1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Access Cab Pooch Platform - The Way I Did It

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by molimelight, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Nov 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    molimelight

molimelight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    Thought I'd go ahead and throw this up here for anyone else considering doing this for their dog. There's several others on here in different threads. Let me say right off the bat that I tend to over-think and over-engineer things, so this may not be for everybody.

Basically it consists of two small tables (10" x 18") that sit in the foot wells of the access cab and a covered piece of plywood (18" x 50") that bolts to the tables. There is a 1" x 1" piece of wood, also covered, at the back of it that sits on the back of the storage bins. I used glue and countersunk screws from the top prior to covering it. This raises it above the plastic piece that houses the seat belts in the middle. Also before covering, I countersunk a couple of lag bolts in the platform to go through the holes in the tables and they are secured with some 5/16-18 repair handles that I had from a repair on a lawn mower that I didn't do because the mower wound up dying. Once it's attached to the tables it's pretty solid. I've included some photos of the components and how it looks when assembled. It goes in and out pretty easily, although I leave it in a lot. The materials list is below the photos.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to include a photo of Katy. She's a rescue that lived in the crawl space under a rental house that is on my property for three months. She had a tough life before, and is extremely shy so she refused to pose. I've had her for two years and she just began to bark about 3 months ago. She likes the platform much better than the front seat of the 1999 standard cab I had before.

Here's the material I used from Home Depot:

8 in. Parsons Table Leg
    Model # 2658
    Internet/Catalog SKU# 100576592

These were trimmed by about 1 " or so at the bottom to maintain level of the platform. They have to be ordered for store pickup.

Heavy Duty Top Plate
    Model # 2755
    Store SKU # 779225
    Internet/Catalog SKU# 100390125

These come in a package of four. If you use 1/2" plywood you'll have to get a shorter screw or it will barely poke out of the top side.

The plywood was 1/2" Birch plywood from HD. It's barely more expensive than the good grade pine plywood and it's twice the quality. The 1" x 1" is pine trim from HD. It's in the hardwood section. Again, a little more expensive than the construction grade stuff, but it's not warped.

I almost forgot, the carpet is from Parts Express. It's good quality and is not too stiff to fold and staple. I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive and a pneumatic stapler to attach it. The stapler made it go a lot easier.

Sorry about the huge-ass post. If you have questions, feel free to post them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Greenbean likes this.
  2. Nov 9, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    Nice! I'm favoriting this. Plan to do something similar for my pooch.

Glad you've given Katy a good life!

3. Nov 9, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    Great looking partner there. And nice fit and finish on your platform. I went much cheaper. I found a pair of cardboard boxes that fit perfectly on the floor and were a perfect match for height. I cut a piece of commercial rubber floor covering that my wife brought home from work as a scrap. And, then I picked up one of those seat covers on a clearance rack for less than $10. Mine probably doesn't come out as easy as yours. I use the boxes to hold tie downs, a rain poncho, a small tarp, and some other supplies that might come in handy.

P1060014.jpg

Scout likes it fine. I've never actually transported a person back there, so it goes months between times I disassemble. Usually, the "seat" cover is desperately due for the laundry by then.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Nov 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    molimelight

molimelight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    Thanks for the compliments. Jere, you gave me an idea. I need to find someone who can sew some elastic to a rectangular piece of material, sort of like a fitted sheet, only heavier, for those times when it's messy out. Scout's a good looking dog!

5. Nov 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Glad to see this idea spreading! Posted mine up over 4 years ago...and have seen more and more doing this! Your dog is gonna love you

6. Nov 17, 2014 at 5:51 AM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    Just made mine. It isn't quite as nice as yours but it works pretty well:

photo2_zpse204f5dd_ded4f586cb84a5cf1d67e6f5e26df4bf58324da6.jpg

photo1_zps3a7d9169_1b7fceb81f9b5600c366ff62f430a7ec0d5c97c4.jpg

photo3_zpsd4f1b4c6_67b2997d5a32ba105dfb8429e99f4c1f43c95cc9.jpg

I used the cheap canvas dog hammock that was back there to cover it.

Products Discussed in

To Top