like this.

Silicon? Rubber washers? ideas?

10. Sep 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    When I replaced my antenna with a rubber shorty. I cleaned both of the treaded parts with a electronic contarc cleaner and preservative (DeoxIT) and then put a smaill rubber washer to help keep it sealed and to keep it from getting loose.

11. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Thanks for the info. My reception has started to suck this year and I thought it must be corrosion at the connection to the back of the reciever. I didn't realize there was another connection in the passenger side pillar, I'm going to check it all out to see if I can clean things up and maybe use some dielectric grease on the connection. Hopefully that improves things. :cheers:

12. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Questions...........

Answer.............

Love this place.....................:D

13. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    I loose channel when i put the taco in reverse........no biggie but still...

14. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    kjmc

kjmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Alliston,Ontario,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD-SR5 4x4 DCAB
    Truxedo Lo-pro-Qt Sirius Radio
    I complained about radio reception from new,asked the dealership to take a look at the problem more than once while under warranty nothing wrong I'm told. After a year of complaining they replace the radio, Gurrrrr still sucks, then I replace with after market single Din JVC unit radio reception still f--ked, only listen to 2 and a half stations plus AUX Music and CD'S. Six years later I find this post and know what I'm doing tomorrow.

P.S. The antenna almost fell out one day while washing the Taco so lots of chances for shit to get in there !!! told my Bro to check his Taco same thing with his 2011 .

15. Aug 13, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    wylee

wylee Member

Member:
    Northern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4.0L Access cab 4x4
    Just realized I never thanked the OP. I put a new antenna base in my 08 in the spring.

Thank you kiteman78.

16. Aug 13, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    I have this exact same issue. i will troubleshoot this when i get off work today. Thanks OP!

17. Aug 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    kiteman78

kiteman78 [OP] Member

Member:
    So glad this helped so many of you out.
    Long live the Tacos and this board.
    It's an invaluable resourse for Taco owners!

18. Nov 7, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    sylbo

sylbo New Member

Member:
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I own a Tacoma 2008 TRD (4 doors) for 3 years now and always found my radio reception really bad. I did a test "scan" and only reach 5 stations. I then did what this post suggested and went from 5 stations scan to 17 stations with a temp wire. See attached picture for the test, it only takes 5 minutes. Now I need to plan on fixing the antenna base. for a permanent fix. THANKS A BUNCH AGAIN !

IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg

19. Nov 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    sylbo

sylbo New Member

Member:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  20. Apr 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM
    coveylane

coveylane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Thanks to everyone for this especially the original poster. I tried a new antenna mast but that didn't help it. So I have been listening to CDs for quite awhile. I have put this off because I knew it was going to a big job. After reading all this, I have renewed faith I can fix it.

Products Discussed in

To Top